*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278919-Ch-2-of-Moments-by-Ebony-Dawn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Women's · #1278919
Mona thought as the balmy night engulfed her with its sights and sounds,
Beyond The Dream
Chapter 2

Spring was in the air.  Warm breezes stirred provocatively as the last traces of winter surrendered itself to the subtle charms of the new season's bold declaration.  It's presence ever mounting.  The change that began as quietly as the melting snow, as gentle as the falling rain, as awesome as a budding flower.  Discretely nudging its way onward, until reaching its full potential, its full power, and its full bloom.

"Yes, spring was definitely in the air", Mona thought as the balmy night engulfed her with its sights and sounds.  Her heartbeat quickened as she braced herself in the seat of the taxicab that carried her toward her destination.

Through the clear glass windows, she watched, as the nights darkness transformed the city streets into a make believe paradise, masqueraded by the bright lights and flashing neon signs.  She marveled at the complexities of this flawless transformation.

With sheer determination, Mona fought to block out the apprehensions that plagued her.  There was no turning back now.  No stopping.  For Mona knew that before this night reached tomorrow's dawn, she would have taken for herself a lover.  This thought caused a cold chill to engulf her body.

"How did I talk myself into such a hair-brained idea", she mused, as she focused her attention on her immediate surroundings.  Cloaking herself within the walls of the moving vehicle, and allowing the engines monotonous hum to lull her quietly back to her resolve.
Leaning against the softly cushioned leather seat, Mona retraced the events that led her to this insane course of action.  Insane?  The word hung suspended in her mind.  Mona knew with all her heart that this journey, this insane gesture, offered the only hope of holding on to the remaining shreds of sanity that she felt seeping rapidly from her grasp these months since her divorce from Howard.

Mona's mind drifted to thoughts of Howard.  Howard, her loving husband of fifteen years.  Her friend, her love, her life.  Howard the miracle worker who patiently turned a shy, puritanical nineteen-year-old girl into a woman.  A woman capable of enjoying unashamedly the thrill of pleasing a man to unbounded heights of ecstasy.  Her Howard had awakened within her the searing fires that before lay dormant.  Howard, the planter of seed, that when harvested, brought her into the full bloom of motherhood.  Howard, only Howard.

"Well, it's all over kiddo, so you'd better make the best of the life you have left."  Mona felt the back of her eyes clouding up, and pushed back the slight trickle with the heel of her hand.  A grim smile touched her lips as she remembered how only he had this effect on her.  Never once during the entire fifteen years of marriage, did her eyes or thoughts stray.

Mona sensed that things weren't right between them for some time, but she hoped with all her heart that somehow she could salvage their strained relationship.  Given time, she thought, things would work themselves out.

"What had happened?  Where had she gone wrong?"  Mona was still searching for answers.  She questioned herself constantly.  Just when was her love for him replaced by complacency?  For it was this last realization that shocked Mona into grievous discernment.  Only, it was too late.  Too late to salvage their marriage.  Even a cordial working arrangement was out of the question.

Although, Howard and Mona were not compatible as mates, their attraction for each other physically still blazed with the passion of youth.  They both were very much aware of the fact that this physical bond was not enough to see them through longer years as marriage partners.  Mona's problem was that she believed that she could never reach the sensual heights that she reached with Howard.

Mona closed her eyes as she recalled an incident during a time long ago when she and Howard were still very much in love.  It was early morning.  Dark shadows of the night before fought to maintain their dominance.  A dusky hue streaked with hints of sunlight enhanced the prevailing mood. 

Mona and Howard lay together peacefully after a night of blissful lovemaking.  His passions spent, Howard peered lazily into Mona's eyes and declared arrogantly,

"Woman, I do believe that I've created a monster."

He chuckled softly.  Mona felt the slight rumble that shook his body as she reveled in the warmth of his arms that encircled her.  He continued, his voice slightly above a whisper,

"Many more nights like last, and I'll be a goner for sure."
He tightened his arm around her waist, pressing her closer to him as his other hand toyed with the tips of her small plump breasts.

"You're a lusty little piece, you know that?"

Then almost as if to himself he sighed,

"But, what a way to go."

