*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278095-The-Amulet-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1278095
Cade and Alize meet, destined to save or destroy their world. RR&R.
ALIZE:

        A wolf howled in the distance, celebrating the clear full moon. Thousands of stars glimmered against the clear dark sky. A perfect mirror of the scene was reflected across the sea, moving with the waves. Alize meandered through the tide, watching the water lap at her toes, smiling to herself. Everything was so perfect, the gentle breeze through her hair and skirts, the continuous beat of the waves as they hit the rocks, the soothing light of the moon above her: everything. So perfect and so forbidden. She knew if she was ever caught out here on her own, let alone at night, she’d pe punished as she could never comprehend. But it was addictive, she’d been coming for years, and didn’t intend to stop. She lifted her gaze to the bay, it was so different at night, quiet and empty.

         As the wind picked up speed, a shiver racked her body. Pulling her thin cloak tightly around her, Alize turned inland, towards the high rock cliffs that lined the shore. Finding a flat rock on the beach she gathered her skirts and took a seat. A bird flew across the water; she watched it's silhouette for a second, watching it make perfect loops around the bay, free to soar. She lifted a hand to brush through her windblown hair, then she fingered the silver teardrop shaped amulet around her neck. Iram had given it to her for her birthday, she'd worn it everyday since. It was made of something lighter and brighter than silver. A small light blue gem sat in the center of it.

         At the thought of him her heart stopped, as it always did, and she fingered the hem of her skirt nervously. She smiled slightly, wondering if Iram had any idea what he was getting himself into, he couldn't have picked a crazier person.  If everything was to go as planned he was going to ask for her hand; at the Spring Banquet on the third day of the Festival. He'd been in Arangosa for five months now, three of which they had been together. She'd never expected to marry a full Nymph, one like herself. There weren't many available around these parts, or anywhere for that matter. The pure blooded Nymphs had been dying out for centuries. Iram was a warrior, strong, smart, and sophisticated. She'd fallen deeply for him even before she found out her father had had them matched up for a while.

         They went well for one another. Alize was never one to say much in public, learning early on that if she talked too much she’d either say the wrong thing or embarrass herself. Iram was even quieter, and they fit well, saying what was necessary, embracing comfortable silences. He was tall and muscular. Beautiful, just like any full blooded Nymph, with golden hair just a shade darker than her own. Alize smiled at the image. He was sweet, courteous. Every bit the prince she’d been dreaming of. And when he smiled a true smile, her heart would melt.

         Restless again, she stood. She was nearing where the shore made a sharp turn, the cliffs were blocking her view of around the corner. As she approached the turn, Alize began humming softly to herself. She’d barely uttered a few notes when she froze. Stopped singing, stopped walking, stopped breathing. Something wasn't right. Her Nymph senses kicked in and she located the source of her uneasiness. It was coming from around the bend.

        Easing herself over to the corner she peered around the rock and down the beach. The massive cliffs continued into the distance, gradually decreasing in height until disappearing into the forest. At first she saw nothing. After less than a minute, however, a figure emerged from the shadows of the far off forest. The moon glinted off of metal at their ankles; their whole attire was black. She watched them curiously, the persons pace was hastened and they seemed anxious. Wary, Alize tried to move, but she was frozen to the spot. Not afraid, just too curious to leave.

        A small irritable warning began stirring in the back of her mind. She shook her head, trying to rid it like it. But as the person drew closer the feeling of uneasiness grew. Trying to take her mind off it Alize studied the person and confirmed it was a man. It was then, when she took her gaze off the man, that she noticed the shadow, hovering in the crevasses at the edge of the cliff. It wasn't moving and she tried to convince herself it was just a rock, but then it turned. As soon as it looked her way all of her senses screamed. Whomever, whatever it was, it wasn't a nymph nor common folk. Their aura burned with natural magic, more than she'd ever experienced before.

