*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1295587-Then-Only-Two
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1295587
short story
All that is left is the scar, she said with a smile. It was smaller than she thought it would be.
He did not let her disrupt the study of his shoes.
Look at me, she said sweetly. He did.
She had beautiful eyes. He always told her about them.
You have such pretty eyes. He said.
Oh stop, she chuckled.
You do, if it weren’t for those eyes this might have never happened. He said, tightening his grip on her hand. He wasn’t sure how she would respond to that comment.
Ok thanks. Just my eyes? She said trying to pull her hand from his grip with a smile on her face.
You know I love you he said, placing his hand affectionately on her back as she walked through the door he held open for her. It was dark, the stars were bright, the sounds of the city at night filled the air. They walked hastily toward his car. They split when they got there, and all he could see was her beautiful brown hair over the roof. Reunited he looked into her eyes.
You okay?
Yeah.
Sure? he questioned.
She leaned over and turned the key in the ignition.
Its a beautiful night, she said
He grabbed her face. They kissed. She pulled away.
When you gunna shave boy? she said laughing.
With the window down and the radio on he drove toward her house.
Are you taking me home? she asked.
No.
You’re going toward my house.
Want to get a movie?
She smiled and nodded her head.
They drove.
What are we going to see?
I’m bad at picking out movies. You pick. I don’t even like movies.
The struggle lasted much longer than usual. He loved to please her and she loved to please him. This always seemed to be the problem.
Are we watching it at my house or yours? She asked.
Your call.
I picked the movie.
He chose his house, it was a bit more convenient. She didn’t want to go back to her house anyway.
It stopped raining, she said opening the door.
It hasn’t been raining all day.
I know. I just didn’t want to jinx it.
You’re silly. He laughed
They assumed their usual positions on the couch.
This better be good, he said with his finger in her face.
Oh stop that, she smiled and pushed him away. He smiled faintly and laughed.
Popcorn?
He left her on the couch alone. Only the smell of popcorn filled the void. The pair quietly finished the night. She loved it. When he dropped her off she hated, especially now, to be alone.
I hate to be alone, she said searching through her purse for her keys.
You’ve been living alone for a while, you’ve never said anything before.
She fumbled with her keys.
choked back a tear.
She did not want him to see her cry.
He is fragile, walking the tightrope of stability, above a crowd of awed children and their smiling parents, waiting for the slightest wind to knock him to the ground.
I love you.
Another tear attempted to break free. She was strong.
You’ll be fine tonight, if you need me call me.
Stay with me tonight.
She was using all she had to control the sobs inside her. She looked into his eyes.
Just tonight, I hate to be alone.
Sure, sure.
They made themselves cozy in a twin bed with his arms around her. The levees broke and tears saturated her cheeks. He was asleep. Peaceful. Content. His mind filled with dreams.
She slid her hand over her belly, fingering the scar. He must be in a beautiful place tonight, she thought.
She was alone on a bed in a room in a building that doesn’t even affect the skyline of the city. She was scared. She closed her eyes waiting for sleep to accompany her, and it wouldn’t for a while.
She lay alone in his arms.
He is in a beautiful place, she thought.
I will meet him there soon.
© Copyright 2007 swinton (swinton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1295587-Then-Only-Two