*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278500-A-Deadly-Passion
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1278500
From a sweet love to a deadly passion.
Jennifer and Kevin met while they were still in high school. They quickly became very best friends. These two would stay up through all hours of the night on the phone just talking about anything . That’s what made Kevin fall in love with Jennifer. He felt that he could be himself around her. He knew that he could tell her everything and never be judged.

         During their sophomore year of high school, Kevin made the decision that he would like to explore the possibility of he and Jennifer taking their friendship to the next level. While at the movies one weekend, Kevin asked Jennifer the magical question.

“Look Jennifer,” he said as he leaned in closer to her.  “I’ve been thinking long and hard about this. I love you and would like to start something special with you.”

Jennifer looked at Kevin with surprise and relief because she had been thinking the same thing. She kissed him on the cheek and rubbed her hand down his arm.
“I thought you’d never ask,” she said with a smile so big it appeared as if she had developed a new set of dimples.

         That was how it all got started between them. Jennifer and Kevin made the perfect couple. They were even voted the two most beautiful people at their high school. Kevin was tall, about 6’2”, with smooth caramel-colored skin. He had what she called “good hair”. He had a small gap in his teeth, but that’s what she loved about him. He was a distinguished gentleman to her. He was also bow-legged which gave him a sexy walk. Jennifer could stare into his dark-brown eyes all day long if he’d let her. She just loved everything about him.
         Jennifer was only 5’7”, but Kevin fell in love with every inch of her. He loved how she would always wear her hair in a pony-tail with a little piece hanging on either side of her face. Jennifer had a dark-brown skin complexion with dark-brown eyes to match. She was an aspiring fashion designer so she was always well-dressed.
         These two were always together. During their senior year, Kevin received a scholarship for law school at Harvard University. It was his lifetime dream to become a high powered attorney some day. Jennifer wanted to follow, but her dream of becoming a fashion designer would take her all the way across the country. She had applied to about a dozen fashion schools and was finally accepted to a school in California. Their senior year would probably be the last time they would be together as a couple.
         “Kevin, I really think you should just go ahead to law school. Just forget about me and go for your dream. Baby, I just want you to focus on your studies and be successful.” Jennifer explained to Kevin.
         Kevin looked Jennifer in her eyes saying, “Look baby, I’m not going anywhere without you so just get that out of your head. Maybe you could just go to school in Maryland to be closer. We could see each other every weekend,’ Kevin explained.
         Jennifer had already received a scholarship to go to California so she couldn’t live in Maryland. Although she loved Kevin, she desperately wanted to do her fashion thing. That’s been her dream since she was a little girl.
         Looking over at Kevin with regret in her eyes, Jennifer said, “I’m sorry baby, but I have to follow my dream. That’s what you’re doing and I want to do the same thing.”
         “Why don't we just get married, get our own place and you could just get a part-time job while I’m going to school,” Kevin suggested to Jennifer as he grabbed her left hand .
         Jennifer’s heart dropped with excitement. She wanted nothing more than to marry Kevin, but not like this. Giving up her lifetime dream wasn’t something that she was willing to compromise for Kevin or anyone else.
         Jennifer took her hand away from Kevin and sat down.
         “Look baby, I do want to marry you, but not like this. I want for both of us to have successful careers before we take a step like that. Don’t you think that would be the best thing for the both of us?”
         Kevin became upset and walked away from Jennifer. She waited for him to return, but he was too upset.
         Unfortunately, Jennifer and Kevin decided to go their separate ways. They made an attempt to maintain a long distance relationship for almost a year, but they gradually grew apart.

         Several years had gone by, but not one day passed that they didn’t think of each other. Kevin went on to become a successful attorney for a huge law firm in downtown Baltimore. After meeting a woman during his sophomore year of law school, they quickly fell in love and married after graduation. They were married for twenty years and had two kids.
         Jennifer eventually finished fashion design school and took an internship with a top designer in France. She dedicated her life to her work which left no time for a family. Jennifer enjoyed her free lifestyle, but she often dated. Soon she found herself thinking back to her ex-boyfriend Kevin. She often wondered what he was up to. It had been almost 25 years since she last heard anything from him. After returning back to the United States, she opened up her own small boutique in Richmond, Virginia. That’s when she took an interest in finding Kevin. For about a week she performed internet searches for him. She called every number in every state that showed up for the name Kevin Downey. Eventually, she came across a number in Baltimore, Maryland. Once she dialed the number a deep voice answered.
         “Hello, this is Kevin speaking.”
Jennifer’s heart dropped as she cleared her throat.
         “Hi, Kevin…..it’s Jennifer….Jennifer Mills.”
         “Who?” Kevin asked in a confused tone.
She paused before saying anything else to him. She wondered had he forgotten about what they used to have together. Was he just playing or did he really not know who she was?
         “Hello…” Kevin answered again.
         “Oh, yes. Do you really not remember me? We used to date?” Jennifer explained.
         “Yes I do. I’m sorry Jennifer,” Kevin said. “ So how are you?”
Jennifer took a sigh of relief. “I’m doing just fine. So what have you been up to,” she asked hoping for a positive response.
         “Well, I’m a single brother in Baltimore,” Kevin explained with a smile on his face. “Not much more to me than that. What about yourself?”
         Jennifer smiled so big that her dimples became deeper.
         “Well, I’m still single and free to mingle!” she explained in a flirtatious manner.
Jennifer felt that things were going exactly the way she had hoped they would.
         
