*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1297040-Divinity--Legend-PG50
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1297040
Science Fiction - Conflict of Faith and Differences
GREAT SACRIFICES

[Isabelle and Sharlet take shelter in the cavern cut out of the cliff lining the river bed below; sounds of battle – yelling, metal banging metal can be heard around them; the cavern acts as a perfect conductor. Isabelle and Sharlet raise their head up listening to violent exchanges above them. Isabelle walks to the cavern opening and peeks out; attempting to glimpse the soldiers. Sharlet momentarily breaks her concentration on the sounds and looks over at Isabelle; before she knows it she finds herself starring. Isabelle catches her and looks plainly at her; Sharlet appearing embarrassed turns away]

Sharlet [Starring at the ground] – Why did you save me?
Isabelle – Let’s say we share a mutual friend?
[Sharlet walks towards Isabelle while giving her an inquisitive look; Isabelle initially appears apprehensive and her body tenses up]
Sharlet [Pointing to her wings] – They are real!
Isabelle – Yes.
Sharlet – I don’t understand… Where do you come from?
Isabelle – My people?
Sharlet – No, Where did YOU come from? There are so many stories one hears but YOUR real.
Isabelle – I grew up in this Kingdom. My father was one of them but I know little about him. My mother was one of you…but was killed when I was young.
Sharlet – She was killed! Why?
Isabelle – For choosing to bring a child like me into this world.
Sharlet – Who would do such a thing?
Isabelle – Kingdom soldiers, Princess.
Sharlet [Shamefully] – The on set of increased warring and has lead many soldiers to go astray. The monarchy does not condone such actions.
Isabelle – I’m sure that would have given my mother solace. Her alleged sin was punishable by death and yet there was never word of the soldiers receiving any reprimand from the King.
Sharlet – It is not my intention to dismiss the evil of the wrong that was done. Yet I believe in my people and a righteous future that God has planed for them. I will one day lead my people and must have faith in better things.
Isabelle – And as for me and my kind I suppose sin cannot be so easily forgiven. Sin that your people choose to define and then use God to justify.
Sharlet – What is it that you want from me? If you harbor so much hate why did you save me.
Isabelle – Hate and Love can sometimes be shared as one. [Isabelle sits down and appears to reflect. The cavern appears much quieter and the sounds of the soldiers fighting has moved off from a distance] Would you say that love can turn to hate when betrayal hardens the soul? Even now I do not have a clear answer. One part of me compels me to do one thing while the other part cries out for vengeance.
Sharlet – Why is your soul conflicted?
Isabelle – [Isabelle doe not answer and remains quiet for several seconds] – Tell me Princess. What is your feeling towards the soldier Jacob?
Sharlet – Who? (Knowing but uncertain of what Isabelle means by the question)
Isabelle – You know exactly whom I speak off.
Sharlet – Are mutual friend. (Stated with a surreal realization) Then you are Isabelle.
Isabelle – You know of me.
Sharlet – Yes. In many ways I do but (reflecting)…in other ways I guess I didn’t [Sharlet looks at Isabelle sympathetically] In more ways then one. I ask again what is it that you want from me?
Isabelle – Nothing that you can give me.
Sharlet – I can promise you this. I cannot change the pass sins of my people. But I plan to lead with fairness and character. I will not allow ignorance and fear to rule the hearts of my people.
Isabelle – I marvel in the confidence that you hold. How can you compel a nation not to hate? When I cannot compel one person to love.

© Copyright 2007 Santiago (santiago1978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1297040-Divinity--Legend-PG50