*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288186-Imrama-Pt-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1288186
Epilogue to Pt. 1
The King of Airuh was old now. He had eventually married one of the ladies from Boudicca, who bore him three sons and two daughters. His kingdom prospered, peace and unity spread throughout the land, fulfilling the Legend of Deagol. And yet, the king was never truly happy. It was said he constantly watched the eastern shore, and every night, would skim the waters to see if Elizabeth would come back.
And now the king was dying. Old age drew upon him like a heavy, woolen blanket. His oldest son was ready to receive the crown. Edward, King of Airuh, Uniter of the People, lay in his bed, waiting for death to come and claim his soul.
Then, one night as the kingdom slept waiting for his death, a lone light appeared out from the mist on the water. The closer it came, the brighter the light. When the boat finally rested on shore, the passenger stood up and stepped off. It was wearing a long cloak, the color of snow. Pausing before stepping closer, the person drew back the hood. A woman’s face appeared. People drew closer together, making a passage to the castle as she walked by. Her skin was as white as snow and her blonde hair flowed down the back of her cloak, with a sliver crown resting gently on her head.
Entering from the front of the castle, she made her way to the Great Hall, where the High Prince of Airuh sat on his father’s throne, awaiting the inevitable. When he spotted her, his jaw fell and he dropped to the floor in disbelief.
“I thought you were a myth,” he whispered, breathlessly. “A myth my father made up. Elfin kind have not been seen in Airuh since he became king!” He seemed lost for any words, as she passed him silently, only the sounds of waves crashing the beach, filled the room. Earendel smiled slightly and walked toward the old king’s chamber door and entered. Edward, laying in bed, seemed to already know who it was.
“Why, look whose come to visit me now, after all these years.” Edward called out, his voice dry as his breath wheezed out of his lungs.
“Hello Edward, King of Airuh.” Elizabeth smiled and bowed. Edward saw this and began to chuckle a little, earning him a fit of coughs.
“I’ve missed you,” his eyes opened to gaze upon her immortal body.
“And I, you,” her eyes held the sadness and pain of his soon death; her voice just above a whisper.
“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving! You didn’t even say goodbye in person!” He scowled at her, his eyes giving off a humorous glow, which soon turned dark. His breath began to slow and he closed his eyes. ELizabeth knelt down to her old friend. His hand were cold, but she grasped them any ways. “I’m sorry Earendel...Elizabeth...I love-” he spoke slowly, with a painful tone in his voice.
“Shhh...everything will be all right,” she told the dying man. She smoothed his hair down and saw a tear stream down his cheek. She leaned forward and kissed his brow gently. “Goodbye.”
His breath slowed, faded out, and, looking down at his face, died with a smile on his face. Earendel stood up and walked away quietly, never to return to Airuh again.

© Copyright 2007 Lila Vey (mcdanielsk09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288186-Imrama-Pt-2