*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289106-A-Debt-to-Pay----Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1289106
A magician has it all, until time runs out and he has to repay his debt. Please review
Chapter 1

Murmurs of excitement filled the concert hall as the lights dimmed to make ready for the show to begin. Once the house lights had been doused, the stage lights came on, illuminating a red curtain and a single mic-stand. A tall man with cleanly cut black hair wearing a scarlet red suit walked out in front of the audience from stage-right. Reaching the microphone he said into it, “Hello, and welcome to tonight’s performance. I would ask that you turn your cell-phones off, and remind you that no flash photography is permitted during the show. Also if you could…” His voice was drowned out by the many people hastily turning off their phones, and other disappointed would-be photographers putting away their cameras.

After all was settled the man clothed in scarlet spoke again. “Now my good people prepare yourselves for the amazing, the mystifying, the magical, John Kingsley!” The crowd erupted into applause and cheers and the man introducing their entertainment for the night walked off stage. The stage lights went off and were soon replaced by red, blue, and yellow lights that began to dance on the curtain. Though dramatic music played, it was drowned out by the applause and cheers of the audience.

‘Damn this kid’s got some fans,’ thought a man in the fourth row from the stage. ‘But I guess with all the idiots in this world he should be able to draw some of them.’ He was dressed in black suit, over which he wore a long black jacket that covered the whole of his body. He had dull brown eyes that seemed to be filled with wisdom and knowledge, though he looked no older then 30. His long dirty-blonde hair rested on his shoulders, though when standing it reached to the middle of his back. ‘Come on get on with it, I got better stuff to do.’

Out of nowhere there was a blinding flash that lit up the hall. After a second, the light was gone and a man dressed in a white tuxedo with a white top hat had appeared on stage. The crowd cheered as he raised his hands in acceptance, seeming to enjoy their attention. “Greetings!” he said while removing the wire-less microphone from its stand and stepping back through the gap in the steadily opening curtains. “And welcome to the greatest magic show in the world! I am your guide on this magical journey, John Kingsley.” He bowed and removed his top hat, which he showed the inside of to the crowd. Then turning his hat sideways toward stage-left he taped it with his hand a dove flew out. The audience applauded as he put out a finger and the dove landed on it. Then taking his other hand he cupped the dove and made to throw it off stage. Upon release there was no bird but a handful of confetti that flew into the crowd.

****

‘My God this is boring,’ thought the man in the 4th row 2 hours later. ‘Finally it’s the finale; I’m almost free from this torture.’

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I regret to inform you that this is the final magical feat of tonight's show,” said John the magician. “I am in need of a volunteer for this next trick.” Hundreds of hands shot up and a wave of pick-me’s washed over the crowd. “You my dear.” A beautiful blond woman who couldn’t have been older than twenty stood and followed one of John’s assistants to the stage. Upon arrival her name was asked and it was revealed to be Jessica.

John had Jessica stand inside a box that he had had another audience member move to anywhere he wanted earlier, as to deter the thought of a hidden trap door. Then after closing the box, John closed his eyes in deep concentration. The stage was bathed in blue light as john bowed his head and seemed to be muttering magic words under his breath. Suddenly John opened his eyes, raised his head, and snapped his fingers. The box burst into flames and the audience gasped in horror.

The box burned a bright red for a minute before collapsing in on itself. At this John clapped his hands and the flames disappeared. The audience was in shock at what had transpired. “No need to worry,” said John as he picked up a white sheet and threw it over top a wooden-chair. “She’s right here!” And pulling the sheet off the chair, the audience saw the blond woman sitting in it. The crowd cheered with more enthusiasm then ever. John made one last bow and then left the stage.

The house lights came on and the darkly dressed man sighed in relief. Standing, he struggled past the people talking about the show who were still seated. Reaching the aisle he turned and walked briskly towards the exit. Throwing open the doors he passed over the threshold of the concert hall and entered the casino of the hotel. ‘Finally, I thought I was going to die,’ he chuckled to himself then set off toward the hotels front entrance, getting lost among the slot machines and the drunken gamblers along the way. He reached his destination as people began to pour out of the concert hall, still talking about the show.

Scowling, the darkly dressed man exited the hotel/casino and started to walk down the strip. ‘This Las Vegas isn’t as good as they say, but it sure does have its pleasures,’ he thought as he made is way past a red Ferrari that had a big sign next to it saying “Win Me!” He unexpectedly turned and walked down a dark, abandoned side alley. He stopped by an old dumpster and leaned against it. Turning to the brick wall on his right, he began to outline shapes and signs on it with his finger. “Open” he said, taking his finger from the wall. Immediately a white square was outlined on the wall with its center was fuzzy like a broken TV. The fuzz was soon replaced by the pockmarked face of a man surrounded by darkness.

“Yes?”
“I have located the target, though it was quite annoying and painful,” replied the man with distaste.
“Just get the job done and you can go back quickly,” said the voice in return.
“Yeah I know.” The man wiped the wall clean and looked up at the dark sky. ‘It’s gonna be one long ass day tomorrow.’
© Copyright 2007 Freebird (freebird99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289106-A-Debt-to-Pay----Chapter-1