*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285495-Pitys-Plane
by Jebo
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1285495
A god named Pity decides to take revenge on a man who has not known his name till now.
The Earth comes to me weeping. This is a sight that would make a mortal ache, but that doesnt concern me. The Ichor flowing positively through my veins begins to flow backwards. As the Mesosphere runs past me, my ethereal blood begins to mutate. Becoming mortal.

Wind hugs me as it is sucked into the curves of my space-time. It carries water which blind and clog my eyes. I blink and the Earth has snuck closer to me. Lightning flashes and its closer still.

I am not sure of my path, but I know my target. When I am called by forces innate and cardinal, I do not protest. Justice has appealed for my brand of retribution before.

It suddenly gets cold, as rain begins to pound my skin. Mist and darkness hide my descent.

But I hear a weak roar of an oily engine from my right. A jet engine. I watch as it gulps in air, churning it, and then spit it back out again (fouled).

I turn and look at this beast of steel, and see the one that I despise. A man who has not known my name. Today he will. I aim for one of the engines.

Tonight, Pity descends upon you Mr. Lang.


Part I: Encounter

The turbulence was nearly unbearable. But I needed to get home, and I had no time for detours. Alan, the pilot, warned me of the storm thirty minutes ago. 'Continue on course', I told him. Wish I hadn't now.

“It will be over soon sir” said a voice I knew well. I turned to see my head Protector Anker, wearing a black suit with a red tie. Around his right hip his jacket bulged out, hiding his firearm, a black Beretta '92. “Alan just told me.”

“Ah yes, no worries.” was all I said. Flying. Who in the right mind would ever become a pilot. Living with turbulence your entire life. Not for me. No Intelligent gentleman would ever perform such a service. The intelligent man should choose business or politics. Learn to do what you had to, in order to stay ahead. And look at the difference between us now. He was up there working while I was back here lounging.

Ring-Ring, the watch on my alarm was going off. Ah yes, I almost forgot about my meeting with the priest. I looked at Anker and said, “Ill be in my quarters.”

He nodded while I began disembarking towards the stairs, walking up them slowly and chasing the hall down to my private bedroom.

“Mr. Lang.” the priest called, hidden in the corner of the hallway. He was sitting on Anker's “bed”, but the white skinned man of about forty was now walking towards me dressed in his clerical cassock and collar. A wooden cross hanging around his neck.

“Ah Mr. Callows. Sorry If I had you waiting too long.”, I said

“Don't worry about it brother, I had arrived only moments before you. And it is I, and the father above who grieve for your loss.”

“Thank you father, that means a lot to me.” Oh poor wife. Please. The insurance money is going to be more useful then whatever utility she has brought me. “Do come in.”

We walked into my bedroom, furnished lavishly with a beautiful cherry wood bookcase and a matching desk. The bed was padded with black and green blankets, with standard white pillows fighting for control. But for now, the priest and I just sat around my desk in two lounge chairs, placed there just for this sort of occasion.

The man sat down heavily, he truly was depressed about Martha's death. But they knew each other back when the father was just an Altar Boy. Back then she would go to church on a regular basis, even after marrying me she still went for Easter Sunday and Christmas. Probably even went to pray for my safe return while I was off boozing, gambling, and spreading my seed. The memories brought a smile to my face.

“Are you thinking of her, brother?” he smiled before continuing, “That is good. The best way to honor her is to remember her. I remember when we were both young and naïve -”

“Hah,” I laughed before catching myself, You mean to tell me she wasn't naïve now? “Sorry father, I think I know this story. But I would like to hear you tell it.”

He grinned and then continued, “Well after Sunday School the two of us, and a few friends would go into town. We would all gossip and talk about our future and who we were going to marry. I 'don't care so long as they are rich' I would say. When we asked Martha who she was going to marry she always said the same thing. 'The father of my baby of course'. One time Father McNealy heard her say that and had her confess her sins. You cannot have a baby before you are married he told her. Hah. At the time she really had no idea how it all worked, but then again none of us did.

Never did, never will. I bowed my head in fake remembrance and sympathy. I got up and poured us a drink of Whiskey, “To Martha” I said giving him a glass. He nodded and took the shot with me. Not bad.

“Brother there is something I wanted to tell you, the reason why I requested this meeting and told you that story.” he said, “The surgeon who was signed to your wife found out that she was actually pregnant. Apparently for three months now. I asked that I be the one to tell you.”

Now that actually did stun me. I turned to face the window then, watching the storm. A baby? Was it even mine? Why didn't she tell me anything. “Wh-what was it?”

