*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1286216-Peace-in-a-Time-of-War
Rated: E · Editorial · Inspirational · #1286216
This essay is about finding peace in a time of war and is meant to inspire.
      These are trying days for those of us who have been peace activists for some time. The United States government has been occupying Iraq for more than four years now. The U.S. will be there, engaging in war, fueling conflict, for some time.
      How do those of us who resist that conflict and want no part of it deal with that? This is a large question that requires both reflection and communal dialogue. We  must a) reflect on the strength of the peace in our hearts, and b) we must gear up for the long haul of protesting our government's injustice, killing, lies.
        The next likely questions that follow are: How do we cultivate a good, strong peace within and how do we enable others to acquire it so we can address the issues at hand?
        It is a noble exercise to create peace within. Mahatma Gandhi achieved it in part by fasting. Purification helps. We are all guilty of exhausting our inner resources by eating too much, sleeping too little, getting stressed out. We have a responsibility to ourselves just to take care of the basics.
      Alcoholics Anonymous, (AA), a successful program of self help, often discusses the importance of HALT. HALT is an acronym that stands for hungry, angry, lonely, tired. When we are hungry, we should eat. When we are angry, we should seek some counsel, like the attentive ears of a friend. When we are lonely, we should get together with someone who can be there or someone we can help. When we are tired, we should rest.
      Speaking from experience, I know that true spiritual work and true involvement with community cannot possibly begin until I have taken care of these basics.  And it cannot continue unless I keep up the self care.     
        Activism requires a strong body, mind and spirit. It requires as much attention to one's own basic needs as to the cause at hand. We can't stand all day in front of the White House with signs, yelling protests in snowy weather unless we've slept well the night before and had a good meal to sustain us beforehand.
        Along with that, we can't maintain strength as an activists unless we gauge our emotional tolerance. We can't get agitated about everything. Sure GW should not have pardoned Libby, but look at the bright side. Now even more people know how little regard GW has for the law. Responding calmly works best for our blood pressure and for getting results in the long haul.
        Very early on as an activist, I had to ask myself what I could and could not do for my cause. I could protest every week at a vigil, for example. But I could not afford to travel every month to Washington DC to lobby for some cause or another. At some point all of us tire of what we are doing or how we are doing it and a) need to change our response to the injustice at hand, or b) need to take a break.
        Let's respect that and the fact that while we all want to be superpeople, we are just human.
        Cindy Sheehan, the mom who lost her son in Iraq and dared to confront Bush with the question, "Why did my son die?" has been and remains a brilliant example of a successful activist because she knows how long to stay at the podium and when to take a break. It will do no one any good if we die for our cause out of sheer exhaustion. So, refueling is of the essence.
        Refuel by taking quiet time. Do it daily. If you can't do it daily, do it weekly, or monthly. Read inspirational material. Read about how others do it. If Mahatma Gandhi could win over all of India and millions even today by the strategy of nonviolent resistance, perhaps we can also. If the Dalai Lama can maintain peace in his heart and peaceful relations with all people, including Chinese leaders, in the face of constant oppression by the Chinese government in Tibet, then we also have something to learn from him.
        Love and compassion win over the enemy of hatred within and eventually they are the only weapons that defeat external enemies.
        If we would try with these strategies to resolve differences, if we would utilize diplomacy instead of aggression and militarism, we might be in a different place. The U.S. government does not utilize peaceful means, but if enough of us here and around the world do it, creating peace within and in our immediate communities, we  have a chance to turn the wheel of the world in a better direction. PEACE.
       
© Copyright 2007 AryaJournal (arya1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1286216-Peace-in-a-Time-of-War