*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278103-The-Amulet-Chapter-Five
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1278103
Cade and Alize meet, destined to save or destroy their world. RR&R.
CHAPTER FIVE:

        The door shut for the fourth time that morning. Alize groaned and rolled over onto her stomach. The healing cream on her new head bandage seeped into her wound and she shuddered. She squeezed her pillow as the pain resided and her finger brushed the handle of the dagger residing beneath it. Immediately, she stiffened. After a moment’s hesitation she carefully brought it out. Propping herself up on her elbows she studied the object.
   
    It was made of pure silver and three emerald’s studded the handle. The largest gem held an insignia of some sort that had been scratched off as if someone had attempted to erase it. Except for that the entire blade was polished to perfection. Alize caught a glimpse of her haggard reflection on it, scowled, then tossed it aside.

        Sighing, she flopped back onto her pillow and breathed in the freshly washed scent. Felicity had dropped the new pillows off when changing her bandages. The sun glinted off the jewels on the blade and she was instantly reminded of the Druyd boy’s, Cade’s, glowing eyes. Once again she ran through their nighttime meeting and couldn’t understand any of it. Druyd’s were supposed to be evil murdering monster’s. She’d grown up believing that and until now they had been a sort of fairy-tale creature that she’d dismissed as unimportant. And now that she’d looked a pure-blood Druyd in the eyes and there was no question in her mind that her fairy-tale version was completely true. Except that now, instead of being a distant worry, she had one visiting her bedroom. She didn’t trust him at all, and she was dead afraid of him. But she was determined not to let it show.

        After rolling over several times Alize decided she needed to move. Figuring she’d deal with Felicity’s punishment later she swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood up. Instantly she was overcome by a wave of dizziness and fell back onto her bed. Once the room spun back into place she stood again, slowly, and made her way to the door. She peered into the dimly lit hallway and was thankful all the curtains were pulled shut, blinding lights made her head hurt. Using the wall for support she slowly proceeded towards the kitchen.

        Once inside, Alize sat down at the rough wooden table in the center of the room. The kitchen, being the smallest room in the house, was simply furnished. A table sat in the center, bowls of fruit sat on the counters and slabs of meat hung from the wall. Bags of flour and other cooking ingredients littered the floor. Alize guessed they would be made into the spectacular Spring Festival feasts they would all enjoy. The kitchen was Alize’s favorite spot in the house. Except for the few hours a day when Felicity was preparing meals it was almost always empty and the smells of spices and the aroma of freshly made meals always lingered.

        Lost in thought, she jumped when the kitchen door was suddenly thrown open and two people entered, arguing animatedly. Alize whirled around and they suddenly went silent. Iram was standing in the doorway with a girl Alize did not recognize. The girl’s large doe eyes were staring wildy at her and she looked terrified. The girl was small but pretty with long brown hair and a china doll complexion. They were all silent for a moment until Iram regained himself.
        “Alize, I did not expect to find you out of bed,’ He began, straightening as he talked. “This is Saige, Felicity’s new assistant.” Alize smiled at the girl who curtsied clumsily, muttered something, threw one wild look at Iram, and fled the room. Alize gazed at Iram who stood looking uncomfortable.

        “You can sit if you want,” She gestured towards an empty chair but he didn’t move. His gaze traveled to her neck where the sun amulet perched on her bare skin. He swallowed.

        “I see you are still wearing the necklace,” He said pointedly.

        “Why shouldn’t I be?” She asked momentarily, confused. She remembered what Felicity had said the night before and felt her stomach twist uncomfortably. Then she stood abruptly, gripping the table for support.

        Iram struggled for words. He was nervous, she could feel it, but she couldn’t figure out why. “Well, I just thought...’ but he was saved from answering when Alize was suddenly overcome with weakness, her grip slipped from the table and she toppled backwards. He caught her before she hit the floor, “Come on, let’s get you to your room.” He picked her up and she wrapped her arms around his neck, breathing in his scent. Two days ago she’d have worshiped this moment, but now it just felt strange. As they left the kitchen she slipped into darkness.

* * *

        Alize slept all day not waking once until she felt a familiar presence pass over her mind. She lay still, not opening her eyes until she knew no one else was around. But she knew he knew she was awake.

        When she finally opened her eyes she couldn’t see a thing. She let her vision adjust to the darkness. The room was deathly silent. She swung out of bed and vaguely noticed her nightdress had been changed. The light blue silk wound around her legs and she swayed slightly but noticed she was significantly less dizzy than before. The crimson curtains fluttered helplessly from across the room. In a couple long strides she crossed the room and threw them open.

        “You’re back,” She stated. Cade, who was crouched on the windowsill, grinned at her. She glared back.

        “Of course, we weren’t finished.” He looked at her, waiting for her to step aside. Alize just stared back, searching for answers behind his fake smile but his feelings were impossible to penetrate. She was slightly disappointed. She usually could see past anyone, she always knew when people were lying or hiding something. She always knew what people were feeling. But it seemed as though Cade had put up a wall and she couldn’t see past it. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously and his smile faltered.

