*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275779-Bus
by Rose
Rated: E · Prose · Experience · #1275779
A short piece of prose, my first attempt at writing, it came to me on a recent bus journey
Red-brick houses rambled past. Unconsciously she stared at still-flickering street lamps, sharp and unnerving in the gentle morning light. Her thoughts strayed to other people, other places, as they so frequently did these days. Briefly reawakened upon catching sight of the strikingly unnatural flow of the canal waters, further interrupted by little mounds of rusted beer cans and gatherings of abandoned footballs, she found herself sinking slowly into a foreign conversation. Four seats in front a young child laughed; six seats behind and old man slept, the stale guinness swirling round his gut.

She gazed into a family home, three paintings on a wall; slices of blue sheet plastic blocked the adjacent scene. Her surroundings both distracted and reminded her. At the familiar sight of steel scaffolding she stirred, preparing herself she stepped out, her sole slapping the pavement.
© Copyright 2007 Rose (loopylady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275779-Bus