         After catching up with what had happened in each other’s life they decided to meet up again. Just in case looks had changed they both explained what they would be wearing. Jennifer was excited to see Kevin. She wondered if he still looked the same. Tall, brown-skinned and bow-legged. She couldn’t wait to see him again after almost 25 years. They agreed to meet in downtown Baltimore at the Harbor.
         Jennifer, excited like a teenager, put on her sexy black dress complimented by her favorite silver spaghetti strap two inch heels and her ankle bracelet. She quickly got into her burgundy Cadillac Escalade anxious to make the eight o’clock meeting. Upon arriving downtown, she sat by the lake awaiting Kevin’s arrival.
         There he was. She spotted him about a mile away. To her surprise, he looked slightly different from when she last saw him, but to her, he was still fine. He walked slowly over to her and held his hand out for her. Jennifer grabbed his hand and pulled him in for a nice hug. He smelled so good she didn’t want to let him go.
         “Hey Kevin, you’re still looking good! What’s your secret?” asked Jennifer with the intentions of flirting with Kevin.
         Kevin smiled and said, “Well, you know. Just working out and eating right everyday. So, you want to go back to my place for drinks? That way we can really get caught up on old times.”
Kevin placed his hand around Jennifer’s waist.
         Chills went down her spine as she answered, “Yes, sure!”

         As she followed him to his place she began to feel happy again. After being alone for over twenty years, Jennifer hoped that it was time for them to rekindle their romance.

         About twenty minutes later they arrived at Kevin’s place. Her heart began to beat faster as he walked over to her car to open the door for her.
         “You ready Jennifer?” he asked as he helped her out of the car by the hand.
         “Sure, just lead the way,” she answered as she grabbed her purse.
As they walked into the front door, Kevin turned around to lock the door. He led Jennifer to the living room and offered her a drink. She gladly accepted it from him. His house spelled “bachelor pad”, but she imagined how she would add her touch to it.,
         Kevin walked over to Jennifer, sat down beside her and gave her the drink.
“So, when did you move into this place?” Jennifer asked with curiosity.
The house was almost like a mansion from the outside appearance.
         “Well, I bought it for my wife, I mean ex-wife some years back.” Kevin explained.
         Jennifer became surprised of him being divorced.
         “Oh, how long were you married?” she asked.
         Kevin took a sip of his drink and said, “Well, for about twenty years. We had two beautiful children also.”
         “So what happened…if you don’t mind me asking? Did she cheat on you or something?” Jennifer inquired while sipping her drink.
         “An accident took them away from me.” he explained in a low voice. He stood up and continued talking.
         “They never found the suspect, but I know for sure he’s still out there somewhere. Someone broke into the house and murdered them in their sleep. I was out of town on a business trip with the firm when it happened.”
Kevin wiped a tear from his face.
         “You know Jennifer, I used to always talk about you to her.” He chuckled as he peered over at Jennifer.
         “I used to just imagine that she were you and you were the mother of our kids.”
         Jennifer had no idea what to say. She wondered if she should feel flattered or if it was just something he was saying.
         Jennifer stood up, fixed her dress and walked slowly over to Kevin. She hugged him lightly trying not to come on too strong and said, “I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s going to be okay Kevin. I‘m sure she was a good woman and that‘s why you married her and not me.”
         Kevin gently pulled away from Jennifer.
         “But you were who I wanted to marry and you know that.” Kevin responded in an almost angry tone.
         Suddenly, Jennifer felt light-headed so Kevin took her over to the sofa to lie down. Jennifer passed out on the sofa.

         Two hours later she awoke to discover that her arms and legs were tied up. She tried to scream, but there was tape over her mouth. A million thoughts were rushing through her head right now. What was happening to her? Kevin must have put something in her drink. Was he thinking about raping her? She wondered what had gotten into him.
         Jennifer moaned with fear as she attempted to untie her hands. She felt for her purse behind her and made an attempt to open it. Jennifer was taught by her boss in France to always carry mace with her. After several desperate attempts she finally managed to open it. She fondled with her fingers through the purse and felt her fingernail file. She knew her only chance was to cut the tape so with that thought she went to poking and cutting. Jennifer almost grunted out loud when she finally released her hands Nervous, she bent over and cut the tape from her feet. Jennifer’s tears almost blinded her from seeing Kevin coming down the stairs back into the room. She quickly grabbed her mace and the nail file. Jennifer laid back down on the sofa with her hands behind her back and tape still over her mouth.
         That’s when Kevin came around the corner and stood over what appeared to be her helpless body. His eyes appeared to be empty with no feeling. He just stood over her watching as she cried silently while looking up at him.
         “You know why they never found the person that killed my family,” he said to Jennifer. “Because I killed my family. They never made me happy like I knew you could do Jennifer,” Kevin explained in a low voice.
         “I wanted you, but you decided to leave me and go to California. My ex-wife never even measured up to you. I hated you for leaving me like that Jennifer,” he said in a raging voice.
         Jennifer leaped up and sprayed the mace directly into Kevin’s eyes. He quickly grabbed his eyes and screamed with pain.
         “What did you just do….” he grunted.
         As he charged towards her she raised the nail file and pierced him in his neck. Kevin moaned with pain and ran into the den. He reached in the drawer and pulled out a gun. Holding his bleeding neck with his left hand he tried to load the gun with his right hand.
         “I’ll kill you for this Jennifer. I hate you.”
         Jennifer’s heart started racing even faster as she ran in the den towards Kevin. Just as she was about to inflict more pain on him with the nail file, she noticed Kevin slowly going down to his knees The blood started gushing out faster and faster. Jennifer had hit his jugular vein.
         Kevin fell dead right at Jennifer’s feet with his eyes open and staring up at her. Jennifer just stood there in silence as the tears fell down her face and dropped onto Kevin’s face. She was crying for him. She was happy that she wasn't the one who chose to marry Kevin. She cried tears of joy because she escaped the dangerous life with Kevin.









© Copyright 2007 silent thinker (msbiggs24 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278500-A-Deadly-Passion