        “How do you do that?” She asked suddenly, stepping aside.

        Cade blinked, surprised. “Do what?”

        “Stand on the edge like that?” He stared, taken aback. As an after thought she added, “And how do you get up here?”

        He seemed to think for a moment, his head cocked in a thoughtful way. “Well, it’s easy. The wall has many crevasses and the windowsill is wide enough for my feet.”

        “Aren’t you... afraid you’ll fall?” She questioned, leaning over to observe the distance.

        “Nah, I always land on my feet.”

        “But-” Alize looked up at him.

        “You would too,” He said, shrugging.

        “What?” She wasn’t sure she’d heard him right.

        “It’s instinct, both Druyd’s and Nymph’s can do it. We’ve got extra sharp senses, sight, sound, instinct. Druyd’s use their abilities, Nymphs just choose not to,” He shook his head sympathetically.

        Alize scowled, realizing she’d almost had a complete conversation with the murderer. She shot him a nasty look, “Prove it.” She demanded, nodding towards the window.

        Cade froze for a second then his smile vanished and he looked at the window solemnly, “Not tonight.” He said shortly.

        “Right,” She retorted accusingly. Though slightly disappointing, it was the answer she’d expected. Turning, she started towards her bed. As she walked she staggered and her vision clouded. She felt a strong hand grasp her shoulder and steer her to the bed. Ripping free of the hold she sat down at the edge of the bed and wiped her eye’s with the back of her wrists. When she looked up again Cade was sitting in the same chair he’d occupied the night before, wearing an extremely strange expression. She watched in horror as he reached over and touched the injury on her forehead. Alize thought she saw something like pity flash across his face but it was gone before she could be sure. She jerked back in disgust, she wasn’t going to let the murderer touch the wound he had caused.

        “I’m not a murderer,” He said resting back into the hard wooden chair gracefully, making it look almost comfortable. Alize saw Cade glance at the dagger beside her and she snatched it up and placed it in her lap. “What do you want?” He asked calmly, “You said you weren’t done with me yet.”

        Alize contemplated this. To be honest she didn’t really know why she had made him come back, but it was only a few seconds before she answered, “I have more questions. Like who are you and why are you here?”

        Cade looked down and examined his hands before replying, “My name is Cade, that’s all you need to know. And I’m here because I don’t wish you to think I am a murderer.”

        She gave a small disbelieving laugh, “Where are you from?”

        His expression hardened, “Somewhere I’ll never go back to.” Then he winced and rubbed his temples.

        “What’s wrong with you?” She questioned.

        “Nothing,” He snapped. Alize watched him intently. She noticed he looked worn. Despite his dark, creamy skin he still looked pale. His perfectly molded face was drawn and weary. Slumped in the chair he looked exhausted. His green eyes stared at her, unfazed. She stared back.

        “Why does it matter?” Alize finally said. She still didn’t understand.

        “What?”

        She swung her legs back and forth off the edge of the bed and brushed a strand of hair back behind her ear, “Why does it matter that I think you are a murderer?”

        “Because I don’t want you to think wrongly of me.”

        “But why?” She asked, exasperated, “It’s not like we’re ever going to see each other again.”

        Cade shrugged, “I don’t want enemies.”

        Alize scowled suddenly, “Well too late.” She took the dagger from her lap and tossed it to him. He caught it unnaturally swiftly. Then she stood and walked over to the window, concentrating on staying on her feet, “You’ve failed. You have no reason to stay. So get out and please don’t come back. You’ve already caused enough trouble in my life.”

        From his chair Cade snorted, “With what? You’re fiancee?” His glance flickered pointedly to the necklace perched on her chest. She glared at him until he stood. He placed the dagger in his boot and proceeded silently towards her. He grasped the windowsill with both hands, looked down over the side and then paused. After a moment he seemed to remember something and he turned and stared her in the eyes as though searching for something that he might have overlooked.

        “Get-” She started to stay but he held his finger up to her lips and stepped closer. She felt her glare waver and stared up at him wide eyed.

        He sighed, “I’m not a murderer, Alize,” He said again, slowly. She looked into his eyes and slowly her eyebrows furrowed, confused. He was inches from her face and she could feel his breath on her skin when he sighed. She wanted to say something but his finger on her mouth prevented her from doing so. She vaguely thought of hitting him but something in his eyes stopped her. Pain, anger and fear were penetrating her from his eyes. As though he was pleading for her to do something. She pulled back, and opened her mouth to say something but he shook his head, as though disappointed. He glanced down at the necklace she was wearing, then he jumped over the windowsill out of sight.

        She stared after him, unsure of what had just happened.
© Copyright 2007 ξრι (dracoeques at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278103-The-Amulet-Chapter-Five