*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282103-Love-and-War
Rated: E · Short Story · War · #1282103
I cant believe he left me for the war. I depend on him. Come home soon please.
On the outside we looked so different from each other. Him being dark skinned and darked haired and I being blonde with very fair skin. At first glance no one would've realized it but we were in fact brother and sister and we depended on each other. Maybe perhaps more than a brother and sister should depend on each other.
Over the summer we were home alone together every day. He would paln things for us to do. Day camping trips, fishing, swimming, hiking.
Our family owns rows upon rows and acres upon acres of peach trees, so one day we decided to go exploring, it was our mission to find out if there was an end to our rows and rows of trees.
So we set off. We walked and walked and walked through the rows and rows of trees, stopping every few minutes to pick a juicy peach and eat it. We soon got tired of eating peaches and stopped to help the workers pick. We picked them, boxed them then put them on the truck. It was hard work and we soon got bored and ran throw the rows agian.
Soon it was beginning to get dark, with no end of the rows of trees in sight, we stopped running. As we stopped to relax he made me dance with him while he sang. He was amazing. He always seemed to know every song, and just the right time to sing it. He was singing to me "I'm never ging to let you go, I'll hold you in my arms forever. I'm so going to try to make up the times I hurt you so. Wait and see it'll be even sweeter than before." I remember falling asleep in his arms while dancing. He carried me all the way home, when he tucked me tenderly into bed he whispered "guess what? there is no end to our peach trees, they go on and on forever. This way every hungery person in the world will always have a peach."
That was many years ago, but after I got the phone call that told me my brother died in war, I ran fast and hard through our trees remembering. Only stopping suddenly when I realized that I saw the end of our rows and rows of trees. It shouldn't of surprised, of course I knew that they had to end. Everything good eventually has to end.
© Copyright 2007 M.J. Findlay (monica_findlay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282103-Love-and-War