*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275705-The-Fallen---Chapter-4
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1275705
Rachelle meets a stranger.
It was dark when Rachelle began to emerge from her deep healing slumber.  She wasn’t sure how long she had been asleep, but if the depth of the darkness was any indication Rachelle judged that night had fallen again.  She had slept the entire day away.  Slowly she sat up, testing her ribs and other injuries for protest.  She was still sore, but nothing compared to the night before.  Apparently, the combination of Evangeline’s medicines and the long healing sleep had done their work.

Rising stiffly from the cold ground, Rachelle walked over to where Bella was tethered.  Gently rubbing her soft nose, Rachelle murmured, “Sweet Bella…  Thank you for being so patient this day.  I bet you’re hungry, aren’t you?”

As if in agreement, Bella snorted and butted her head against Rachelle’s arm.  Laughing, Rachelle poured out another measure of grain and refreshed Bella’s water.  Bella contented herself with munching at the grain.

Eying the horse speculatively, Rachelle asked, “What do you think we ought to do about travel my girl?”

From the stream near their camp Rachelle heard a splash and a sudden string of curses.  Fear froze her in her tracks.  Silently cursing herself for a fool, Rachelle realized how stupid she had been not taking measures to protect herself out here.

Bella chose this inopportune moment to whiny.

The splashing and the cursing abruptly stopped.  A clearly masculine voice called out, “Who’s there?  Come out and show yourself.”

Rachelle hesitated, unsure of what to do.  Perhaps he didn’t know they were within the branches of the fir.

“If you are hiding within that tree in hopes of robbing me I’ll be glad to slit your thieving throats for your trouble.  Come out from beneath the tree now or you’ll implicate yourself through inaction.”

Shaking her head Rachelle realized that staying hidden was clearly not an option.  Taking a moment to retrieve her hunting knife from the saddlebags, she tucked it into her belt and slowly stepped from within the branches of the tree.

Calmly she took a few steps out into the open glade around the stream.  Soft moonlight cast a pall over everything within the glade: the stream, the small rocks, and the strange man standing within the center of the stream.

“A girl?” he muttered.  “There’s a girl sheltering in my tree.  What in the name of the Light is a little girl doing in the middle of my camp?”

Astonished, Rachelle gaped at him.  He thought her a little girl?  She had never really considered herself small for her age.  However, if he considered her a little girl, perhaps there was not as much to fear from him as she had worried.  Deep inside she wondered if she would ever be able to escape this new fear of men that was the result of Stefan’s actions…

The man was very tall and appeared bulky – as if strongly muscled.  The moonlight turned his hair a rich glowing silver color and his eyes were shining in the dim light.  It was too dark to tell their true color but Rachelle had an idea that they were likely light in color.  His coloring was purely Royal, but he wore rough travel clothes as if he were well used to traveling alone through the wilds.  He carried two swords crossed across his back and a huge hunting knife belted at his waist.  A long bow was loosely strung and laid across the front of his saddle.  A quiver of arrows hung from the saddle horn.  Were it not for the presence of the two huge swords across his back she would have assumed he was a hunter, but what kind of hunter goes into the forest armed with weapons like those swords to hunt?  A mercenary perhaps?  Certainly an enigma…

Turning his attention back to Rachelle, he barked at her, “What are you doing here girl?  How did you find my camp?”

Startled by the return of his attention, Rachelle stammered, “Your camp?  I…I didn’t know this was a camp.  My horse brought me here.  I was hurt and exhausted.  I needed somewhere sheltered to sleep…”

Afraid to say too much Rachelle forced herself to stop babbling and stood cautiously watching the man as he finished crossing the small stream.  As he stepped onto the stream bank, he shook first one foot and then the other – almost like a small indignant dog.  Rachelle knew better than to smile even as amusing as the sight was.  She was still uncertain of this man’s intentions and did not want to appear weak or flighty in front of him.

Watching her watching him, he smiled grimly and took another step forward.  Rachelle immediately drew her knife and took two steps back.  He froze and pointed to the knife.  “There’s no need for that girl.  I mean you no harm.”

“And I would know that how?” she asked pointedly making no move to re-sheathe the knife.  She would never again allow herself to be cornered as Stefan had cornered her – she would put up a fight to make any man regret his decision to come close to her.

Chagrined, he nodded.  “I see your point lass.  Perhaps we should try this again.  If you will allow me to introduce myself – you may call me Royan.  Jack of all trades, master of none.”  He closed with what appeared to Rachelle to be quite an elegant, self-effacing bow.  Perhaps there was some truth to that Royal coloring…  A bastard of one of the lines perhaps?

