*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1287076-Summer-Camp
Rated: E · Short Story · Personal · #1287076
This is a short story about a Summer Camp that I used to visit as a child.
         The evergreen trees lined up along the dirt road forming a fence, their branches hanging in a helter skelter pattern. The entrance to the camp could be seen twenty yards or so down the road. It was marked by an old wooden plank sign that read "Lutheran Brotherhood Campground."
 
         This was my third summer at camp and I was excited. For the next three weeks I would be on my own, with only my cabin mates to keep me company. It would be fun.
 
         The yellow school bus turned right and entered the camp. I could see the church off the the left. It was a long, squat white building with wooden siding and a cross at the very top of the sloped roof. There was very little decoration adorning the church. The only thing that stood out were the twin oak doors the signified the entrance.
 
         On the right, cabins dotted the hillside. They looked like little white longhouses. Each cabin was actually two cabins connected together almost like a duplex. They were about ten feet apart with just enough space between them to see the cabins behind. Trees were also visible, mixed in with the cabins. It almost looked like a small village.
 
         Straight ahead of the bus was the gaming area. I could see the metal hoops and wooden poles for croquet cover the lawn, with volleyball nets, shuffleboard decks and assorted balls filling the background. Behind the gaming area was the lake. The water was a greyish blue color with little white streaks that moved with the wind.
 
         The bus came to a halt in front of the church and a man in a white polo shirt and blue shorts walked up to the door. He was the camp director and he was going to give us his welcoming speech. This was my third time here, and I would hear the same speech again. It never changed.
 
         After the speech, we got off of the bus and lined up on the grass in front of the church like little soldiers. Two more of the camp staff walked up toting huge green garbage bags. One at a time, we each walked to them and received our two uniforms. next, the camp director paired us off in groups of three and assigned us our cabins.
 
         I walked with my two other cabin mates toward our cabin. We were in a cabin close to the back of the camp. Our cabin had a tree right next to the front corner. The shade from it covered the front of the cabin. Good, it would stay cool during the hot summer days. The inside of the cabin was decorated with all wooden paneling, including the floor.
 
         After unpacking and taking a nap, we rushed down to the lunchroom and ate dinner. We had hamburgers, french fries and salad. This was also standard first day issue. A short church service followed dinner. It was a standard fare sermon about good and evil. The only thing on my mind was all the fun I would be having during the next few weeks.
 
         Finally, we had two hours of free time before we had to go to bed. I chose to go to the arcade and play video games, the TV room would be too crowded.
 
         The bell rang, signaling bedtime. I walked slowly back toward the cabin. It was good to be back. I felt like a king returning from a victorious battle. As I lay in bed that night, a thought came to me. This was going to be a good summer.
 
Summer Camp
by Dave Powell
 
This is a short story written by me many years ago for an assignment. I cherish the memories contained within and so I have kept it all these many years. I hope you enjoy it as well.
© Copyright 2007 Poetry Emotion (zenman7718 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1287076-Summer-Camp