*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1287151-Melody-Of-Words
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1287151
Chap1. About a young girl who aspires to be a famous writer...theres just one problem.
Chapter One

  The first day of school is when students hustle about the halls; trying to find their
friends to compare schedules, anticipating their classes, teachers, and signing up for clubs and after school activities. This applied to most of the students at Twain Private Academy, all but one. Madison Rose sat at her desk in her first hour, AP English class, staring at the papers atop her desk for what seemed like ten straight minutes. Her classes were perfectly scheduled.

         First she had her AP English class, then advanced journalism, and was exempt from her third period for newspaper and yearbook club. Since she was finally a senior this year, she was allowed to leave early everyday at twelve thirty. What worried her the most was what lay in the packet behind her schedule. She never knew that a few single off-white pieces of paper, offering her a chance at a full scholarship to Manhattan's prestigious Pengham’s Writer’s Institute, could be so bittersweet.

         She had met all of the general requirements: 4.0 grade point average, clean school record,and at least two literature-related after school activities. As she went through filling out the papers in her mind, she found that the last page was the hardest to complete.                    
                                                                     
         1.What writer's conventions have you been able to take part in?          

         2. Have you been able to intern or work for any current writers?          

         3. Can any of these writers write a letter of recommendation for you?
                                                                               

         She knew perfectly well that her main rival, Jessica Franklin, had interned  for Jake Lakeson, famous young adult fiction writer, over the summer. Although Jessica was already one step ahead of her, she was in no position to give up.There had to be some way out of this predicament. She was not going to give up on this scholarship, she couldn't. The only reason she was even accepted into Twain Academy was because of her terrific academic standing, that earned her a full paid tuition bonus. As an aspiring writer, she had to be the best, and being the best meant going to the  highest level school she could get in. That meant nothing less than Pengham was acceptable. Her mind raced with possible scenarios. She could only think up one option before her thoughts were disrupted.                                                                                                    
         “Hey, Madison. Can I see your schedule?” pleaded the tan skinned girl in the seat beside her. It was just like Alexa to choose the closest desk to her. Alexa Roshep was Madison’s first friend upon entering Twain Academy. Even after four years of having the same English classes together the two never sat apart, even with assigned seats.

         Madison handed her raven-haired friend her schedule and smiled. Her friend changed a bit over the summer. Her hair grew about two inches and her backpack was was completely covered with band logo buttons. Of course she decided to rebel against the uniform codes just as she'd done all the years previous. Her navy skirt was rolled up shorter than the schools legal limit and the sleeves of her black blazer were cut off. ‘She’s bound to get in trouble for that later’ Madison thought.

         “How do you manage to have only three classes? Isn’t that impossible?” exclaimed Alexa. Even after four years of practically knowing everything about one another, she was still completely oblivious to some things.

         “Remember, I double booked on all my required academic classes during my first two years and that first semester of junior year so I could concentrate on my writing and my literature classes this year,” Madison pointed out. She handed the scholarship packet over to Alexa. “Good thing I did too,. I have to figure a way out of this.”

         Alexa skimmed the papers as she balanced a pen on her top lip, humming and making weird noises occasionally. “Well I see the problem. You fit the grades and extra curricular activities requirements, but I guess you’re freaking out over Jessica’s internship this summer because of the last section?”                    

         “Bingo,” said Madison, putting the papers away in her backpack and taking a big gulp of Sprite from her water bottle. Alexa could tell this was really getting to Madison. When she stressed she usually kept on drinking juice or soda until she made a million runs to the bathroom within an hour.

         “I think you better take it easy before your bladder explodes.”

         “I can’t help it. I can only think of one option but...”

         “You mean your afraid to ask Stephanie for help on this?” Alexa rested the side of her face on her palm and looked at Madison quizzically.

         “Exactly. Just because she’s the only writer I know... I... I just don’t want her to feel like I’m using her to get this scholarship. Even though I really need the help,” said Madison, gripping the cap of her bottle shut.

         “Just explain the situation to her, maybe you guys can work out some sort of a deal.”