Mona turned slowly to meet his gaze.  This almost provocative movement was heightened by their nakedness.  Mona felt Howard's hand drift from the small of her back to a lower position, making tiny circles that tingled her already inflamed skin.  When his hand reached its destination, Howard pulled her closer still and pressed her between his hard muscular thighs.  Awakened by the newly aroused fires that burned in his loins, he caressed her with a growing urgency.  Mounting passions now directed his movements, until finally with a low groan, he rolled over so that he was positioned just above her, only to find her hands pressed firmly against his pounding chest.

Mona stared up at Howard in mock concern. 

"Maybe, you're right", she teased.

"You'd better rest a while.  After all, I wouldn't want to become a widow before my time."

Pretending to give the matter much thought, she said,

"I know.  I'll just find myself a part time lover to help you out.  O.K?"

Howard's reply struck Mona with the truth of its words.  His passion intensified its meaning.  As he held her pinned beneath him, his face so close to hers, that she felt his hot breathe. 

He spoke in a confident tone.

"I know you well enough my love, to dismiss that fear.  You're mine.  I awakened your desires and I'm the only one who can satisfy you completely."

Mona was for an instant irritated by his smug attitude.  She searched her mind for a flip reply to his statement, but all was forgotten when she felt the hardness of him stir as he plunged deep within her.  Her senses were staggered, blocking out all else.  There was nothing else, just this moment shared.

Only now as Mona neared her journeys end in the taxicab that had comfortingly become her haven for revelry into private memories, did Howard's words drift back to taunt her with their naked truth.

She truly believed his words and did not think herself capable of loving another man as completely as she did Howard.  Mona hated herself for being this way, but these past months of loneliness made it quite clear to her, that she had to make the best of the situation.  Months of celibacy have a way of bringing one into a compromising position.  Mona was at this point.  The point of no return, so to speak.

Here she was, divorced.  The product of a failed marriage.  Even her son, Keith, was no consolation to her.  For at fourteen, he was busy with his own life.  Very busy indeed.  Sports, the guys, girls and partying.  All the things that young people his age are so heavily into.  Mona was grateful that his grades were up to par.  He was a good son.  Mona was very proud of the way he handled himself concerning his parent’s divorce.  In fact Mona was the only one who was thrown completely for a loop.

Exactly one week ago, Mona came to her decision.  She intended to rejoin the world of the living.  No more sitting at home alone reading or watching television.  Not that she didn't enjoy reading or television; it was just the alone part that she couldn't stand any longer.  She craved adult conversation, male companionship and of late the need for the more intimate advantages of such a relationship.

"Here we are lady!"

The gruff voice of the cab driver broke into her thoughts.  Mona looked around with an uncertain smile.

"Ho-How much?"

The driver tossed an impatient nod towards the meter. 

"Four dollars even, Ma'am".

Mona fished around in her purse, found her wallet, extracted a five-dollar bill and handed it to the driver, indicating for him to keep the change.

Once on the sidewalk, Mona heard the taxicab door close behind her.  It sped away; she watched it fade into the night.  The taillights mingled with the distant lights of the city, until everything gradually became just a blur to her eyes.

Mona felt a pang of panic that she quickly dismissed in order to familiarize herself with her new surroundings.  The neon lights that beckoned from every entranceway took on an enticing glow.  Mona made her way towards the door with the brightly lit marquee that read,

"The Passion Flower Discotheque."

Sights, sounds and smells of this new scene filled her.  Loud pulsating music filtered through the doorway.

Mona was like a hungry sponge, soaking up the atmosphere.  With each step, Mona gained a little more confidence.

"It's been a long time old girl."

Mona reached the door of the Passion Flower.  She took a second to contemplate her situation.  Realizing the harsh fact that, here she was, a mature single woman, struggling for survival in a young, coupled off world.  Matching her passé standards of morality to those of this Uni-Sex, Do your own thing, Self Preservationist existence of this now generation.  Although, Mona did not go along with all or even understand this new scene, she knew that she couldn't let this stop her from living her life to it's fullest potential.  She gleaned strength from a saying that came to her from her past.

"I may not play in Count Bassie's Band, but I can still dance to his music."

The decision was made.  Mona was prepared to dance to the music.  What she didn't know was that this decision was just the beginning.  The beginning of a chain of events to be etched in her memory, to burn there vividly forever.

Mona entered the Passion Flower Discotheque.


The End
Ch. 2 of 'Moments' by Ebony Dawn
© Copyright 2007 Ebony Dawn (got1totellu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1278919-Ch-2-of-Moments-by-Ebony-Dawn