“It was still too early to tell.” was all he said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“Thank you Father, I would like to be alone now.”

He started to make his way out the door when a large bang shook the airplane, knocking both of us on our feet. Through the rain I could hear the puttering of a failing engine, I rushed to the window and had a look. Black smoke was billowing out of the second engine on the right wing, before it failed all together. The turbine casting a baleful stare.

I heard feet running up the stairs towards me. Anker appeared seconds later, “Are you alright sir?”

“Yes, I'm fine. One of the engine's is broken. Look” I said pointing out the window. Anker moved swiftly towards the window and saw for himself.

“Don't worry sir its fine, the plane can fly without it. But we may want to think of making a landing.”

“No detours!” I screamed passing Anker and grabbing the phone off the desk. Quickly dialing the keys to get hold of Alan I yelled the same thing back at him.

“Yes of course not sire. Your wife has to be delivered to your family's tomb as soon as possible.”

That caused me to halt. Wife and child. No. A fetus. Why hadn't she told me. I wasn't home very often, when was the last time we even slept together? That whore. I will go home and find out who did this, and I will torture him for hours before stripping his-- Yes, It could not have been mine. Could it?

The lights began to flicker for a minute before going out altogether. My money! I pulled out my cell phone which contained a flashlight to light up the room.

“Good thinking sir.” said Anker.

“Everyone out.” I yelled, pointing the light towards the door. Anker and Father Callows shuffled out. I closed the door behind them quickly securing the three locks.

But a moment later the lights all came back on. I had no time to care though and I rushed towards the corner of the room and moved one of the lounge chairs. Underneath it was a hidden hatch which I threw open. Inside was a green safe about Ten inches cubed, it was attached to a hydrolic jack which was now pushing it up.

While it was still moving up I started to fumble with the lock. My practiced hands opening it on the first attempt to reveal a large quantity of cash. My heartbeat began to slow and my muscles unwound. Its fine. Of course it was. Calm now, I made myself another drink and had a seat on my bed. That's the third time today I looked to make sure it was still there.

Finally relaxing, the phone rang. I groaned and walked over to my desk to answer, it was Anker.

“Sir, sorry to bother you but there is this unknown red glob located around the second floor guest rooms.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“I'm not sure sir, Big Kay was the one who found it. He said it was dripping through the ventilation system when he first saw it.”

“Alright I'm coming to have a look.”

I put away the safe and replaced the lounge chair before leaving the room and making my way towards the guest rooms. One more night. And I could go home, relax, possibly begin thinking of retirement.

Anker was poking the substance with a pencil when I got there. Around him was Big Kay, and big this man was. Six and a half feet tall he nearly scraped the ceiling. His black stripped pants were not long enough for him and hovered an inch or two too high above his ankles. No jacket could fit him, muscled like a demon. He just wore a white shirt and a plain blue tie which would have been more like a rope to a normal man.

As abnormal as Big Kay was, this substance was even weirder. It sort of looked like a mound of red clay, but where had it come from? And who put it there? “Any idea on what it is?”, I asked.

“No sir, not yet. Possibly could have something to do with the failed engine.”

That alarmed me, “You think this could be sabotage?” My heart racing again for what felt like the 100th time this night. When will all this end?

“I don't think so sir. Theres only Big Kay, the priest, Alan, a few servants, and you on the plane. And I had everything checked thoroughly. No I'm sure whatever caused the engine to fail was just a natural accident. This on the other hand,” he said poking the substance, “is a mystery. Its likely we wont know till we land.”

“Land!” I yelled, “How many times do I have to tell you. We are not landing.”

“But sir who knows what this could be?” Anker protested.

“You said yourself that it was fine. And I don't pay you as much as I do for you to make mistakes.”

He bowed his acknowledgment, “Yes sir, sorry for the presumption sir.”

“Whatever it is, I don't care. Kay throw this thing away.” I said

Big Kay nodded and I began to walk back to my room. I turned one last time to witness Big Kay scoop it up whole in one try and throw it away in the trash receptacle. Outside the rain was still pouring and the lightning still flashing. For some reason I did not think I would get much sleep this night.

Part II: Pity's Puddle.
It was a pity about what happened to the boss's wife. Nice lady, I always thought. Would always say hi to me and I always felt bad not being able to say anything back. He has three rules he told me the day I got hired. First rule is not to steal from him. The second rule had something to do with taxes and all my money given under the table. The Third rule was not to say anything to his wife. Odd rule really, but he seemed to practice it himself. I don't think I ever saw the two talking. A shame. Husband and wife should always talk.

