*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272313-Silly-Little-Canary
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1272313
All I can do now is wait and starve because of my few abilities.
    Echos filled the room as the door was violently slammed shut by one of the two strangers. I shivered. They disappeared out of my sight only seconds ago but all the noise was already gone. I could hear nothing but silence now.

    Time passed and I still heard nothing beside undisturbed silence. I waited. I felt too awful to grieve so I just sat there, cursing myself for being a silly, little canary.

    I saw what happened earlier and I felt weak for knowing that I could have done nothing about it. I watched her suffer and made no effort to save her. If loyalty shall be measured by how helpful you could be to your beloved ones when they need it the most, then I shall never be considered loyal.

    Thumbing through her hair, she would lie down on the sofa and read. I'd watch her. Oh how I adored her. I wondered if I'll ever see her again as I glanced down to where she lay earlier this afternoon.

    My daydreaming was suddenly disturbed by the ticking of a clock. It's eight o'clock now. It has been forty-five minutes since she was kidnapped to God knows where. The poor thing had her bags ready to go to England in the morning. I wonder if they'll ever find out what happened to her.

    If only I could talk, I would have told her how much I loved her. If only I could get out of this cage, I would have tried to help her. If only I could cry, I would have released myself from the sorrow within me right now.

    But all I can do now is wait and starve because of my few abilities. All I am is just a silly little canary that couldn’t help her friend. Her only friend.   
© Copyright 2007 Arwachan (arwachan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272313-Silly-Little-Canary