*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1291839-A-New-Years-Resolution
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by bibi
Rated: · Short Story · Self Help · #1291839
A journey within
What is a New Year’s Resolution?

Why is it that we need a certain date or time of the year to change something in our lives?

We should be able to alter our routine, change our lifestyle and take stock of our lives, when the need arises, with such spontaneity that our feet don’t touch the ground, for a little while anyway.

Life is all about living. We all need to feel alive, and kicking, a bounce in our step and a twinkle in our eyes, is what keeps the brain ticking and the heart pumping with passion.

We are all responsible for our negative thoughts, we can ignore them and live in a rut of existence or we can choose to feel alive. A simple positive thought or action is sometimes all that it takes to make a difference.

When we think that life is not dealing us a good card, or life is not fair, just or right, we can always find comfort in knowing our growth through life is far more complex then we can ever imagine or even comprehend.

The heart is our true companion, for it never lies it simply beckons us to follow what we feel, for from this we will gain great strength, insight and love.

Our courage lies within the heart, not the head. How can logic manifest itself without feelings?

I myself struggle with my feelings and work hard at staying positive about certain situations and what they all mean. Even when I feel that my emotions are in turmoil, I try to stay true to myself in the hope that someday I will understand and gain continued growth within.

Being a very private person and a deep thinker, it is not easy opening up to people or talking about myself. I could carry on from there, even though it makes me feel vulnerable and I realise that I would be showing my hand. When you step out from behind your defences, you are exposed.

However, vulnerability can be good. When you are soft and gentle, it is easier to connect with people, to get to know them, and to learn from them, and they will find it easier to connect with you.


To walk around with a suit of armour means you are playing it safe. But there is a problem with that. A suit of armour protects you, by containing you. You can only grow so much, and then you have to get out of your armour, if you want to grow any further.

In life, I have come to learn that understanding people comes with the ability to always allow them an escape hatch. Leaving people with their self esteem intact, means you care. Letting the ego rule for self gratification, cannot be healthy.
We should show respect for others, and always try to be kind in word. Communicate and explain our cause, and let the opinion of others matter.

If I had a New Year’s Resolution (I’d rather call it a continuation of my journey) it would be to let more people into my life.

Come on in folks, it’s quite empty no one but independence has been in here for years. You might have to light a candle and brush away the cobwebs.

Now to your left, are a few dark secrets. They may be deep rooted so give them a good yank and set them free. Listen to them without comment. Keep questions for later.

We need to keep moving, as there is a lot to see and cover. On the right, we have misunderstanding mine and my family’s with some sprinkle of regret or loss. Plant a few seeds on that one and give it some water.

You will see the lump of hurt coming up, don’t fall over it. Just flatten it with your shoe and keep forging on. Toward the middle, is some confusion, created by the left and right side of my brain fusing together. Detonate it with determination.

In the very centre, is lots of love for you and me. Bathe in it, wipe yourself off with it, but please leave some of it behind, for it’s not easy to find and retain.

As we head north, we pass a rocky road of guilt, close your eyes and let it pass, for up a bit further is a paddock of confidence that awaits your arrival. Stop for lunch and have a feast.

You will need a shot of honesty as the journey continues. Let it consume you with truth and fulfilment.

The trek is getting harder to endure; our pace is slower and more physical, impatience has set in. Give it a couple of slaps, put your head up and soldier on.

As we get to the end of our tour, we find, on the horizon a tent of hope. Adopt it as your own for it is yours to keep.

I only hope that one day my courage helps me to accept and improve who I am. The fear of being self absorbed lingers, creating inaccessibility to giving, these are my greatest enemies. 

When you pass them on your way out, maybe you could have a talk to them. They may listen to you. Let them know that it is my immense wish to be rid of them. I am ready to bargain. My only problem is that my true insight still eludes me and reason is on holiday.

Thanks for stopping by, maybe we could do this again next year. We are all on the treadmill of survival, ignoring the joys of evolution, which could only come from taking the time to know and accept who we are. I don’t want that to continue to happen to me any longer.

It was the poet Yeats who said, “The only journey worth taking is the journey within”.

What is your New Year’s Resolution?
                                                       
© Copyright 2007 bibi (frenchy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1291839-A-New-Years-Resolution