*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1276987-Readers-Love-Weekly-Comic-Mystery-Serial
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Comedy · #1276987
"It Happened in Plainfield" grows loyal readership by word of mouth and web marketing.
Since its launch two months ago, the FREE weekly web serial "It Happened in Plainfield" has been growing a loyal readership based mostly on word of mouth and consistent web marketing. The comic mystery now has a following of several hundred, with new readers finding the website each day. Feedback has been extremely positive, with many fans claiming to be completely "hooked" on the story, the characters and the witty narrative.  (www.ithappenedinplainfield.com)

“It Happened in Plainfield” follows the quirky adventures of Henson Ray, an NYC graphic designer whose life is turned upside down after he interviews for a job with the mysterious Unity Kingsmill. But once the interview is over, he’s soon rewarded with more than he expected—a new job, a new house, and a new life in Plainfield, NJ. And while life appears to be taking an upward turn, he soon notices peculiar activity in the house across the street. His neighbors all look like famous celebrities— George Clooney, Ben Affleck, Oprah Winfrey, etc. And what’s more, they seem to be spying on him. Is Henson going crazy, or is there a logical explanation?

The humorous web serial provides a weekly glimpse of Henson’s life, as he soon finds himself deeply embroiled in a real-life mystery involving famous celebrities, peculiar neighbors, RAMBO parties, and a secret society bent on his destruction.

“It’s not serious literature by any means,” says author Michael Latshaw. “I just wanted to write a good old-fashioned serial-type story that would be enjoyable to read and keep people coming back for more. And so far, they have.”

Latshaw has built his growing readership mostly by word of mouth and promoting the story through various web resources and online forums. The viral marketing approach appears to be working, as new readers continue to post positive feedback every day. They’ve also begun making requests, like asking that chapters be available in PDF format so they can print them off to read on the train or bus. Or suggesting that Latshaw start an e-mail update service to remind readers when a new chapter is added. Latshaw has complied with both requests.

“Some people seem to think the story is based on my own life,” Latshaw says with a smile. “But I assure you it is not.”

To access the ongoing story, please visit www.ithappenedinplainfield.com

Latshaw is the son of celebrated puppeteer George Latshaw, who passed away in December 2006 after a long illness. After his death, The New York Times referred to Mr. Latshaw as “the Dean of American Puppetry.”
© Copyright 2007 WizardofWit (mlatshaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1276987-Readers-Love-Weekly-Comic-Mystery-Serial