*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1276484-The-Ghost-Wing-A-Curious-Account
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1276484
Pirates and swordplay abound.
    The sun was high in the cloudless sky, the beach was sweltering. A line was drawn in the sand. Forming a ring around it was the sullen faced crew. The time had come.
     
    Raven and Gabe took thier places on either side of the line. Each was armed with only a cutlass, nothing to protect against tthe cold steel of her opponents blade but her own blade. The sweat was pouring off the combatants like they were being drenched by their own personal rain cloud.
       
    Gabe moved first. She lunged at Raven attempting to catch her across the thigh. Raven anticipated her movement and stepped aside thrusting her sword at Gabe. It sliced deep into her forearm. Gabe cried out in agony and sank to her knees. Blood streamed down her arm and splattered in large crimson drops, staining the bleached sand.

    Raven attacked, Gabe rolled out of her way. Raven staggered but caught her balance and turned to come at Gabe again. She made a slash at Gabe's throat, missing by inches. The narrow miss brought Gabe to her senses. She rose and made a fresh attempt. But the sun was to her adversary's advantage. Bright spots speckled her vision. Raven took the opportunity to deal a blow woth the hilt of her sword. It hit it's mark at the back of Gabe's head and sent her reeling to the ground.   

    Gabe, with great effort, rolled onto her back. Raven was standing over her, weapon poised, like a snake ready to strike. Gabe aimed a hard kick into her shin. Raven cursed loudly and brought her sword down hard. Gabe parried. Raven was unprepared for resistence, her sword flew across the circle. Fury boiled to the surface as she saw a glint of triumph in Gabe's eyes. Like a glass too full it spilled over. In one swift movement she seized a dagger hidden in her boot and held it in her fist, inches from Gabe's heart.

    The silence was deafening. Time seemed to slow as every eye watched the dagger. Gabe's breath came in ragged gasps. Raven looked into her eyes, ready to deal the final blow, but what she saw there stopped her heart. The blade began to shiver as she looked into a face full of resignation as terror. The anger that a moment ago was fresh had been squelched. Reality came flooding in through a gate long closed by jealousy. Raven began to tremble all over, the knife shook violently.

    She threw it away from her and ran across the beach to the ship. Gabe fainted under the combined affects of bloodloss and relief. She was carried aboard to be cleaned and mended. 
© Copyright 2007 Eleanora Salvatore (dancerpip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1276484-The-Ghost-Wing-A-Curious-Account