*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275499-New-Profession-Virtual-Assistant
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1275499
A Virtual Assistant was unheard of a decade ago
By Makesha Ramel Caldwell


Internet Explosion Created a New Profession: Virtual Assistant

A Virtual Assistant was unheard of a decade ago because the Internet had yet to make it into most American's homes. It is one of the few legitimate work at home careers that can command up to 100 dollars an hour. It has a low start-up cost and is dominated by women. According to the George Washington University forecast of emerging technology, Virtual Assisting will become a $130 Billion Industry by 2008. Virtual Assisting is going to continue to grow due to corporate downsizing and the proliferation of outsourcing. According to the Virtual Assistant Networking Association, the largest on line meeting place for virtual assistants,

A Virtual Assistant works independently at an arm’s length, via the Internet, utilizing the latest technologies, to provide immediate professional support, services and skills to busy entrepreneurs and business managers.
A virtual assistant business includes an independent contractor who takes on the role of a secretary for a small business owner. They are usually former “in-house” secretaries that have been downsized but more often they are women who just want a career and be able to be their own boss. Virtual Assistants come from all walks of life and have various skills. Not every virtual assistant offer the same services but often you will see most of them offering every possible secretarial service. Why? The reason is due to subcontracting. A lot of virtual assistants who have established practices take on all the work that they can get but subcontract it out for a lower wage. Thus making money on all work while satisfying their clients.

The independent contractor virtual assistant can be available during normal business hours or make up their own non-traditional hours to be available. The beauty about being a business owner is the ability to make up your own hours. While a brick and mortar business has the same right of setting whatever hours they choose, it is usually a little difficult to do due to buyer demands dictating when and at what times they are most likely to buy. Fortunately, virtual assistants have a lot more leeway. Their hours can be the exact opposite of the normal nine to five and it is just fine because work has to be completed by a deadline and not within a certain time of day. Also, most Virtual Assistants do not answer their clients phones which also aid in the allotment of flexible hours.

A virtual assistant is just that “virtual” meaning he or she can be anywhere in the world and be able to produce work such as typing, word processing, & anything a secretary in an office can do. There is such beauty in “virtual” because the scenery is what the virtual assistant makes it. Many virtual assistants travel the world and are often in a different time zone and sometimes a different country than their clients. This profession allows a lot of stay-at-home moms and individuals with disabilities to make money. At Miracosta College in North San Diego, California, a virtual assisting course is offered on line and is promoted through the Disabled Students Program and Services Office.

The reason why anyone would love to be a virtual assistant is because all work for the day can be done in pajamas in the comfort of the independent contractor virtual assistant's home or from across the world. There is such freedom in a portable office. A virtual assistant who is a mom does not have to call into her employer if her child is sick and she has to stay at home. A disabled person does not have to live off of Social Security Disability just because they cannot work nor drive to an office. Virtual Assisting is one profession that opens up doors that would normally be closed to individuals who cannot leave their homes for various reasons.

Many people might ask “How is this possible”? They might also assume that a someone who does secretarial duties must greet customers and answer the phones. Greeting customers and answering phones is more of receptionist duties than secretarial duties even though some “in-house” secretaries do those things. Secretarial duties are a little more specialized and can be highly specialized up to being able to command 100 dollars an hour. Duties might include typing, word processing, speech writing , web design, and many others. Virtual Assisting relies on technology. The virtual assistant is able to do all of his or her job thanks to modern technology such as a computer, instant messaging, fax, email, & by telephone.



References: Entrepreneur.com, Miracosta.edu, SBInformer.com,VaNetworking.com

© Copyright 2007 MakeshaRamelCaldwell (makesharamel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275499-New-Profession-Virtual-Assistant