Warily she responded, “I am called Rachelle.”

He quirked an eyebrow and asked, “Just Rachelle, little one?  No family name?  No trade?  No home?”

Alarmed, she asked, “Why all these questions Master Royan?  Think you to determine if I am worthy prey or more trouble than the effort merits?”  She raised her hunting knife in front of herself again and continued, “Let me assure you, small you may think me, but I can and will defend myself against the likes of you.  You might be able to have your way or even kill me, but I will make you regret it before you are finished.”

Hands held placatingly in front of his chest, he argued, “Child!  No!  What kind of treatment have you had that you so quickly assume the worst of a fellow traveler?  Even were I the sort to take advantage of a young woman alone in the night, you have barely enough flesh on you to make it worthwhile.  I prefer my women both willing and womanly…”

Uncertain of an appropriate response to what almost felt like an insult, Rachelle said nothing.  She simply continued to watch him for signs of aggression.  She thought the clearing seemed to warm a bit as the wind picked up.  But that wasn’t likely – it was the middle of the night after all…

Royan lifted his head at the slight breeze and sniffed the air.  “Ahhhh,” he murmured.  “So that’s the way of it is it?”

He spoke so softly Rachelle wasn’t certain she understood what he said.  She was fairly sure that she had misunderstood his words because they made no sense.  Shaking her head, she wondered privately at what a strange creature this Royan was.

It seemed that Royan came to terms with something in himself, because he suddenly shook himself and smiled disarmingly at her.  “How’s about this little one?  I’ll give you a vow on my honor and that of the Hundred that I mean you no harm.  You are welcome to share my camp with me and I will do what I can to aid you.  I’m not sure where you are going, but if we are headed in the same way, you are welcome to travel with me as far as you desire – my presence will serve as a measure of protection for you as long as we are on the road together.”

Rachelle looked at him speculatively.  She wasn’t sure whom the Hundred were that he spoke of but clearly, they were something important to him.  And it would be safer if she had a traveling companion.  How much would she have to tell him?  If she told him any of it, would be change his mind?  Rescind his offer and leave her to fare alone?

Sighing Rachelle rasped at him, “First – I have a name and it is not ‘little one’…  It is Rachelle.  I’m not certain why you persist in calling me ‘little’ – I’m nearly a woman grown.  Second – Yes.  Thank you.”

Royan stood a moment trying to make sense of the conversation.  “Yes?  Yes what?  I believe I offered several things l..Lady Rachelle.”

Rachelle snorted, “Lady?  Nice cover.  I’m certainly not a Lady, m’Lord.  I mean yes I will take you up on all your offers.  I’m not at this point certain of where my journey is to lead me so for the time being I would be willing to accompany you on your travels.  When I find where I am meant to be I will take my leave of you – assuming you have not tired of shepherding me about before then.”

Astonished, Royan wasn’t sure what the correct response was.  He was heartened by the sarcasm in her voice – that was a good sign at least.  The child had a spine of iron but he was glad to see that it was tempered with humor.  Even if it was a sharp and cutting humor.  Nodding briefly, he indicated his agreement, and said, “Well that settles it I imagine.  Perhaps you could put your blade up now?”

Rachelle looked down at her hand as if it belonged to a stranger, “Oh.  Yes.  Perhaps that would be a good idea.  It doesn’t do to brandish a weapon at your traveling companion I suppose…”  She hesitantly sheathed the knife and looked expectantly at Royan.

He smiled that disarming smile of his again and asked, “What’s for dinner?”

~*~

Miles and a mountain range away, Evangeline was packing her belongings into her small cart and talking soothingly to Sam the donkey.  “Don’t you worry old boy.  We weren’t very happy in this little village were we?  These folk are so single minded.  Not to mention simple-minded…  They were always afraid of our little girl.  That should have been the first clue this was no place to settle.”

Sighing heavily Evangeline continued muttering to herself, “But that fact aside, who would have imagined that I would have to relocate this late in my life.”

“I only hope my little chick has made it somewhere safe.  And thank the Light she was gone before they came and tore the cottage apart…”

Stiffly Evangeline climbed up into the small seat of her market cart.  Clucking softly at Sam she set him on the road towards Edgemont – the only city of any size this side of White Witches – the mountain range that separated Aldis from Gallia to the west. 

Deep inside Evangeline prayed that Rachelle had made good time and would escape the search parties sent out to look for her.  She also prayed that she herself would survive the trip from here to Edgemont.
© Copyright 2007 Morgayne24 (morgayne24 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275705-The-Fallen---Chapter-4