*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283879-Home-of-the-Gray-Dog---Segment-19
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Family · #1283879
Chapters 91 through 95.
Chapter 91

The next morning, just after sunrise, Jack finished a quick breakfast and headed to the back of the mansion. It didn’t surprise him to find Anthony already there waiting for him, two cameras slung again around his neck.

         “No Randall today?” he asked, handing Anthony a covered container of hot coffee. While Anthony sipped the steaming black coffee, Jack squinted up at the sky that was overcast even at this early hour. “Big storm coming today!” was his observation. Late August and early September usually brought thunderstorms, strong enough to rattle the mansion’s windows with their fury.

         Closing his eyes in bliss at the taste of the delicious Hawaiian Kona coffee, Anthony managed to get out, “No, Randall decided to spend the day with the kids over at the orphanage.” He finished the last drop and carefully placed the container on the downed tree limb. “I think Walker said he was going to join him after spending some more time with Samantha.”

         When the two men descended through the hole down into the catacombs, their thoughts were of Samantha and what Colin might have done to her before he died. They also dreaded what they might discover in the chamber where the last of Jason Edgeworth’s victim ended her life.

         “What the hell went on here?” This puzzled question came from Anthony when he saw what covered the floor of this chamber. Surrounding the scattered bones on the ground was a thick layer of coarse salt. Like with the body in the previous chamber, this woman had her clothing apparently stripped off her some time before death. Hanging from slender outcroppings of limestone at one side hung whips and paddles of varying size, all with traces of ancient blood on them.

         Jack backed out of the room, horror creeping across his face. “I know which woman this was.” Anthony walked out behind him, curious but still unclear about what he’d just seen. Jack closed his eyes but managed to get the words out. “This was the last woman Jason kidnapped and brought down here. She was a 17-year-old woman from a wealthy local family, according to the journal I read, and he had become engaged to her.”

         “Seventeen?” Anthony did some mental calculation before adding, “Wouldn’t Edgeworth be in at least his 50s or 60s by then?”

          Jack nodded. “I read in his journal he had just had his 65th birthday, which was pretty old for back then. The engagement was with her father’s blessing, although the woman strongly resisted the engagement. She was in love with a younger man from a neighboring estate, but in those days, a father had the final say over the men his daughters would marry.”

         “So, what happened? Had you read that far?” Anthony followed Jack back into the chamber when asking this. His curiosity about what happened there overcame his repulsion at what he finally figured out might have happened there decades earlier. Even his vivid imagination, though, came nowhere close to the actual events.

         Jack leaned down to start taking photographs of the salt and bones. He already had taken shots of the whips and paddles hanging from the walls. By keeping busy with this activity, he managed to finish telling Anthony what he knew of this last victim. “Her name was Rebecca Atherton, the youngest daughter of an autocratic man who wielded his absolute power over family as harshly as he did with employees.” Finished with photographs, Jack gave his full attention to Anthony.

         “Jason proudly cut out the clippings from the local newspaper about the disappearance of the Atherton girl. She had gone to have a private dinner given at his mansion by Jason Edgeworth and never returned home afterwards. Her family assumed she had tried to run off with her young man and accidentally drowned in the lake on Edgeworth’s estate.”

         “That’s the lake I saw way off in the distance beyond the orphanage?” Anthony had noticed it on arriving at the mansion and hoped to be able to go swimming there during his stay.

         “That’s the one.” Jack headed once more out into the corridor. “Well, it seemed Jason drugged her during dinner and carried her limp body down here afterwards. He had let all his servants leave once they finished serving the meal. He knew the servants couldn’t hear her and the authorities wouldn’t know where to look for her.” Jack was almost to the last limestone area when he stopped and turned to face Anthony. “He repeatedly sexually assaulted her when he wasn’t using those whips and paddles to slowly remove pieces of her naked skin. To add to his enjoyment of her cries of excruciating pain, he packed salt into these open wounds.” Jack was speaking by now so softly Anthony had to strain to hear him. “It took almost a week for her to die. Jason Edgeworth got away once again with murder.”

         Anthony felt sick to his stomach at what Jack had just told him. Ahead of them was the last chamber, the one where Colin had kept Samantha for days until his own death. If Jason’s ancestor was mimicking him and perhaps trying to outdo him, what horrors would they find in the next few minutes?

