*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288774-People-are-Amusing
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Biglew
Rated: E · Editorial · Other · #1288774
This was an assignment I submitted in a writing course.
I like to people-watch. You can find a veritable wellspring of people in many places. Almost anywhere can provide a plethora of opportunities for entertainment and inspiration. Restaurants are good for watching families and friends interact while malls and other shopping centers provide good eye-candy for men AND women. But during the course of my people-watching career, I have determined that, although there are many people-watching opportunities, the best places to get the most out of this very educational activity are waiting rooms. Perhaps the richest sources are doctors’ offices and hospitals. Many life stories are traded between these walls.
The white haired, aged but strongly built man said, “I used to own a trucking company…till I got sued for 1.2 million dollars. My driver was killed but the other guy said he couldn’t perform sexually anymore. And the damn jury gave him 1.2 million dollars of my money.” He was talking to another, older man but we could all hear. Both are veterans, one Marine and one Navy.
“You gonna make some more coffee?” asks a hawkish looking woman. The volunteer lady says yes. Hawkish lady looks like she either is or was a school teacher… probably third or fourth grade. She has that severe look that makes children think she’s mean. However, when she smiles, her caring and loving nature shows. She seems nervous or worried. She’s here to see the breast cancer doctor.
A black man just walked past the waiting room. He looks scared. I wonder if he’s here for himself or a loved one. He has that look that makes me think he’s a happy person, even a joker, any other time. He’s probably a retired or nearly retired warehouse worker. He wears comfortable khaki clothes.
“I like your shirt” a sixtyish lady tells me. I’m wearing a t-shirt with the caption “Home of the free because of the brave” with the military branches logos under it. I then get to hear about how her husband served in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. He died of Agent Orange. Love and memories are in her tearful eyes as she walks away. He’s only been gone for six years.
A salesman on his cell phone distracts everyone in the room. He’s either got a poor signal or poor sense. His conversation lets us know he’s a medical supply salesman (big surprise). It seems the hospital does not take seriously the need to keep a stock of basic necessary items. Maybe he would feel differently if he had gotten to his appointment on time. Several other salesmen have been coming and
going with a smile on their lips and “Cha-ching” in their eyes. Maybe he should try insurance.
I wonder if the young man in the corner will be able to hear when they call him. He’s playing a video game on his PSP and the music from his earphones can be heard all the way across the room.
A young couple just sat down in the seats across from me. No rings on their fingers so they aren’t married. But they look a little alike. They must be brother and
sister. She’s on the verge of tears and he’s trying to cheer her up. As the room quiets down their whispers can be heard. Her dad had a heart attack. Their mom is upstairs with him in ICU. Apparently they get their looks from Mom.
The elderly man wearing a blue ball cap, white shirt, gray pants held up with suspenders, and comfortable shoes is very quiet. I think he hears everything going on in here. A small smile frames his mouth and his eyes roll back a bit about the same time mine do. He’s listening to all the stories, too. His eyes look sad. I wonder what all they’ve seen.
It’s almost lunchtime and there are many hospital workers going toward the food court. It’s clear we in the waiting become agitated and anxious about this exodus. We all had pre-lunch appointments, lunch plans, and after lunch schedules. If these people are the ones we need to see, and they are going to lunch leaving us to await their return, the sick, lame, and lazy may rise up in rebellion led by walkers, wheelchairs, and blue-hairs. I hope the crash team is standing by.
Three more people are called. Rebellion averted. Now, it’s just two others and me. All three of us are waiting on someone or, maybe we three are doing the same thing…observing people. I wonder what they are thinking about me.


© Copyright 2007 Biglew (biglew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288774-People-are-Amusing