         “Yeah. You’re right. I’ll talk to her after school. She said she should be here by the end of the week.”

         “Sounds good to me. I’ll meet you out front after third hour as always, right?”

         “Yeah. I think we better start paying attention,” said Madison, holding up her index finger to her lips as their English teacher, white-bearded Mr. Lettermen, sent them an unhappy glance.

         After their English class, it seemed like the day flew by in two hours instead of five, mostly because all the first few days of school usually consisted of was talking about procedures and classroom rules. Just like all the previous years, Madison waited outside by the large metal gates of the school for Alexa.

         “Madison,” could be heard being yelled by someone down the front pavilion. Madison turned around to see Alexa running towards her.

         “Sorry, I’m a bit late,” she said as she ran up to her, huffing for breath.

         “It’s alright. We can still catch the next train if we hurry a bit,” said Madison, looking at her wrist watch.

         “Let’s get going,” said Alexa, as she began sprinting toward the direction of the graffiti covered train station.

         The girls barely made it on the 12:25 B train. The doors would have closed on the two if Alexa hadn’t stuck her back pack in between the doors, causing them to open again. Sitting down by a window seat, they gasped for breath.

         “So, have you decided if you're gonna talk to her?”asked Alexa, after she finally caught her breath fifteen minutes later.

         “Yeah, I guess so,” replied Madison. “I called her on my cell while I was waiting for you, and she said it was okay for me to come over as soon as I got home.”

         “That’s great. Hope it works out. Let me know tomorrow how things went. This is my stop. I’ll see you later,” said Alexa, rising from her seat and waving good bye, hurriedly.

         For the rest of her train ride Madison thought up possible ways to start up the conversation. Should she just get straight to the point or beat around the bush? How should she word her questions? These questions consumed her mind until she ended up at the front door of her Brooklyn apartment.

         She got out her key, which had one too many cute key chains attached to it, and turned the knob as the lock clicked open. Her grandfather welcomed her home from the kitchen as she entered into the hallway.

         “Hi Grandpa,” said Madison, warmly. She took off her school shoes and slipped her feet in a pair of slippers. It was her grandmother's main rule: no shoes in the house. She ran up to her grandpa,  kissing him on the cheek as she gave him a big bear hug.

         “Hi, honey. Grandma is going to be late tonight. She’s going to stop by the Russian store after work,”said her Grandfather, returning the kiss atop her head.

         Madison loved her grandparents. They had practically been her biological parents for two years now ever since her parents died. It had felt weird to come home to her grandparents, but after some time it began to feel almost natural to her. They were both kind, caring people. Her grandfather worked in the morning driving food over to houses of handicapped elderly people, while her grandmother worked afternoons at a travel agency she had been with for over twelve years. She was glad that she was able to stay with them but she always felt guilty of being a huge burden on them. They always told her not to worry about paying for college or anything at all. But Madison felt too guilty to accept something as huge as that from them. Just taking her in and loving her was enough. She didn’t want them to have any extra expenses, thanks to her. Looking up at her grandfather made her that much more determined to march over to Stephanie’s apartment and tell her she needed her help. 

         “Do you want to have some lunch now honey?” asked her grandfather.

         “In a little bit. I’m going to go next door and talk to Stephanie about something.”

         “Alright dear. Don’t be too long or your soup will get cold.”

         “Ok. I’ll be back in a little bit,” said Madison, as she headed out the door and into the hallway.

         After her parents died Madison was left with practically nothing. Her mother had rebelled against her grandmother and became a wild child. She married her father at eighteen and never even finished high school. When Madison lived with her parents it was like coming home to a house full of troubles everyday. Whether it was house problems or debts, her father had problems with it all. In the end their apartment, car, and belongings were all sold off by the state to repay all their accumulated debts. The only good thing her parents left behind for her was her mother’s connection with Stephanie. They had been childhood friends, both being rebels when they were younger, and ended up still keeping in touch even into their twenties.

