*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288797-How-much-sleep-do-we-really-need
Rated: ASR · Essay · Educational · #1288797
Can we avoid sleep for a few days?
How much sleep do we really need?


Most people would like nothing better than going to bed at night and immedietly sink into a state of deep sleep, and to wake up full of energy in the morning. This indefinable energy and the amount needed differs enormously between us, but six to eight hours of good night sleep should normally do the trick and supply us with enough 'power' to go through the second -work, and the third - play parts of the day.

Unfortunetly for many of us, but fortunetly for pharmaceutical companies, it doesn't always go as smooth as we like it to go. A lot of people don't sleep as long or as deep as they would like, and as a result do not have sufficient amount of concentration, livelihood or physical&mental energy they would like to have, in order to perform and do their best in our ever increasingly demanding modern society.

In his article ' From A to Zzzzz ' , The Economist - summer 2006
Ben Mclannahan first describes the introduction of a new drug, the CX717
by a pharmaceutical company from California.
The drug would allow you to stay awake for 36 hours and to be in good mental&physical condition during the time and that without the side effects of caffeine or amphetamines.
This promising drug (approved but not yet on the market)
is one of few futuristic drugs which will allow man to work more and sleep
less. Than follows a short review of what he calls:
' The culture of long hours at work and the 24-hours availability',
and few related scientific comments on the subject of :
' How much sleep do we really need ' and concludes that no one really knows how much time we should spend in bed, as long as we feel fresh and ready in the morning.


All through Human history - we are fascinated by sleep.
Why do we sleep? how do we sleep? how to improve sleep etc.
Science knows today much more on the subject of brain waves, REM (rapid eye movement) and other sleep related issues.
Research shows that how you spend your day, what you eat and your ability to function Socially and professionally and to avoid stress are important for you, and for a good night rest.
Drugs like CX717 could be useful at times but can not replace the magnificent role sleep plays in our lives. Sweet dreams.
© Copyright 2007 Josef Firestone (firestone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288797-How-much-sleep-do-we-really-need