*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275382-Destiny-Flight
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1275382
A woman has a conversation with a terrorist plotting to destroy her plane.
      Inside the grey, colorless restroom, a nervous mans reflection stared back at Din from inside the mirror, and though he kept a straight face, he couldn’t hide the alarm that revealed itself so distinctly within his dark eyes. Soon he felt a light tremble shake through him, recognition of fear leading only to the recognition of failure.
        As the tremor increased in his hands and forearms, he took hold of the cold-water valve, turning it until he could no more. A cool stream of water rushed out, drumming noisily upon the metallic surface of the sink before draining down into a miniature whirlpool in the center. Unsteady hands cupped together to gather the cool liquid into a small pool. He splashed it upon his face, and silently hoped it would cleanse away all his uncertainties. No such relief came, only the haunting image of a lovely young girl.
      Soft black waves of beautiful hair fell past delicate shoulders. She stood in a dirt field; her white cotton gown flowed elegantly in a gentle summer breeze. But the child’s lovely brown eyes were filled with disappointment. His hands fell back to the sinks edge, gripping it more tightly now. He closed his eyes, teeth clenching in frustration. The tremor soon vanished almost completely from within his hands; only a tremble of physical strain caused by his firm hold on the sink remained.
        "For Taahira," he grunted. With those simple words he moved for the door and quickly made his way down the aisle to his seat. A young lady slept soundly in the seat by the walkway, one arm resting in her lap, the other hanging limply over her chair arm; her blonde hair was splayed out behind her head. Cautiously, Din slipped by her into the window seat of the plane, her lack of awareness only served his plan, so he was careful not to stir her. He stretched up, watchful not to lose his balance as he opened the storage compartment above. A stewardess shuffled by just as he began unzipping one of the bags inside. Din could hear her chatting with somebody behind her all the while, until at last she addressed him.
        “Need any help?” She asked willingly, a light chuckle escaping her in reply to who Din suspected was the stranger she was just speaking with. Taking hold of a bulky, black book, he zipped the bag up and shut the compartment.
        “No, I uh, just needed my book.” He replied turning around to face her. His eyes were met with the sight of a chubby woman, dressed in neat clothing, a carefree smile on red painted lips. Her smile weakly remained even as she spoke again.
        “Oh, well.” She paused for a moment before looking down to the sleeping female just in front of her. “Ma’am,” she whispered in a dry hiss, “Ma’am?” She blonde only stirred at first, but soon opened her eyes. The chubby stewardess’ weak smile was strengthened in amusement, and with a light chuckle she continued, “Would you like a pillow ma’am?” The young lady just stared at her for a short moment before at last replying.
        “No, I’m fine,” she began dazedly, “I just dozed off.” Her response ended with a smile of thanks. The stewardess nodded understandingly, and finally left the two to themselves. Din sat, laying the book in his lap, but not opening it just yet.
        “Do you like to read?” His neighbor asked, her voice still cracking with fatigue. Din nodded in reply, keeping his gaze on the book, hands resting upon its hard surface. “What’s it called?” She continued, adjusting herself to sit straight up. Din sighed, sliding his hand from over the title of the book where a number of golden foreign symbols were written. He hadn’t even checked until now.
        “Azadeh Khanoom va Nevisandeash.” He read, carefully sounding out every syllable as not to have to repeat him self. The young girl still looked puzzled, and that look of dissatisfaction remained as her lips parted once again. He could see she wanted him to explain it in English, but she backed out at the last minute, instead replying with,
        “I’m Rachael by the way.” She lightly shook her head, fighting off the remnants of curiosity about the book that riddled her mind. Din noticed her offer her hand out of the corner of his eye and reluctantly, reach out for it.
        “Din.” He replied through his teeth, jaw tensing as he firmly took hold of her hand.
        “Din,” she sounded out, a hint of curiosity once again peeked within her, “Is that jewish?”
        “Islamic.” He corrected quickly, taking his hand back gratefully, placing back atop the book.
        “You’re a long way from home, do you like it here?” She pressed boldly, her kind and welcoming expression never completely fading. It comforted him somehow, and held a somewhat strange, discomforting familiarity. Nonetheless, his pulse quickened as she continued to converse, his hand balling into a tight, white-knuckled fist as he thought up a lie.
