*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285384-Diana
Rated: E · Other · Friendship · #1285384
A short story about the death of a friend in a tragic accident.
    I still remember the first time I met her. It was freshmen year in my English class.
we had been given our assigned seats and lucky for me, my seat was right behind hers. She was beautiful. She had long black hair, big brown eyes and the friendliest smile I had ever seen on a girl so pretty. She turned around and introduced herself. We had the usual short, first-time conversation. All I knew about her was that her name was Diana and she was from Mexico but after that conversation I could tell she wasn’t the average pretty girl.
  It didn’t take long for me to realize what a great personality she had. It was so
easy to tell that most of the guys in the class liked her, but yet she was so modest and unpretentious. Over the year we developed a casual friendship, anyone that knew Diana knew also that it was very hard to not become friends with her. "Hey Adrian! What’s up?" She would ask and give me a kiss on each cheek every time I would see her outside of class. It didn’t matter if she was busy talking to her closer friends, she would always greet everyone she knew.
    Diana simply stood out from all the usual, popular high school girls. I especially
remember one time in class when our teacher was asking us for our favorite quotes. Diana raised her hand and with a slight Spanish accent she said, “If you don’t like something change it, and if you can’t change it change your attitude.” I didn’t give much thought to it than but I always remembered that and now I know that Diana really seemed to live her life by this quote. She was always smiling and I never heard her complain about anything.
    My schedule for second semester had changed and I no longer had Diana for any of my classes. I could no longer talk to her everyday but we would still talk whenever we saw each other around school. One of the last times I remember talking to her was towards the end of the scool year. Diana told me that she wasn’t sure if she would come to the same school the following year.
    After the summer I went back to the same school and she was no longer there.
The last time I saw her was at the local mall. She said hi to me with a big smile as usual, but we couldn’t really talk because we were both in a hurry.  We were not going to the same school anymore, but I never forgot about Diana or her smile. Occasionally people would ask me if I knew her and I would tell them how “cool” she was. Diana was one of those very, very few special persons. 
    Time passed and I didn’t really hear from Diana again. Then one night the phone
rang, it was my cousin she asked me “hey didn’t you know Diana?” as soon as she asked that I knew what she was going to say. I couldn’t believe it. Diana the beautiful girl with the amazing personality was dead. When a person dies people always talk about how good they were, but Diana was truly one of a kind. I always told people that. I only talked to Diana for a year of my life but she really had an impact on me. Even though I know that she knew I was glad to know her, now I think I should’ve told her how special she was. I am not a religious person but I’m convinced that there’s something after death, and wherever she is I hope Diana gets to read this. And from now on I will tell everyone who makes a good impact on me how much I appreciate it.
( Diana was killed when the car she was driving was hit by a train.)
© Copyright 2007 Adrian R. (aaronlm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285384-Diana