*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1293534-A-Black-President
Rated: ASR · Article · Educational · #1293534
This is my opinion on the whole "Black President" thing.
I believe that a Black president is somewhat of an achievement in the Afro-American culture, I don't think it should require this Rick James-like celebration (I miss Chappelle's Show).  Remember, the Civil Rights Act was a compromise, but it wasn't the main goal for the Civil Rights Movement--equality not integration was the goal.  The majority, or as my man Flavor Flav would say, the "powers that be" took the lesser of two evils--in their eyes.  Instead of giving into Malcolm X and the Black Panther Party's demands, they heeded to Asa Philip Randolph, Martin Luther King, and the NAACP's demands.  Had this not have happened, history may have changed.  The Pan-Africa movement may have come to fruition (similar to the mental state that Nas' character had in the movie, "Belly."  Or, for that matter, a war of races.  Who knows?  But I'm digressing.
        Barack Obama, for now, is the best candidate to be the most powerful man in the free world, but I maintain that he should not rush into the Presidency.  I also maintain that the first Black President will be assassinated, or there will at least be an attempt on his life.  Like Ron Brown, El-Hajj Malik Shabazz and even Tupac Shakur, African-American leaders who inspire people of color to think independently are arguably more powerful than George W. and his predecessors.  The spoken word is the most powerful force in the universe (see: Black preachers, Biggie, and Muhammad Ali).  The worse thing that could happen to White America is the unification of people of color.  After all, why do you think that there are far fewer lynchings and other violent crimes?  Because those types of things would bring us together.  Instead, the "man" is using other means--materialistic things (bling, cars, women) and music to divide us and poison our minds.  There's a reason why most of the songs on the radio sound the same.  But again, I'm digressing (by the way, who came up with, "the man???").
        With that said, I believe Condoleeza (or Condy as her boss calls her) Rice will be elected BEFORE Obama, mainly because of my point about independent thinkers in the previous paragraph, but also because I think our people aren't quite ready for that sort of change.  We may discuss it, but our minds couldn't handle a non-Aryan leader of the country that wants to get things done.  Why? I don't have the answer for that yet.  It could be what we believe--that the previous generation needs to step aside in order for our generations to take our rightful place.  I do have questions, though.  Would that person be in office long enough to make change, or at least inspire the brain that could make that change?  Would the "oppressed" even be knowledgeable enough to even recognize that we need to move forward as a people?  In today's society, being different is weird, having your own opinion is wrong, and being ignorant is cool.  The last clause is the one that bothers me the most, because minorities are starting to accept the state of our people.  But whatever the matter, if either Obama or Rice gets elected, I won't cheer until I see change.  But it will be a celebration!!!
© Copyright 2007 Johnathan Tillman (jtillman45 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1293534-A-Black-President