*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275890-Darrens-First-Adventure
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1275890
A Flash Fiction Fantasy story. My first attempt at writing fantasy.
Darren and The Lion

Darren stopped moving. Something was wrong. He could sense it. He looked around, trying to sense whatever had disturbed him. He was on a trail, just starting up a small hill. Long green prairie grass grew about two feet high on both sides of the crooked path. A small grove of trees about twenty-five feet tall bordered the trail on the left. He could sense something in there, but he didn’t think that was the source of the danger. Still, he had to know.
Darren grasped his staff in the middle, so he could use it as a defense weapon if necessary. He could feel the runes he had carefully carved into it under his Uncle Lehman’s supervision so many years ago. He cast his thoughts around, trying to gather his magical power. He stepped toward the small grove. He gasped as he heard a voice in his head, but not with his ears. As he heard the voice, he saw the largest mountain lion he had ever seen crouched and watching him. The lion was only a few feet away, much too close for Darren to use his magic to defend himself.
“Wizardling, your magic is not much use to you if you do not stay alert.” The lion seemed to be laughing gently at him.
Even more surprised, Darren simply stared at the lion. “How can you speak in my mind? Where do you come from?” Darren spoke to the lion, not believing his own eyes.
“This is not my world and I am not truly a lion. This shape was convenient. I am here to protect you from yourself. Your magic skills are a terrible danger to you. You must not abuse your magic. I am here to help you learn to use your skill carefully and properly.” The lion again spoke directly to Darren’s mind. “However, we have no time to explain now. The danger you sensed is real and already upon you. Look over the next hill.”
Darren was too surprised to do anything but obey. As he carefully peeked over the hill, his blood ran cold at what he saw. Some travelers, probably a family, were setting up camp just off of the path. A middle-aged man had set up their wagon and started a fire for cooking. His wife was bustling about, directing a young boy and a teenaged girl in staking the horses out and getting the food ready to cook. They were totally oblivious to a group of rough-looking men sneaking up on them.
Darren glanced at the sky. With a sinking heart, he realized that the bandits were too close. He did not have enough time to gather icestones from the meager clouds in the blue sky. With a shrill yell, the bandits charged the unprotected family. He had no choice but to fight the bandits, but he knew his chances were not good. He was only one teenage boy against five armed bandits, but he had to try. Shouting as loud as he could, he charged the bandits. The family looked up, startled at the shouting. The older man grabbed a large stick from the pile of firewood he had gathered. Darren reached his side and they fought the bandits as well as they could, but it was hopeless. Darren heard the lion in his head again. “You would fight without your magic, Wizardling?”
“No time!” Darren shouted at the lion.
Amused, the lion answered, “Then I will not use mine either.” With a loud roar that echoed back from the surrounding hills, the lion charged the bandits himself. The closer he got, the larger he looked.
The bandits looked around and saw the lion charging. Darren shouted with relief to see the sudden fear in their eyes. All of them turned and ran, leaving Darren and the family group unharmed.
The lion spoke to Darren. “Later, Wizardling, come to the grove. I will explain to you, but these people have no need to hear what we must discuss.” With that, he turned and walked back into the grove.
The man spoke to Darren. “I don’t know who you are, young man, or how you came to help us. I don’t know where the lion came from or where he went, but I can see you saved our lives. We are grateful. Would you stay with us and share our meal?”
Since Darren had been traveling fast and light, he had not had a hot meal in several days. “I would be pleased and grateful for the hot supper.” He glanced at the young girl and back to her parents. “ But first we really should move your wagon a little further back off the path. You and the lad and I can move it that far ourselves without hitching the team back up.”
As they were moving the wagon, the man introduced his family. “I am Gavin the Blacksmith,” he said, “and my wife is called Wanda. These are our children, Reese and Rachel.”
“I am Darren Oakstaff,” Darren answered. My parents and my uncle were killed and I am traveling back to the east side of the mountains, where I have relatives.”
“We have also seen violence,” Gavin answered. The Sheriff of Wayside took our home and all our livestock except these two horses. They prepare for war. We want no part of an evil war or a people who would submit so easily to such injustice, so we also travel. However, we have no destination because we have no other family.”
Without thinking, Darren asked Gavin to travel with him. “Gavin, I am sure there is room for you with my father’s relatives. Come with me and perhaps you can find a home also.”
Darren and Rachel had been glancing at each other shyly, neither wanting to be embarrassed but each still wanting to know more about the other. Rachel appeared to be about 15, but was already a fully-grown and very pretty young woman. Glancing at Darren, a tall and strong young man, then at Rachel, Gavin answered, “Well, we can travel with you that far. You are welcome to share our provisions. Certainly we will be grateful for your help. We will see what may happen when we get there.”
“Thank you for your hospitality,” Darren answered. Thinking to himself, he decided that the rest of his trip would certainly be interesting. Then, he heard the lion in his mind again.
“Wizardling, it is a good thing to help others. It appears that the young woman welcomes your help and your company, but don’t let her charms cause you to forget to come to the grove after nightfall so we can talk.” Darren thought he could hear the lion chuckle, but he could not see any sign that the others had heard the lion.
“I’ll be there after supper,” he spoke in his mind but not aloud. “I need to know more about you.”
The lion chuckled again. “No, I think you need to know more about yourself, or about the young lady, but we can begin the training with me. Be there in two hours.”
And so, Darren began his travels in the realm of magic as well as his learning in the world of men. There was much ahead of him, but for now he was content. He had friends, shelter, food, and a goal. He could take the rest as it came.


© Copyright 2007 Brother Don (donaldbrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1275890-Darrens-First-Adventure