         Some would consider it a gift from god that Stephanie was a world renowned novelist staying right next door to her apartment. Madison loved being able to get tips from her, having her read some of her essays, and talking with her. She wished one day she would be able to write as well as Stephanie. She had a way of writing that made the reader imagine things to the smallest detail. She could send her readers crying in hysterics or smiling all day. Over time, she even became so incredibly rich from all of her movie deals that she owns a huge penthouse in Manhattan that took up the entire 25th floor of the building. She bought the apartment next door as sort of a place to hide out from her agent and editors when she just needed some time to think. Stephanie never told her directly, but she felt that after her mother found out she wanted to be a writer, she asked her to be discrete and mentor her. Which seemed to explain why out of all the apartments in Brooklyn it had to be the one next door to her grandparents that she used as her getaway house. Stephanie claimed it was because of the pleasant size and quaintness, as well as the nice ocean view from the boardwalk, but Madison knew better. She appreciated all the help but something like this was a big favor to ask. It would cost a lot of money to go on some of the professional writer’s conventions and seminars. Also, there were many other people out there more qualified to be her intern, but maybe they could work something out.

         Madison sure hoped so. She prayed inwardly to herself to let this conversation go well as she rung the doorbell.

         “Let yourself in!” yelled a voice from the other side.

         Madison slowly let herself in and there across the hall and straight down the living room was Stephanie, sitting on the window sill by the open window. The sea breeze blew into the apartment, swirling around her dark green curtains. Stephanie spent all of the previous month redecorating her apartment in tranquil colors to make her apartment as calming as can possibly be; a lot of greens mostly. She even went as far as buying a feng shui book which she now sat reading in her oversized T-shirt and small black shorts, a cigarette in her free hand as the other held the book. Despite the fact that she looked as if she just crawled out of bed and began reading straight away, she still looked as gorgeous as she always looked to Madison. Her bright blonde hair flowed down her back to her waist and her eyes turned a dark shade of brown, almost black as she intently tried to understand what the Feng Shui book was trying to explain. Though her shirt was a few sizes to big on her, Madison knew that her figure was worthy of walking down the runway of a New York fashion show. She felt inferior around her, like an awestruck nymph staring up at her idol goddess, surrounded in a cloud of smoke .

         “Is that book helpful at all?” Madison asked, sitting down on the couch across from where she sat.

         “I think I’m getting a headache trying to understand this wording,” she said, as she stood up and walked over to a small table where a long vase with a single yellow tulip stood. She placed the book open on the top and extinguished her cigarette on it. “I feel relieved now. That book needed to die.” She strolled over and took a seat on the opposite side of the couch beside Madison. She brought her knee up to rest her chin on as she let her arms lay crossed above her toes. “So what was it you wanted to talk about?

         “Well...where to begin,” said Madison. It sounded more like a mumbled sentence then a normally spoken one.                    

         “Madison. This is me that you’re talking to. I’m twenty eight. My clock is ticking. You don’t need to beat around the bush,” she said, with a chuckle.

         Madison giggled in reply. Stephanie always knew the right thing to say at the right time.  After Stephanie made her laugh, Madison loosened up a bit.

         “Well I think this will explain it a lot better,” she said, reaching in her pocket and handing over the scholarship papers to her.

         Stephanie quickly scanned the sheets in a few seconds before throwing them over on the table, next to the burnt book.

         “I see your problem now,” she said.

         “I hope you’re not offended by me asking you. I know there are more experienced people out there that would be better then me but, if there’s anyway or any other option you can offer me, I would really appreciate it.”

         “Madison, you really don’t like asking favors huh?” said Stephanie, getting up from her seat and strolling back towards the window. “You know, I like giving people fair chances. Relax.”

         She reached into the pocket of her shorts and pulled out a pack of Capri Ultra Lights cigarettes. She pulled one cigarette out and popped it in her lips. She lit the cigarette and blew out a puff of white smoke as she said,” Well since you insist, I have a bit of a small proposition for you. So let’s make a deal.”
© Copyright 2007 §♥§Alice-Apple§♥§ (nighthazeex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1287151-Melody-Of-Words