Chapter 92

‘Samantha, you can’t do that!” Walker heard Edith’s unhappy voice even through the thick door to Samantha’s rooms. When his mother answered his loud knock and let him in, Walker went quickly past her into the living room. He found Samantha nearly in tears and noticed the stubborn set of her chin. Walker knew from past conflicts with her what that meant. She had dug her toes in, determined to have her own way in something.

         He gave a big sigh, knowing what the disagreement between the two women must be about. “Sam, are you still going on about staying with your father for a few weeks?” The previous day, she had informed him of this, and nothing he said could change her mind. “You know you’d be better off here among your friends.”

         Soon after he hired her a few years ago, Walker learned about Samantha’s parents. His lawyers always ran a background check for each new employee. Their report stated Mr. Ward, Samantha’s father, was a widower, having lost his wife in childbirth with their only son. The boy, who was two years younger than Samantha, only lived a few days. After that, Mr. Ward, for all practical purposes, ignored his three daughters. An elderly nanny raised them until their father sent each little girl to boarding school when she reached the age of nine.

         “Walker, please try to understand!” Samantha’s pleading interrupted Walker’s thoughts. “I can’t stay here with everyone knowing what happened to me. That Colin…,” she couldn’t finish that sentence since Edith knew nothing of her conversation with Walker the day before. “I mean, I just need to go away for a bit.”

         Walker shook his head. “Not to your father. If you absolutely insist on going away, I’ll make arrangement for you to spend some time away from here. Maybe a week or so on a cruise might help you sort out your feelings. What about it? You can go with someone to keep you company if you want.”

         “No, I don’t want to be around people. Can’t you two just let me alone?” Samantha started to leave the room, but stumbled and almost fell. Only Walker moving quickly to grab her saved the still weakened woman from landing on the floor. She angrily pushed his arms away and continued into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

         “Walker, give her time.” Edith watched her son staring helplessly at the closed door. “She’s been through a horrific few days and needs to come to terms with whatever happened to her.” Samantha had not told Edith, or anyone else, the details of what had occurred in the dungeon.

         Only Walker knew from reading Colin’s journal, and this knowledge was tearing him apart. “Edith,” he managed to get out, “Sam can’t be around her father. He’ll only push her further into the shell she’s building around herself.” Walker started pacing back and forth trying to think of a way to help Samantha through the aftermath of her ordeal. Only the sound of the bedroom door opening stopped him.

         “I’m sorry I was rude. I know you’re only trying to help, you two, and I do appreciate it, I really do!” Samantha’s contrite tone bothered Walker more than her recent anger. He was used to her stubborn nature, even welcomed it at times. A humble Samantha went against everything he knew and admired about her.

         “Sam, I’ve thought of something better than visiting your father or even going on a cruise.” Walker spoke quietly but with a note of excitement creeping into voice. “What would you think of…?” Before he could finish the sentence, the sound of someone pounding on the front door interrupted him.

Chapter 93

Edith reached the door first. She opened it to reveal Jane standing there, her face turned red from anger.

         Jane saw Walker coming toward them and said, “I’m sorry, Walker, I thought I could handle her, but this might need your delicate touch with women.” She quickly went past Edith to meet Walker. “She’s here!”

         “Who’s here?” Confused, Walker already had forgotten the task he’d assigned to Jane just the day before.

         “Her..you know, her royal highness, or so she’s behaving like she’s one!” Jane was normally an even-tempered woman, able to handle any crisis thrown her way. It surprised Walker to see her so flustered.

         Behind them, they heard Samantha’s quiet voice ask, “Jane, is there something I can help you with?” Coming slowly toward them, trying to hide the pain each step caused her, Samantha eventually reached the hallway. “Do we have a new resident I didn’t know was coming?”

         Walker spoke before Jane could. “No, Sam, it’s not a resident but a visitor. I really didn’t expect her for days, though.” Before Jane could explain, he went on, “However, you don’t have to worry. Jane is more than capable of taking care of any problem that might crop up, aren’t you, Jane?”

         The firmness in his voice finally got through to Jane. She realized knowing Colin’s wife was in the mansion would not help in Samantha’s recovery from his torture. She gave Walker a weak smile before answering, “Of course I can, Walker. I just wanted you to know she’d arrived already. No problems at all, Samantha. You just rest and get better now. I’m on top of this!” With those words, Jane practically ran out of the apartment before she put her foot further into her mouth.

