*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283135-Educational-Technology
by apatai
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1283135
This essay discusses educational technology and some of its effects.
Adam Patai
ETC 567
June 25, 2007
Scholarly Paper – Technology Integration




      One of the main goals of education is to prepare children for the world they live in presently and to prepare them for the world they will live in.  To help accomplish this goal, many educators and researchers have looked to technology as a means of preparing students for the future.  Technological advancement has appeared in all aspects of society – business, communications, etc.  As a result, educational technology has become a hot button topic not just in educational circles, but in all aspects of modern society.  This greater emphasis on technology is due to a number of factors that have developed over the last few years.
         The emphasis on educational technology has been spurred by changes in the world.  The modern world has become much smaller because of technology.  Modern technology has “facilitated the rapid movement of financial resources, goods, and services, and have created an interdependence among the world’s economies” (Molnar, 1997).  This interdependence and connection among world markets has created a global economy.  To be competitive in this economic/financial landscape, nations need a workforce that is prepared and educated for this environment.
         Besides the changing economic landscape, technology has spurred a “scientific-information explosion” (Molnar, 1997) never before seen.  Resources, data, and research are accumulating rapidly and access to this information is also greater.  The information has been connected through the use of technology (computers, internet, online journals, etc.)  This access and accumulation allows for greater collaboration, greater exchange of ideas, and advancements in many different fields.  Because of this, there is a demand for technicians that can access, manipulate, and respond to this information and collaborate with others through the use of technology (Molnar, 1997).
         Because of the interconnectedness of the economic and scientific worlds and the greater demand for a more educated workforce, society has called for more preparation and skills among the workforce.  The path to developing greater preparation and skills is to integrate technology into education.  Many have looked to technology as a way to help improve the academic achievement among students to help prepare them for the society they will enter into.   
The integration of technology into education is seen as a vital part of increasing academic achievement.  This, to some, is not clear thinking.  According to John Bailey, the Director of Educational Technology for the U.S. Department of Education, “(T)here still is very little scientifically based research to gauge the effectiveness of technology” (Foltos, 2002).  While it has been stated that there have been no studies that show that technology definitively increases academic achievement, this is flawed thinking.  These studies referenced by experts and Mr. Bailey generally refer to the use of educational software and its effect on student test scores.  Studies have shown that there is minimal effect by technology in these situations.  Besides software and related programs, though, there are other examples of technology that can help student achievement and have proven to do so.
    Computers are one type of educational technology that can have a positive effect on academic achievement.  Computers normally are used for research purposes, but there is enormous potential for computers used as an educational tool.  First, computers can be used for more individualized instruction.  Through the use of computer tutorials and simulation programs, students can experiment, discover, and manipulate data at their own pace.  These types of programs can help students develop curiosity, learning through discovery, and decision-making skills (Alden).  Besides computers being used as research and educational tools, computers can be used as a communication tool.  Through the use of e-mail, forums, discussion boards, etc. students can discuss, respond, and share ideas with other students, teachers, and other learners (Rodney, 2006).  Using the computer in this fashion allows students to develop their communication skills.  “Children can strengthen their ability to express themselves in writing and prepare themselves in writing and prepare for the increased use of electronic communications in the workplace” (Rodney, 2006).
    While there have been no conclusive studies on the effect of educational software and academic achievement, recent studies have shown that the use of the computer in conjunction with project-based instruction help to promote active learning.  Through this type of instruction, students are challenged to use higher-order thinking and problem solving skills that help them to “master principles and concepts” (Foltos, 2002)  In Utah, Missouri, and Maine, school districts provided schools and teachers with educational-technology tools, curriculum, and more than 200 hours of professional development to change how teachers teach and learners learn.  The results were that student achievement was up more than 10% when compared to classrooms without this program.  Also, in Wisconsin, students created digital media projects, which focused on information sharing and analysis.  This project resulted in 89% of the target students demonstrated proficiency in language arts, research and inquiry, and information technology literacy standards (Foltos, 2002 and Kind, 2007).  These studies show that technology can be beneficial to academic achievement. 
    Technology can be a very beneficial part of student achievement when used properly.  Though early studies showed minimal to no effect, recent studies show the opposite.  The difference between the early studies and the most recent studies was the computers were paired with teacher training and project-based instruction.  Technology in isolation, as most educational strategies, is not as effective without being paired with the proper training and instructional methods.
    This focus on proper training and instructional methods illustrates one of the bigger criticisms of technology integration in education.  Generally, cost (of equipment, updates, etc.) and professional development are seen as the major negatives.  With spending on classroom technology at more than $5 billion annually, cost, while still a problem, is being somewhat addressed (Foltos, 2002).  Professional development is an under funded and underemphasized aspect of technology integration.  “There has been a widely held belief by governmental, business, and educational leaders that wiring schools, buying hardware and software, and distributing the equipment throughout will lead to abundant classroom use by teachers and students and improve teaching and learning (Foltos, 2002)”  This assertion, as studies have shown, is not true.  According to Mr. Ron Kind (2007) in Business Week Online, the U.S. Department of Education and its studies on academic achievement are narrowly focused and need a “wider scope” to see the advantages of technology integration.  He goes on to say that technology in itself will not promote student achievement.  Technology in conjunction with the proper instructional methods and teacher training will promote student achievement.