While I thought that rule was weird I respected it. A husband should always take care of his wife. Back when Marie and I were still dating I always made sure to pay for her meals. Its what a man was supposed to do. His duty. And I am doing my duty now, picking up this red goo
.
I bent over to pick up the last of it and moved to throw it away. Thats all of it. Wonder what it was and where it came from. Couldn't have been from Anker, that man is fickle about his loyalty. But I respect that too. A man like him is a man anybody could trust. Being an ex-navy seal and secret service agent you think the man would have gone nuts from all that protecting, whether its our country or our president. But he just keeps on protecting people. I asked him about it once, 'Why do you always protect people Anker'. He just stared at me like I was crazy for not knowing and said, 'I like the medals they give me for it'. I laughed. I had no idea if he was serious or not but I thought it was funny.

And medals he did have. Always carried them around with him, wherever he went. He keeps them stapled around his right breast pocket. One day when it was hot he took his jacket off and I was later caught searching through it. But I was just looking at the medals I told him. I think he wanted me to see his medals, any man would be proud to have such things.

But I had my ring, and my three little boys back home in Georgia. A man could certainly be proud of that as well.

Finishing up scrubbing the floors now I looked up at the ventilation shaft where the clay was coming from. I should probably have a look in there just in case, but I would need a screwdriver. I bet Anker's got one. He was up outside of the boss's room so I made my way to the staircase. The lightning seemed to be growing stronger, Alan said that it probably would. Maybe I will join him in the cockpit for awhile later and watch the madness.

Entering the staircase now I heard the priest and Anker talking, but could not make out what they were saying. Anker and the priest were old friends. Whenever Anker had to use extra force to protect the boss, Anker was sent to the priest by Mrs. Lang to confess. I sneaked closer to the top and listened in on their conversation.

“A baby? Martha was pregnant.” said Anker in a stunned voice.
It took me a second to realize who they were talking about. A baby! The boss was going to have a child? I pictured my little boys back home and my wife smiling. Now I pictured them dying and a deep hurt began to storm inside me. I started to cry.

“How did the boss take it?”, said Anker.

“I'm not really sure. He screamed for me to get out. You know him, not one for public emotion.”

“Yea, poor guy. You know he has been rather silent in there. You don't think he would -- do you?” said Anker.

“Lang.” the priest said sounding truly shocked, “No he would never kill himself. From what I can tell he loves life's indulgences too much to do anything like suicide.”

“Once he asked if he could try my sidearm. For defense training.” said Anker before continuing, “Now I have protected many types of people. And people like Lang who pays guys like me to protect them don't bother learning something beneath their status. So I told him that he could trust me, Presidents have.”

“Oh he must have been furious at that.”

“Not really, well he was but it was all a show you know what i mean. Like asking for the gun was a cry for help or something.”

'Nah, I cant believe he would ever do that.” said the priest.

Me neither. But the poor man has lost a lot recently. And times have been tough on the company. He has no other family to go to, just us and his work. I never really noticed before how bad I felt for the boss. I used to think he had everything, but now I'm not so sure. Guys like that care so much about material possessions that they miss out on some of the more amazing life experiences. The man has probably never even gone to a concert, never got to see his children play ball, nor hug them when they come home with good grades.

I snapped out of my daze and made my way up the final steps and waved to the both of them. My eyes were still a little red but they would probably assume it was from handling the clay.

“Hello Kay,” said Anker, “Figure out what that stuff is?”

“No idea.” I said, “I think I should look in the vent it was coming from to see if there was anymore of it.”

“Good idea, ill come with you.” said Anker.

“Same here.” said the priest.

“Anyone can help if they know where a screwdriver is.” I hinted jovially.

“Theres one in the cockpit.” said Anker, “ill meet you guys down there.”

Anker made his way down the staircase and we followed him, but he went off to the left at the bottom as we continued right towards the guest rooms.

The priest seemed like a nice man, had to be, but I never had a conversation with him before so I wasn't really sure what to say. I hated awkward moments like this and I began to sweat from nervousness. But the priest didn't seemed troubled by the silence.

“Kay” he finally said, “I am not sure we ever met formally. My name is Father Callows.” he stuck out his hand for me to shake and I grabbed it eagerly, maybe squeezing a bit too hard.

“Glad to meet you father.”, I said relieving some of my anxiety. That wasn't so hard, why didn't I think of that. No one would ever consider me a talkative person, only my wife really knew the sound of my voice. Probably the only one who can hear it in a crowd. But even with her I was shy at first. I wonder if the boss ever had problems like this, probably did. The poor guy. He never really said much either, and I never really tried to talk to him.

