*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278917-Felicity-Black-chapter-4
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Detective · #1278917
Next chapter
I did a couple quick stretches. It usually helps with the uncomfortable business of shifting, stretching the bones and muscles that will momentarily be crushed, stretched, twisted and strengthened.
I went over my plan in my head. I was to shift in to one of the muscled toy soldiers and walk right into the museum. I was able to get an official looking security badge from one of my sources. Though it took some bribing, some beating, and some very disturbing threats from my part, but it would work.
After showing my badge I would have to pass the only security measure the main building had, a Wolking. A Wolking is half dog, half cat, and a lot of trouble. They could smell even the slightest hint of magic. One whiff of magic and they go insane. Once, while retrieving a goblin that had skipped out on some bet money, I was caught off guard and ran straight into a Wolking that immediately started screaming. (Unlike popular belief and all logic, the Wolking doesn’t bark it screams; a high pitch, terribly annoying sound like the cry of a child). Anyway, back to my story let’s just say that the little puppy/kitten will no longer scream.
Next I just had to disarm some ancient magic, most likely have to fight, and hopefully kill some unpleasant creatures. And if my night goes really bad I’ll have a little duel with Vincent Poe’s little assassin. It was going to be an interesting night.
I stared up at the cold, dark building that was the museum.
“All right Felicity , let’s get going we can do this. Get it over with.” I kept telling myself over and over again.
I stood in the alley across the street. Rats and other “things” scuttled about my feet. I tried not to think of what I was stepping in at this moment.
“All right lets shift!” I said sarcastically as I snapped my neck.
I started envisioning the big oaf I was going to look like. I remembered his hair, brown and cut into a buzz. His build, bulky and solid muscle. Eye color, and voice, ears, nose, mouth, chin and then I felt my “magic” kicking in.
It started in my feet I could feel a tingle as the small magic release itself into my bold stream. I could feel my pulse quickening. It was pounding in my temple, then the awful pain.
Quick as a knife my bones collide, break, and change. In a matter of seconds I am taller, stronger, but I also feel slightly stupider. I’ve asked friends (well I would if I had any) what happens when I change. All of them say the same thing; that there’s no defining moment that they see me change. It’s jus they’re looking at me then they’re suddenly looking at someone else. Then they ask me to let them go.
I hate shifting. Not only is it the most terrible pain I have ever felt, but I also have to be naked. Yes, I know your probably laughing right now but it does get quite annoying when you have to strip down while dodging bullets. Though I guess it’s helpful in a way, because I’m proud to say it usually distracts them.
I shivered in the cold and slipped into the uniform I had also gotten from my source. It was a tight fit, but I guess that would make it look more realistic.
I walked into the dark, empty museum and looked around myself. Then Darcy started to walk towards me. She didn’t look happy and sharp sound of her angry heels was not comforting.
“Where have you’all been!?” she snapped at me with her southern drawl.
“Sorry, I’m really freaked out, there was this weirdo following me, one of those shifters, he looked just like me. Bloody freaks! I would be careful tonight he might be more than annoying. He might be dangerous. Be careful.” I replied hopefully sounding scared, and worried. I prayed that this would work, if the real guard showed up.
© Copyright 2007 Felicity Black (voguegal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278917-Felicity-Black-chapter-4