        “The people here are very kind,” He managed to finally utter. She nodded, pleased with his response; then she began to stand.
        “That’s great, I know its rough leaving home, so I can imagine,” she continued even as she rose from her seat, “…Excuse me.” With that she turned in the opposite direction and started down the aisle toward the restrooms. Din’s heart sank as she left, although at the same time he sighed; it was time to assess the situation.
      He took a quick glance around him, making sure no one was watching him, and then he carefully opened the book, parting it near the center. There was a secret compartment inside, cut about two inches into the pages, snugly fitting around a tiny vial. He ran his fingers over it cautiously, respectful of the invisible poison within.
        “It’ll be just enough…as long as I release it right in the cockpit just before Washington…then…” His thoughts were cut short as a voice broke the silence.
      “Actually, this is the first time I’ve been away from home; or even flown for that matter.” Rachael had returned, picking up right where she had left off. Din quickly slammed the book shut, hopeful she hadn’t noticed. He didn’t look directly at her as she spoke, but instead watched from the corners of his eyes – she was just sitting down, and it seemed as if she was totally oblivious to what was inside the book. Din silently cursed at himself under his breath for his near mistake. “I’m going to college in Washington State, so I figured flying was easier….” She paused for a short moment, a sudden look of embarrassment coming onto her face. “Sorry, I don’t mean to talk so much. It’s just I’m a little anxious I guess.” For the first time Din cracked a slight smile, and in an attempt to take any remnants of focus off himself he replied.
      “It’s hard to believe someone so anxious could sleep so soundly.” Her face flushed a light shade of red as she let out a light chuckle.
      “Ok, ya’ caught me. My mom’s to blame; she’s the talker in the family.” Din nodded along, and though he never looked fully at her, he did gradually turn his head in that general direction as he spoke.
    “Your father does not speak much?”
    “No, well, he’s just a lot more laid back than my mom, she’s…hectic.” Rachael explained more comfortably, never looking back at Din’s lap to see him steadily sliding the book out of view. He carefully parted it as he spoke again.
    “Hectic?”  His voice cracked a little as he hoped she would explain and remain oblivious.
    “Yeah, she’s always busy...,” she continued on. Meanwhile Din worked his fingers into the books edges until he felt the smooth surface of the vial and as she finished her sentence, he effortlessly slipped it out and concealed it within his fist.
    “Ten minutes until the plane arrives at Washington, any passengers not in a seat should be seated within the next five minutes.”  Din suddenly tensed, fighting off the urge to tighten his fist around the vial. In his anxiousness he almost didn’t hear Rachael as she explained about her family.
    “..she’s got me and my sister to look after, and Dad….well, he’s too laid back to do the job on his own…you know what I mean?”
    “Certainly…,” he replied haphazardly.
    “What about you? Who’d you leave behind?” Dins focus narrowed at these words, he turned completely to her as the scene replayed in his mind. Soft black waves of beautiful hair, white cotton gown, that filthy dirt field. He could still see her beautiful brown eyes, empty, lifeless.
    “My daughter…,” he replied simply. Rachael nodded, and ignorant of the whole truth she replied.
    “I’m sure she misses you. Are you bringing her here too? Or are you going back home?”  Din fought off the tears welling up in his eyes.
    “Yes…,” his voice broke for a moment, but he continued more steadily then, “…I’m going back home, to see her again.” Rachael smiled warmly at Din, giving a slight nod.
    “I’m sure she’ll be happy to see you.” He nodded in return, and at last stood.
    “Excuse me.” He said as he squeezed between her and the seats in front of them. “You’re a kind lady.” There was no hiding the bleakness in his voice any longer, the time had come. He held the vial tightly in his fist, as he made his way toward the cockpit. They would restrain him almost as soon as he reached his destination, but he only needed a second. He could shed no tears for Rachael’s family, despite his regret in taking her from them. Din wanted only what she herself had seemed to understand, to see his daughter again. After so long, he would soon be with her again, and he was certain that she’d be happy to see him.
© Copyright 2007 No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practi (speck18 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275382-Destiny-Flight