“How long have you been working for Mr. Lang?” the priest asked.

“Oh just a few years now.” I said

“Did you know Mrs. Lang at all.”

“Yes, very nice woman. I always liked her, she would always say hi to me. And I'm not even an important guy in the company. I just go to meetings with Mr. Lang and stand there. Not really sure why he pays me to do that, probably to intimidate, but I wouldn't hurt anyone.” I said, words flowing out of me. “The boss and her have been good to me. I never had the chance to thank them both, but ill thank the boss later thats for sure.”

I wasn't really sure why I was talking this much, it was very weird for me. The only person I say this much too is Anne back home.

“Thats nice, I bet he'll like that.” said Father Callows smiling kindly at me.

We reached the guest rooms and waited for Anker to catch up. He showed up a minute or two later with the promised screwdriver and handed it to me. I thought at first it was because I was the captain or something of the group but then realized that I was the only one tall enough to reach the vent.

I took out all the screws but the vent was still stuck in place. I yanked on it as hard as I could and managed to rip it out. But red dust came with it, covering the three of us. The dust flooded my lungs quickly and coughing I ran out of the room. Anker and the Father were both following my lead.

“What was that?” I asked the others.

“Must be residue from the substance” Anker said, still coughing sporadically.

“Anker, your bleeding!”, yelled the priest.

My eyes darted towards Anker and I was shocked to see a trail of blood flowing out of his eyes. Anker put his hands up to his face and wiped at the blood. “Its not blood, just tears mixed with that dust.” he said then with a shocked face then pointed towards Father Callows, “Father!Your bleeding too. As with you Kay”.

I put my hand to my face and it came away covered with blood. But its consistency wasn't like blood, it must have been tears like Anker said. But why was I crying, I wouldn't have even known if Anker hadn't said anything.

Are these the same tears you shed boss? For Martha.

“Poor man.” I sobbed, while bloody tears fell from my chin, “A Child!” I yelled, “Would these tears have flown when your first child was born?” On the floor a puddle was forming beneath all of our feet. As a deep grief engulfed my being. A sympathy I never knew I even had.

“Someone to protect,” cried Anker whose face was twisted with pain.

“Someone he could truly love,” bawled the Father, “No god to pray too. No family to hug him.”

“He just has his money now. And us.” I continued, “But these are tough times for the company. Does he even have his wealth anymore?”

I tore off my silver watch. Then fiddled at my wedding ring but it was stuck. Using the bloody tears I lubricated it enough to take it off. “But I can help you. Poor man. We can help you”

Anker and the Father were grabbing their wallets for cash. Moving back up the stairs we went to help our boss. You need this more than we do sir.

***
Part III: A Plane of Pity
When will this storm end?

Probably not till after tomorrow, when I land. It will be good to be back home, I just want to relax. Forget about all that has happened.

Why didn't she tell me she was pregnant? Can't really blame myself for not noticing, I was busy with work. The economy hasn't been good and who has time for that stuff anyways? She understood though, that must be why she didn't tell me.

I walked over to my bar and poured myself another drink. What was this the eighth? Its always hard to tell with really good whiskey, much like when you eat your favorite snack and forget how many you ate. Even though you know it's bad for you, you keep on eating. That's life.

I glanced over at the lounge chair and smiled while I took another shot. But the shots were not as comforting as I hoped. An image of her constantly popping back into my mind. She was smiling, her hand on her stomach. A baby.

Times weren't good for children anyways, who would want there child to grow up in a world like this. A boy would be killed in some war, or a girl raped and tortured by some freak. Its ugly out in the real world, thats what my wife didn't know. I pity the man who raises a child in this world.

The door knocked. Then again. Banging now. Repeatedly.

“What is this!” I yelled at the door rushing towards it in a march. Blood rushing to my head. How dare they!

“Its OK sir. Its just us.” the door called back at me.

“OK!” I screamed pulling the door open, “It is never OK to bang on my door.”

I screamed at the sight of them, slamming the door on Anker's hand. Blood trailing down their faces. I quickly slammed shut all the locks on the door.

My money! They must be after the money. I looked towards the chair once again, smiling like a madman. But they will not get it. They'll have to get by me.

I could hear their voices echo through the cherry door. Traitors, trying to tell me that everything is fine. Ill show them that everything is fine. I quickly dashed towards my desk and opened the bottom drawer. And pulled out a Remington 1100 shotgun and shells.

