*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272198-Golfing-with-Michael
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sports · #1272198
Winner of the 6/5/07 "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge".
This was my first big break as a reporter for the Post—a one-on-one interview with the NBA legend, Michael Jordan. We had arranged for an afternoon of golfing, during which I asked him about his career and success.

“My success in life is because of my work ethic—you can never be a winner unless you put in the sweat,” the superstar said as he struck his golf ball. He sliced the shot, sending the ball into the forest.

It was my turn to swing, and I delivered a beautiful shot down the fairway. “So how did you become as good as you are now?”

“I used to practice my free throw and jump shots for six hours a day. I was terrible, but I never let it get to me.” We had reached his ball in the trees and he hit it back toward the greens. It bounced off a tree, played pinball between the oak trunks, and landed directly back at his feet. “The most important lesson is to never give up.”

Jotting down this quotation, I watched him set up to swing once more. This time he hit the ball beautifully—it sailed past all the trees, out into the fairway, and into the woods on the other side of the course.

I suppressed a chuckle as Michael threw down his golf club. He took off his glove and put it in his pocket, turning toward me and grinning.

“Screw this. Want to shoot some hoops?”


251 Words
© Copyright 2007 Potus Emeritus (deer2028 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272198-Golfing-with-Michael