*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1292386-Calm-After-The-Storm
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1292386
Jen finds beauty and calm in what first seems to be a frightening storm.
CALM AFTER THE STORM







“I love the colors of autumn,” I thought as Davie and I walked along the tree lined dirt road. We had gone on an outing to the apple orchard with the church youth group. It was a trip that we went on every fall and I always looked forward to it. Nothing else could compare to the sweet taste of a Golden Delicious apple plucked right off the branch or the almost intoxicating aroma of fresh cider. “I think autumn in Michigan is the best time of year. When I grow up, if I move away, I’ll always come back during autumn.”

After the trip, I talked Pastor Jack into dropping my little brother Davie and me off at Cedars Edge instead of taking us back to the church for Dad to pick us up. It was a mile and a half walk home, but we would pass Mr. McDaniel’s farm. Mrs. McDaniel made great pastries and with it being the beginning of apple season I was almost positive that there would be a freshly baked pie for us to sink our teeth into.

“Snap out of it Jen! Walk faster ‘cause it looks like a storm’s comin’.”

“What?” I had almost forgotten that Davie was with me.

“I said, a storm’s comin’!”

I looked up at the sky and could see a storm cloud moving in our direction. I had been dilly dallying, but after seeing the storm cloud my pace quickened.

Suddenly the wind gushed through the trees and the leaves skated across the ground. “Let’s run! I don’t want to be stuck out here!”

I could sense that Davie was getting scared; he never had liked storms while I, on the other hand loved them. I like the way the air smells right before a good rain and the way the wind rustles through the trees. “We’ll be fine, just pick up the pace.”

“My arms are getting tired. We should ditch the apples and run.”

I had suggested that we take home some of the apples we gathered at the orchard, but now I was beginning to regret that decision. “OK, just sit them under this tree. We can come back for them after the storm passes.” As soon as those words escaped my lips the wind howled and became even more forceful. Now was a good time to put into practice Davies’s earlier advice, so I shouted, “run!”

“Hey Jen, how ‘bout we cut across Mr. McDaniel’s field? It’s a short cut and we’ll make it home faster.”

Like lightening we sped down Cedars Edge until we had the McDaniel farm in sight. As we stopped to catch our breath we heard someone calling in the distance. Just then Giggles and Taffy, the McDaniel’s pets raced past Davie and me through the l field grass. “I think that’s Mr. McDaniel callin’.” Davie soared past me making his way across the field. I followed as quickly as possible.

“Jen, Davie. What are you kids doing out here? Get inside and quick!” Just as Mr. McDaniel ordered us inside the barn I heard a loud crack followed by a snap. I turned just in time to see lightening split a tree right down the middle. It was magnificent.

“Wow!” I said aloud as my pace slowed.

“Jen, this is no time for dilly dallying.” Mr. McDaniel stood in the barn’s entrance franticly waving me in his direction.

As if on queue, the rain began to pour out of the sky as soon as I reached the barn. Davie was proud of the fact that it was his idea to take the shortcut through the field. “Told ya we’d never make it home.”

Mr. McDaniel told us to make ourselves as comfortable as possible as we waited out the storm. “Make sure to stay away from the window in the loft. It’s not very safe with the wind gushing around like that. The window could break.”

I didn’t heed his warning, but scooted as close to the window as possible. The view was breathtaking. Even with the rumbling thunder and the crash of lightening it felt safe and peaceful inside the barn.

I was fixed at the window for about an hour when the storm began to subside. Mr. McDaniel opened the barn door and in a raspy voice yelled, “All clear!”

“Wha whooo!” Davie yelled as he pushed past me and landed into the first puddle he could find. It was beautiful out. The water glistened on the trees and the puddles were like little mirrors. Everything was still and peaceful.

“Why don’t I give you two a lift home? Your parents must be worried?”

I wasn’t ready to leave yet. “Could we have some pie first?” I had a feeling Mrs. McDaniel had baked pie.

“Sure thing. Let’s go.” As Mr. McDaniel, Davie and I walked up to the house, I smiled to myself, as I took notice of the calm that was left after the storm.


         
© Copyright 2007 Karla Bitten (kaycutie1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1292386-Calm-After-The-Storm