“Even you Anker.” I yelled, “Wont teach me how to fire a weapon! Wasn't paying you enough is that it. Well you'll get payed now.”

I put the first shell in the gun and cocked it aiming at the door. Lightning was pounding as the door was being battered by the traitors. I aimed the gun at the center and fired. Splinters danced through the air and I heard a sharp scream. Pain coursed through my own arm as the recoil smashed into my shoulder. But I loaded another shell, the pain an afterthought to the adrenaline coursing through my veins.

A gun flashed in the hole the shotgun created and Anker yelled, “Sir, freeze. We mean you no harm.”

Sweat began to fall down my face as I was forced to drop the gun before loading the second bullet. Or you would be dead, all of you! I fell backwards into the corner of the room, hiding behind my lounge chair.

The gun still trained on me he used his other hand to unlock the other bolts, and kicked the door open. “Sir are you alright sir? We mean you no harm.” Said Anker. I was able to see the wounds in his right jacket pocket, but they weren't as deep as I hoped. Protected by those damn medals he always wears.

But the blood trailing down their eyes told me a different story, like the tears she cried. There intent was to murder me and take my money. I know it!

Big Kay appeared next in the doorway, one of his arms was flailing uselessly at his side. Blood trailing down and coalescing with the blood dripping down his face on to the floor. The bullet must have gotten a piece of him.

“Boss” the big killer muttered, “I'm sorry boss. I love you.”

Love?! What the hell was going on in this plane. Big Kay moved closer to me, arms open as if he wanted to hug the life out of me. There was something glinting in his hand. It was gold and silver. “Take this.” the big man yelled.

“and this as well” yelled Anker. Both threw their gifts to me. What is this madness? The items landed on the chair's seat. Wedding Bands. Was this a sick joke?

“You need it more then we do sir. Keep them.” Big Kay and Father Callows said in unison. While Anker was taking out the money in his wallet before he too threw it all on the sofa.

“What is the meaning of all this” I screamed, tears flowing down my face.

“Don't cry sir” they said, “We all love you sir.”

“Love!” I yelled, “Why does everyone use that word.” Images popping up in my head, I could not control them. Of her telling me that, 'I love you'. Her hands on her stomach, bleeding to death. I smiled then just like the way I smiled now, as my knife stabbed through her body. Tearing flesh and grating on bone.

I laughed loud, “You feel sorry for me.” I couldn't help but keep laughing at that thought as tears flowed down my smiling face.

“Yes sir. We all heard about the baby. I cant imagine what you are feeling, I don't know what I would do if I lost one of my little boys.” said Big Kay sympathetically.

“Who gives a fuck about your little inbred boys!” I yelled, still laughing. But Kay did not get angry, he just gave me that look of pity. They all gave it to me. “I don't need your help”, I cried. “I'm fine. Enough with this sympathy. My baby boy. Now he is the one who needs it. And her. Who bled for me.”

They didn't say anything, they all just shared that sympathetic look. Those images! I cant shake them. “ARGGHH!” I yelled grabbing my head. “Why do I care?” I could not escape that night, I was living it all again now, smashing her head against the wall before I began to stab her. Blood flew down her cheeks combining with the blood from her smashed skull and forming those rivers of bloody tears.

Big Kay moved closer to me, his bloody tears staining my jacket just like hers.

“Back off” I yelled looking down at the blood which stained my shirt. It was on my stomach. A baby? Maybe it was a boy. Your mom is bleeding, I'm sorry. I didn't know there were two of you. I could have gotten twice the insurance money. I laughed before crying even more. Blood, I realized. Thats what you need. I'll save you. (what is this deep pity?)

I quickly scrambled to my desk grabbing a knife, “I know how to save you. Your mommy needs blood.” I raised the knife high and stabbed myself in the stomach, pulling it out before stabbing again. Anker rushed towards me, to protect me. “No Anker, it's OK, I'm protecting him. Don't worry. This is a fathers duty.” But her skull was still broken, when I smashed it severely into the concrete wall.

“ARGGH” I screamed again as I drove my skull into my desk. Bones snapping in a wet crushing sound. I turned to see my reflection in the window, blood now trailed from my face spreading like a plague down my face. It began joining with my tears. “Just like her”, I cried before falling to the ground. Here you go.

Blood was pouring from my stomach as I moved my hands to my belly, “I love you” I said before succumbing to the blood loss.

A pity, everyone thought. Even Pity himself.
© Copyright 2007 Jebo (jebo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285495-Pitys-Plane