*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278739-Vignettes
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1278739
An assignment in my Honors English class. I got an 88, what do you think?
1. Twin
Her eyes are brown with a unique pattern of golden twists like a freshly cut tree stump. My eyes are not like that, but that is not possible… we are twins. My eyes are plain brown with speckles of gold splashed in carelessly. Twins have tangled spirits and all your life you try to untie from your sister and have your own identity. Once you are free you want to go back to how it was when you were in a knot.
We were separated too early, Kindergarten. But it was not until fifth grade that I really felt lost and alone. My fifth grade math teacher was the one to pour the bucket of cold water on me to wake me up from my childish doze when she accused us of cheating. Cheating! In my imaginary world there was not such a thing as cheating, cliques or even grades, only books and people and the crisp fresh air. Before we never fought, except when she would not leave my bed because of her fear of the boogie-man. Now it has changed, with age and knowledge we have grown apart. We are far too untangled from each other’s souls. Can we even say that we are twins? Yes, at the end of the day or in the middle of the night, when friends, school, and stress do not get in our way, we read each other’s minds. She understands me; she can read what I write when sometimes even I can not, she is the only person that I can truly trust in the world.

2. Growth

The trees twisted and crippled with age, arms raised in agony, cursing the breeze and the bitter cold. It was during that terrible period of the year when we came across a small dirt path, taken prisoner by the wild wood’s shrubbery and the grasping branches. We all wondered where it went. Taryn said it leads to a magical world opposite this wood. There it will be warm and it will have flowers that bloom with every footstep. All day we followed the path, over trees that fell, too weak to fight off armies of insects, under an arch of prickers, and then we saw it. Kelly was the first to crawl her way into the prickers cave while we all wished, holding our breaths. We always yearned for the adventures we read so much about, and perhaps we finally found it. The cave was getting smaller, they did not want us to discover their secret, their spears clung onto our clothes.Let us in, let us go! We turned and ran. We were getting too old for adventures; we were too old to know the secrets.
© Copyright 2007 Shailyn (marchwind02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278739-Vignettes