*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274077-Lethe-Thrice-Departed-preface
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Gothic · #1274077
Preface letter by Leigh Hunt, written to Mary Shelley
Dear M-,

I hope this letter finds you well.  By the time of its arrival the year will have dawned afresh for us. I pray only that this freshness can diminish the misery to which this last year has made me a witness.
         
As you know, I spent last year in London with our mutual friend B-, who was home for a short time after his recent foray into Algeria.  He introduced me to the warden of London’s asylum.  My intent was to study those imprisoned and try to deepen my understanding of their dark natures beyond the explanation our culture accepts, that they are morally degenerate and lazy malcontents who are being punished for their sins.  I can see nothing more painful than their broken spirits.  Surely they must feel much akin to your  doctor in his misfortune. Such is our separation from our real natures, my friend.

You empathize, I am sure.  Human plight is your specialty, as your recent work has proven.  How can any of us hope to understand the poor mad?  As I mused over this question, imagine the shock I must have felt to discover the gentle Lady Lethe imprisoned there.  We all knew each other so well, (and we all suspected that B-- would be the first, if not the only, one of our number to be locked away, after that “Big Rain“ line of his), and we also knew that marriage she entered into would destroy her beautiful poetic soul.  Sadly, it has consumed her entirely.  Our Lethe has gone down to dust.

How can I relate how dreadful those final months were?  I listened to her insane raving for days on end, and m y heart broke for her.  She never understood my presence-she saw me with no recognition, and so, ignored me, and spoke as though no one were present. 

This unfortunate fact has enabled me, somewhat, to piece her story together from words she spoke in her lonely cell.  Unhappy woman! 

But there was nothing to be done for her.  I am coming home soon.  I wish to see the soft weather of the Italian spring--even her temperate winter, if I arrive soon enough.  Do greet P-- for me, though due to his ill health I  am not sure if it is proper to tell him about Lethe’s fate.  This, I shall leave to your good judgment.  I am glad to hear he is doing somewhat better-I always heard sailing on the Mediterranean is helpful for many ills.  Maybe he and I shall venture out for a day when I return.  It should do us both well, and I daresay I would greatly enjoy it if he and I could meet when I arrive and sail back to Pisa.

I must bid you farewell for now, I need to rest before undertaking the long road ahead.  I shall see you all again soon. 

                                                                                         Yours,
                                                                               
                                                                                   Leigh Hunt

© Copyright 2007 Clever Cover (clevercover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274077-Lethe-Thrice-Departed-preface