*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275308-Paper-Rain
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1275308
My first story on the site. About a new student... a rather strange kind of student.
Prologue

It was a new term at Mitaki High School, and everyone was sharing stories of their holidays. Tomiko had been away at hockey camp all summer, so Chouko was glad to see her for the first time in ages. A large crowd was gathering in the hallway, and together they were making a rather large amount of noise. That was, until She arrived.

At first, she walked down the corridor like a perfectly normal new student. A little shy, but at the same time confident that she had got into a prestigious school such as Mitaki. It was only when she passed right by them that they felt her presence. Was she an angel, or a devil in disguise?

That was not for us to know.

1.

“Excuse me? I...” she faltered and looked nervous. The others gave her a blank and silent stare. But she was an outsider... a little like me.
“I’m sorry.” She continued. And then she went, leaving a trail of smoky mystery behind her. Tomiko and Takahiro were finding it hard not to laugh, whilst Chouko looked like she was about to cry. But Hotaru, Miyako and Ken’ichi stood, still quiet. And then the whispers started. Not from us, from the other students.

“She has a Puroland bag!”
“And a Dior purse. She’s probably rich.”
“I bet she bought her way into the school. No one could get in eleventh grade, unless they were super-super clever. She just looks like an average student.”

“Hey! Stop it! Don’t be so horrible, it’s obvious she’s shy.” Shouted Saburou suddenly. He’s so... self-assured. If I could be like him...
“Aah, Kaibara’s getting stressed again! And it’s over a girl!”
“Who he doesn’t even know!”
The same whisperers came mimicking Saburou now. But then the bell for first period rang, and it was over.

It turned out that the new girl was in our tutor group. She seemed a little more secure now, and even came to talk to me... but only me. She seemed a little worrying... or maybe worried.

“I can sense it. You were like me, some time ago. Don’t you remember? Don’t you CARE?”
I was lost for words.
“Oh, I am so sorry. New places... New people... make me nervous! I’m Isawaki, by the way. And my first name is Aiko. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
Well, that was odd. But she seemed kind enough.
“And you too. I’m Hara, but if you want, call me Yui. I don’t really mind. Most people are polite, whether they call me my first name or my surname.”
She smiled, so I did too. It was strange, but...

I’ve been with this crowd of friends for three years now, but I never felt at home with them. I never felt like I was a real part of the group. And then this girl shows up, and the first time I speak to her I know that she will always be there for me. But there are many strange things.
© Copyright 2007 Sepia Hill (kipstick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275308-Paper-Rain