*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285301-An-Opening-Chapter
by Denim
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #1285301
Opening chapter for a romance/drama novel.
Chapter 1

“Harry?  Harry...?” questioned the only other man in the room, moderately trying to get Harry’s attention.

With no immediate response, as always, Harry sat there in (what he considered to be) “the world’s comfiest chair” staring off into random space.
         
It was another Saturday afternoon, and as Harry knows, that means another appointment with his psychiatrist, Rick.  From three to five, this two-hour period is when Harry attempts (with little success) to talk about his feelings, of which he denies having.  The simple room they sat in every week was a relatively spacious environment for only two users, while offering only a leather lounger, desk, chair, and a vertically narrow window facing North.
         
“Did you say something just then?” he finally replied to Rick after far too long of a pause.
         
Rick expressed a bold sigh.  “That’s the third time today you’ve just dazed off like that . . . Should we just call it quits for today?” he asked with a slightly aggrivated tone.
         
“No, no -- sorry.  I’ve just been really off today.  I think I might be having a mid-life crisis, or something like that.”
         
“...You’re 26,”  retorted the restless psychiatrist, hesitating due to being astonished by such an absurd hypothesis,  “If anything, it would be me having the middle-life crisis” he added, followed by a nervous chuckle, realizing that he turns 38 next month.

At times, it may seem like there is hostility between the two of them, Rick has been Harry’s psychiatrist for nearly 4 years now, but they really are good friends.

Harry began slipping back into an anti-social mood.
         
“C’mon, Harry,” said Rick, attempting to stop him, “I can tell there’s something not right with you today.  Tell me what’s on your mind.”
         
Harry quickly turned towards him for the first time of the session.  “Rick, how long has it been since my last relationship?”

“I wouldn’t know.  You haven’t been in a relationship since you’ve had me as your psychiatrist, and you’ve never wanted to discuss your previous relationships with me.”
         
“Damn.  Has it really been that long...?” Harry asked rhetorically with surprise.
         
“Well, that’s good for this week,” stated Rick while getting up from sitting for so long.

“That’s probably the most progress we’ve made in the last few months,” he continued while trying to hide a subtle laugh, “Besides, it’s 5 now, anyways.”

Harry slowly got up and put his jacket slowly over his shoulders.  “Alright, see you next week."
© Copyright 2007 Denim (questos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285301-An-Opening-Chapter