Technology and Society
    As mentioned earlier, the modern world has been changed into a global community partially because of the connectedness created by technological advancements in communication.  Communication and social networking, specifically online communication, has become an increasingly powerful tool in modern society.
    Online communication and social networking comes in many forms.  The most popular forms are blogs, social-networking sites (such as MySpace and Facebook), and e-mail, the most popular form of online communication.  Besides e-mail, social net-working sites are also growing in popularity.  The 2 most popular sites are MySpace, which boasts 20 million users and Facebook, which claims 90% active participation among undergraduates.  Finally, blogs, or online journals are growing in popularity.  It has been estimated that 7% of adult U.S. internet users (about 8 million users) have created a blog or online journal, and 27% or 32 million people read blogs regularly (Golder, 2006).  As the internet and technology continues to advance, these forms of online communication will only increase in importance and power.  These forms of communication, like other aspects of technology, have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Online communication and networking provides many advantages for online users.  Online social networking sites, blogs, etc. can provide the ultimate egalitarian situation.  This is so because when people interact online, users really have no way of knowing the physical characteristics, race, sex, age, etc. of the people they are communicating with.  Many believe that this “faceless” quality of online communication will lead to “greater fairness” and enable us to “overcome differences” (Adamic, 2006).    Another advantage of online communication is the connectedness between people.  Students, business people, college students, etc. can connect with their peers, associates, etc. and create channels of communication to share data, research, and information.  This sharing of information gives the users different perspectives on subjects and to learn from one another.  Finally, people of similar interests are able to connect even though they are separated by geography.  As these people come together, connections are made and relationships are developed.  This allows a transfer of information, opinions, and most importantly ideas.  With the exchange of ideas, collaborations are built and greater concepts are developed (Adamic, 2006). 
    Within a business or organization, the advantages are clearer.  A well-planned online social network for a business can provide the following benefits:
1.          create an early warning system
2.          knowledgeable people receive the information in time to act upon it
3.          connect people and build relationships across boundaries
4.          provide an ongoing context for knowledge exchange that can be far            more      effective than memoranda
5.          attune everyone in the organization to each other’s needs
6.          encourage social cohesion
7.          create a shared social space for the geographically dispersed
8.          amplify innovation – share ideas, brainstorm, and get people to start inventing together
9.          improve ways to think collectively
(Rheingold, 2007)
    The business model shows that collaboration can be emphasized, encouraged, and cultivated by a business.  This collaboration can cause greater creativity (thinking outside the box), more cohesion among the staff, and connect people across great distances.
         While there are some great advantages among the online communication forms, there are some disadvantages.  First, online social networking allows unwanted attention and feedback to the members of the community.  In communities like MySpace and Facebook and in online journals, readers are able to respond to the profiles online.  This can cause unwanted inquiries.  There is a great danger for online users, specifically adolescents, from online predators.  Besides attention from unwanted inquirers, people can leave inappropriate responses and negative feedback.  This “cyber bullying” is a problem almost at the magnitude of online predators.  This is a problem because online people can cover their identities and do not have to face responsibility for things they have written or replied (Cummings, 2002).
         Besides unwanted attention online, another disadvantage of online social communities is that lack of depth among the relationships and connections made online.  According to research, relationships built over the internet are found ”wanting” when compared to face-to-face and telephone relationships and communication.  This does not mean that internet relationships lack value, it is just that when judged in comparison to “live” interactions, they lack the depth, quality, and are less effective and sustainable (Cummings, 2002).
         With the ever changing world landscape, there is a definite need for a change in the educational process to prepare our students for the 21st century.  The integration of technology is a great start to prepare students.  Educational technology is not the end, though.  It needs to be complimented with compatible instructional methods and professional development for teachers.  Besides the integration of educational technology, we must also prepare for greater forms of communication, as online social networks, blogs, etc. are becoming increasingly popular.  While there are disadvantages, these forms are constantly being adapted and revised to become safer and more user-friendly.  The world is becoming wired and it is time we all connected to it




References

Adamic, Lada,& Ali-Hasan, Noor.  (2006).Expressing Social Relationships on the Blog through Links and Comments.

Alden, Sally The Role Technology Can Play in Preparing Our Children for the 21st Century. Computer Learning Foundation, Retrieved June 6, 2007, from www.computerlearning.org/articles/Prepare.html

Cummings, Jonathan M (July 2002).The Quality of Online Relationships. Communications of the ACM. 45, 103-108.

Foltos, Les (2002, December). Technology and Academic Achievement. New Horizons For Learning, Retrieved 06, 24, 2007, from www.newhorizons,org/strategies/technology/folots.htm

Golder, Scott, Wilkinson, Dennis, & Huberman, Bernardo (2006). Rhythms of Social Interaction:mesagin within a massive online network.

Hempel, Jessi, & Lehman, Paula (2006). The MySpace Generation. Business Week Online, Retrieved June 20, 2007, from www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/05_50/b3963001.htm.

(2006). How Online Social Networks Benefit Organizations. Retrieved June 20, 2007, from Rheingold Associates Web site: www.rheingold.com/Associates/onlinenetworks.html

Kind, Ron (4/10/2007). A Flawed Measure of Educational Technology. Business Week Online, Retrieved 06/25/2007,  from www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/

Molnar, Andrew (June 1997). Computers in Education. The Journal, Retrieved 06/20/2007, from www.thejournal.com/the/printarticle/?id=13739

Rodney, David (2006). [Podcast] A History of Educational Technology. History of Edtech Lecture. Retrieved 06, 20, 2007, from www.coe.fau.edu/drodney/history_of_edtech.
© Copyright 2007 apatai (apatai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283135-Educational-Technology