*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1290577-The-Find
by Portal
Rated: E · Poetry · Writing · #1290577
A good Find.
The Find

  I found something in a box today. The box was high in a closet I had not opened in an unknown number of years. Carefully I opened the box and reached in, it was delicate and covered in dust. At first I did not know what it was, it had been too long since I’d last seen it. I blew the dust off and held it up to the light; my innocence.
 
  It was tarnished and had been abused in my youth. The shine had long past. I looked at it for a long time. Memories of it raced through my head. When I was very young I never even noticed its luster. I took it for granitite and never paid attention to it. But looking back I remember it fondly.
 
  I would play in open fields near my home and chase the flying bugs through the air. The wind held only promise of cool afternoons and the moon was always within my grasp.

  As I grew older I began to resent it. It became a symbol of my inexperience. Showing it only meant exposing my naivety to those around me. It became a beacon of shame; the bonfire of humiliation. I threw it away as soon as I could.
 
  Now I wish I could have held fast to it. Never letting it go. Enjoying every time it would shine. Bringing it out for all to see and hoisting it as my flag.
   
  But those times are past or never to be had. I looked at it then, withered in comparison to its once great glory. Saddened I placed it back into the crumbling box and put it back onto the dusty old shelf. I closed the door to the old closet and placed a sign upon it reading in bold red letters, DO NOT OPEN, for all to see. A warning to all others who try to hide them but know well of their regrets.
© Copyright 2007 Portal (floyd1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1290577-The-Find