*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275737-The-End
by 7up
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1275737
Is happily ever after happily ever after...
Quote: “A happy ending isn’t really the end. It’s just the place where you choose to stop telling the story.”

-Leah Stewart, The Myth of You & Me

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


THE END?

“Mary,” her husband said gently, “we can only try.”

“Well, I’m tired of trying!” Impatiently, she brushed away a tear. “This isn’t the way it was supposed to be!”

“But Honey, the doctor said…”

“The same thing he’s been saying for the last eight years, and I’m tired of it! And worst of all -” she choked back her tears and didn’t say; “Worst of all, is what this has done to you - my strong, beautiful, broken husband.”

She pulled the EPT test from Jon’s trembling hand and buried her face in the pillows.

“He shouldn’t see me cry,” she whispered fiercely, “He’s suffering enough!”

-------------------------

“Shhh, Honey, it's okay,” Jon said softly, stroking her wet cheek. “We did it!” His touch brought her back from the past. This was real. This was now.

“Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, it’s a healthy baby girl.”

Happy tears fell on the soft, pink bundle in her arms.

“I can finally cry,” she laughed, “What a relief!”

----------------------------

The curtain fell to huge applause. The actors took their bows.

When the lights went down on stage, she sunk to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. The soft, pink baby blanket fell from her hands.

It was empty.

.............................



Word count : 200

© Copyright 2007 7up (srh7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275737-The-End