         While Edith went into the small kitchen to brew some tea, Walker guided Samantha back to the living room. Tenderness for her washed over Walker when he felt her holding onto his arm for support. Once seated beside her on the sofa, he leaned forward to once more try to explain his plan for her recovery.

* * *


          “Well, it’s about time you got your arse back here!” These sarcastic words, spoken in a pseudo-posh British accent met Jane the minute she entered the nearly empty dining room. When Lady Edgeworth arrived unexpectedly half an hour earlier, Jane’s mind raced, trying to think of where to put her until her rooms were ready. The mansion’s dining room seemed perfect since breakfast had been over for some time, and lunch was still hours away. This had not worked out quite as she hoped, though.

         “I’m sorry, Lady Edgeworth.” Jane tried to speak calmly, but she was finding it an effort to remain polite with such a rude person. “I felt it necessary to report your presence here to Walker. That is, Mr. Walker. He sends his regards and will be with us shortly.”

         Jane saw a waiter hovering near the door to the kitchen and motioned him over. “Bobby, could you bring some tea for Lady Edgeworth, please?”

         Bobby nodded and headed back for the kitchen only to hear an imperious command, “Earl Grey, and I want it hot, mind you, not that tepid piss you people here drink.” He silently took her command in stride and again started for the kitchen. Once more, he stopped when she called out, “I’m feeling a bit peckish, so I could eat an onion and egg sarnie, if your cook can handle that task.”

         Bobby looked back at Jane for translation. She mouthed so only Bobby could see, “A sandwich. “ He understood and quickly disappeared into the kitchen before any more orders came his way.

         The few elderly guests still eating breakfast witnessed this exchange and whispered among themselves. All conversations stopped, though, when another visitor to the mansion strode into the room. Most already knew Randall from his previous visit, and they greeted him with smiles and friendly words of greeting as he made his way across the room.

         In front of him, he saw Jane sitting with a woman he’d never met before. The forensic agent in him noted she wore more makeup than was usual for women her age. Short blonde hair, straight out of a bottle, appeared so heavily lacquered Randall doubted even the wind from a hurricane would disturb it. Her body, tightly bound in a heavy-duty, industrial-strength corset, showed she already had lost the fight against both time and gravity.

         When Randall reached Jane’s table, he waited for Jane to introduce the woman while a stray thought went through his mind. This woman is mutton dressed up as lamb!

Chapter 94

Before Jane could get out a word, Lady Edgeworth’s mouth practically oozed warm honey when she said, “Mr. Walker, I’d know you anywhere. Class will out, as the saying goes!” She gave Jane a look down her nose that clearly showed she thought Jane had little, if any, class.

         Catching the wink from Randall, unseen by Lady Edgeworth, Jane kept her mouth shut and waited to see how Randall would handle this situation. She tried to keep her laughter under control while watching him take control.

         “Now, Jane, who is this delightful woman gracing our humble establishment?” After saying this, Randall bent down low to kiss the hand of the preening Englishwoman. The bow and kiss were in such an exaggerated manner it was a wonder Lady Edgeworth didn’t catch on to his mockery. Hearing her put-on aristocratic British accent, Randall had immediately remembered Walker telling him of her imminent arrival. He guessed correctly she was already making life miserable for Jane and decided to help keep Colin’s wife out of Walker’s way.

         Lady Edgeworth looked suspiciously at Jane when she heard a muffled chuckle. “Miss, you could have the good manners to introduce me, you know.” She scowled, not liking the fact a mere servant kept her waiting like this. “Well?”

         “I apologize,” said Jane, finally managing to put on a serious face. “Lady Edgeworth, I’d like you to meet Mr. Jefferson Randall. He’s another visitor and came all the way from San Francisco simply to meet with you.” She threw out this last lie in such an innocent way, it made Randall raise one eyebrow in delight. “Mr. Walker will be down soon, but I’m sure we can keep you amused until then. Right, Mr. Randall?”

         “Most definitely we shall!” Randall pulled out a chair and sat down, and his dark blue eyes slowly swept over Lady Edgeworth’s face. What she thought was his adoring gaze, going slowly from her eyes to linger on her mouth, caused the woman to blush.

         “You can leave us, Jane,” said Randall, never taking his eyes off the other woman. “I know you have other work to do, and I’m sure Lady Edgeworth and I will get along just famously without you.”