        The other man was oblivious to the shadow, he was now running and kept running. He ran straight towards it. As the man ran by the shadow it stepped out of the darkness. She recognized a boy of some kind, probably near her age. He emerged from the hiding place and followed the man. He had long shaggy hair and simple clothing. Alize observed wide-eyed as the boy stealthily followed the man, dodging in and out of shadows and hiding places every time the man turned.

        Alize watched the man, because looking at the boy, who's aura radiated anger, was hurting her head. It then dawned on her that the two of them were heading straight towards her. Instantly afraid, she pulled back behind the rocks she’d previously been sitting on, trying to decide what to do. Suddenly, out of the corner of her eyes, a piece of metal glinted in the moonlight. She switched her gaze to the boy, who was now holding a small dagger. Her already wide eyes became wider and she gasped. She started to shake, frantically thinking about what she should do. They were now right around the corner, she couldn't let that boy kill this man. She wouldn't.

        The boy was advancing fast. Alize just sat, as much a part of the cliff as the rock next to her was. She was perspiring now, completely unable to move. Suddenly the boy jumped, and Alize screamed. It was quick but loud and at it’s warning the man turned just in time to move out of the way. He rolled on the ground and while getting back on his feet grabbed one of the knives from his boots. The man brought the curved knife up, but missed and elbowed the boy in the stomach instead. The boy rolled twice on the ground, bringing his dagger up in time to meet the knife as it angled towards his throat. During this time the man had removed the second knife from his other boot. As the man had all his attention on the second knife the boy grabbed the wrist holding the first knife with his free hand. The boy squeezed, pressing his thumb on a pressure point. The knife dropped out of the mans hand. At the same time the boy twisted out of way of the mans second knife. The man, striking air where the boy should have been fell onto his stomach, suddenly off balance. The boy jumped on the man’s back, pinning him down with his knees. He then took both of the mans knives and threw them an astounding distance. The boy twisted the mans arms behind his back and positioned his dagger at the mans throat.

        Alize, suddenly aware of what he was about to do, got up and started running towards them. The boy whispered something in the mans ear, and instead of cutting the mans throat, lifted the knife, preparing to stab him. Through all of this they hadn't even noticed Alize, running towards them, and at the moment the boy was about to carry out his mission she jumped, knocking into the boys side and sending him sprawling onto his back.

        At the impact, every muscle in her body screamed danger. And when she came in contact she thought her head was going to explode. She could feel the determination radiating from his aura. In the few seconds that she managed to keep the boy pinned the man jumped up and ran. The boy threw her body aside and hurried to follow. Alize slammed against a nearby rock and her head thrashed dangerously against it. As her vision swarmed there was suddenly a blinding light. She heard the boy let out a scream of anguish further down the beach, and felt her blood turn cold.

        At that moment the boy whirled around. His glowing green eyes looking straight at her. Every part of her screamed to run but she sat, paralyzed with fear, dizziness and anger. When he broke eye contact Alize found she could breath again. Then, suddenly, he started running towards her. She shrieked and tried to move. But as soon as she stood she was blinded by the pain from her head. Tears streaming down her face Alize tried to clear her swarming vision. She barely noticed when the boy knocked her to the ground onto her back. Kneeling over her he screamed.

        “You have no idea what you have done,” The anger radiating from him was unbearable. Alize was sure her head would split. She was unaware of how hard she was shaking. As her vision cleared she found herself looking up into his stunning green eyes with her terror-filled blue ones. “You-“ the boy suddenly broke off. There was a look of astonishment and confusion on his face. He backed away, muttering. They stared at each other as he backed away slowly. Suddenly Alize gasped as realization flooded her, and her whole body tensed. She scrambled backwards, eyes wide, as a wave of terror washed over her.

        “You’re... You’re a Druyd,” Alize managed to breath. The boy looked up slowly, raising his vision from the ground to look at her. The look on his face was filled with anguish.

        “I won’t take you with me. I can’t.” He explained, his voice void of emotion. Alize felt her heart pounding in her throat, “Leave.” Though she had no idea what he was talking about, Alize didn’t hesitate. She turned and fled.
© Copyright 2007 ξრι (dracoeques at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278095-The-Amulet-Chapter-One