*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1294248-paranoia
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by donnie
Rated: · Other · Environment · #1294248
isolation breeds contempt
Thoughts on claustrophobia. Am I a sufferer? Simply opening you eyes to the world shows, in no uncertain terms, that there are too many people. Our society has become painfully overcrowded, giant cities packed, streets choked, the anthill, becoming ever more insular. With such hectic activity on every side, every day, you begin to ignore it – but the effect it has on you is still evident. It is difficult to think clearly on and devote time to social connections when you are pressured with so many meaningless ones. Hence, extremes of behaviour become regular – or you are simply an unnoticed nothing. You must have some peace, to think, of yourself and the world. You could have a thousand social links, all of them meaningless, or and dozen a live a real life. Events and feelings have more meaning in smaller groups. In the mass we live in with so many empty faces you will never know, every word and action loses value. You walked down a street today, and brushed against a hundred people, spoke to none, avoided their eyes, stood silently beside them waiting on traffic, passed a beggar and like a thousand others shook your head in disgust. In a city of 1000, not 100,000 that beggar would be helped, and you would be helping him. You would be different. I know this is so naïve, what can we do, cull millions on a belief? Well, it seems to be happening all the time. There is too much pressure, dirty heat rising between concrete walls, this is not natural, this is not evolution It is backward, sinking back into the mud. We have stopped evolving. I have no answers, but I know what we have now is no answer itself. And so do you. So do millions. A dozen things you see every day and think of as advancement are poisons - you are born into this slow death, birth certificates stamped “cancer” 60 years in advance. If you think this is bleak then remember, this is the reality you are accepting. We have forgotten, it seems, that we should make our own lives, too many decisions are being made for us, the human mass production system. That we should drink coffee in the morning, alcohol when we have fun. Caffeine, nicotine, alcohol. Mobile phones and micro-waved food. Processed sugars, drinks and foods. Car fumes. Vaccinations. Treated water. Tinned foods. Additives. Antibiotics. Drugs. STDs become rife the more packed and interbred the population becomes. Chemicals in the air. Bleach residues on everyday surfaces. Artificial light. Hairspray in your lungs, skin and beauty products. Computer and television screens. If we had more space and time in our lives we would think about these things, question them. These are all advancements, but when do the little drawbacks begin to sting? Stress. Fear. Anxiety. Claustraphobia. Cancer, where the body turns on itself, involuntary suicide. Welcome to the brave new world, it wasn’t built to last.
© Copyright 2007 donnie (donniem at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1294248-paranoia