         Seeing this onerous task taken on willingly by Randall, Jane excused herself and quickly got up before he could change his mind. She looked back when she reached the dining room door in time to see Bobby returning with the tea and sandwich. I sure owe Randall for doing this, Jane thought, smiling in relief. She then phoned Walker to let him know Randall was with Lady Edgeworth and that there was no need to hurry down to be with her.

         For the next half hour, Randall sat quietly watching Lady Edgeworth eating her late morning snack, a smile hovering around his lips. When she finished, he broke his silence to ask, “Would you like a tour of the mansion, Lady Edgeworth, or do you need to freshen up first?”

         “Well, I could use a trip to the karzy, um, I mean the restroom.” The woman practically simpered when she said, “Please call me Ellette. My parents said it means little elf, since I reminded them of one when I was born.”

         “Thank you, Ellette, I’m honored!” Randall reached out and helped her up from the table, thinking there was no vestige of the little elf left in her.

Chapter 95

While Randall was leaning against the wall outside one of the downstairs’ bathrooms waiting for Ellette to come out, a serious conversation was going on in Samantha’s apartment.

         When Edith had come in with the tea tray and set it on a table, she saw Walker leaning forward on his chair to hold Samantha’s hands in his. “Am I interrupting?” she asked, with a mother’s hope that Walker finally was expressing his love to Samantha.

         She found these hopes dashed, however, when Walker let go of Samantha’s hands and stood. “No, I was just telling Sam about that property I own close to Cowtrack Mountains down near Mono Lake. There a small cabin there, very private and secluded, the ideal place for her to stay for a couple weeks.”

         Samantha also stood, automatically reaching out to Walker’s proffered arm for balance. “Edith, what do you think? Walker said it’s stocked with food, enough for a month, and he can have me flown down to the Mono Basin area in a matter of a few hours.”

         Edith beamed at Walker for coming up with the perfect solution. She was worried about Samantha’s mental health, surrounded as she was by too many people knowing of her recent ordeal. “I think it’s a good idea, Samantha. Some time alone might be just what the doctor ordered.”

         She stopped when she realized what she had said. “Speaking of the doctor, though, you need to have Dr. Ellison look you over to see if it’s safe for you to go alone that far away.” When Samantha started to argue, Edith put up her hands to stop her. “Walker, you can’t let her go without the doctor’s approval. Otherwise, someone will have to be with her.”

         “She’s right, Sam. I should have thought of that myself.”

         “Well, I wouldn’t mind Edith coming, if she’s willing.” Much as Samantha liked Dr. Ellison, she felt unfamiliar terror at the thought of anyone touching her. “Can you spare her from the orphanage for a few weeks?”

         Seeing the pleading look Samantha gave him, Walker would have given her anything. “If Edith doesn’t mind, I’ll make arrangements for both of you to fly out this evening.”

         Edith agreed to accompany Samantha, after verifying there was a phone at the cabin for emergencies. With that settled, Walker left the two women making lists of what to take and headed upstairs to his own apartment.

         Two hours later, staff members had packed the mansion’s SUV with suitcases and enough supplies to last the women for months, not weeks. With Edith in the passenger seat beside him, and Samantha stretched out on the back seat, Walker carefully drove the few miles to the Westbrook airport.

         Marie Shepherd, one of Walker’s staff of pilots, helped Walker unload the SUV while Edith buckled Samantha into one of the seats in the plane. Returning to where Walker was placing the last of the suitcases into the cargo hold, she gave him her promise to call if Samantha needed him.

         Walker stood at the edge of the tarmac and watched the small plane climb into the rapidly darkening sky. He stayed there until the plane became a small dot in the distance and finally disappeared entirely. Was this a mistake? he thought, I should have kept Sam close to me, not sent her hundreds of miles away. He was unexpectedly lonely, not a feeling he had ever had before.

         Sam will only be gone a couple weeks, so stop being silly. She’ll be back before I know she’s even gone. With this positive thought, Walker straightened his shoulders and drove back to the mansion where the challenge of Lady Edgeworth waited.

Continued in next segment.
 Home of the Gray Dog - Segment 20  (18+)
Chapters 96 through 100.
#1289144 by J. A. Buxton


© Copyright 2007 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283879-Home-of-the-Gray-Dog---Segment-19