*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1297459-They-Wait
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1297459
Flash Fiction vignette, could one of them be waiting for you?
They Wait


Their chairs arranged tightly, the faded and torn umbrella supplying little respite from the blistering July sun, the morning coffee “klatch” met as usual.

The three of them, residents of the Sunny Rest Retirement Community nearly twelve years, a place they never called “home”.

Seemingly serenely, they sat sipping their coffee. The traffic along Memorial Drive holding their interest more than outward appearances suggested.

“I swear!” Pearl Billings, the eldest of the three, politely coughed into her napkin. “What on Earth was she thinking?.”

“Why, Pearl, who do you mean?” Rose Martin, the youngest at eighty-six, innocently inquired, the barest twinkle flashing in her eye.

“You know of whom I’m speaking well enough!” Pearl grumped, giving Rose a glare. “Margaret and that dreadful lime colored dress she wore at dinner last night!”

“Now, Pearl!” Rose, cautioned. “You know it really isn’t her fault, the poor thing is nearly blind as a bat.”

“Oh I know, I do feel somewhat sorry for the poor thing!” Pearl primly patted her lips. “But really, if the over-cooked broccoli hadn’t already turned my stomach, I do believe that dress would have done the trick!” The napkin, clutched in a fist gnarled with arthritis, patted her lips again.

Their attention momentarily piqued by the slowing of a blue Chevrolet sedan, the three of them leaned forward as one. Watching intently they saw the car resume down the street, when it finally passed, they all sat back in studied relaxation.

“I believe I will speak to Margaret this evening and offer my assistance.” Pearl continued. “Miss James confided in me this morning, tonight’s meal will include a lovely rice pudding. I want to take care not to spoil my appetite in such a case.”

“Oh, good.” Rose smiled. “Rice pudding would be such a nice change!”

Mabel Norman, quiet to this point, suddenly sat forward as a Maroon Ford station wagon slowed to a crawl in the street. The other two ladies, taking notice of the automobile, followed her example until it too finally passed, then they eased back into their chairs once again.

“Ahhh well.” Mabel sighed. “Another false alarm.”

Neither Rose nor Pearl had a comment. Though the daily morning coffee discussions could be varied and even spirited at times, the ladies seldom spoke about what was uppermost on their minds.

Often, dinner time conversation might include references to prosperous sons, well married daughters and precious grandchildren, but they rarely spoke of the prospects of actual visits while they sat outside having their coffee.

Dinner conversations, usually more show and for effect than realistic, allowed for more leeway. The patient waiting during the day time was real; there, they avoided revealing any obvious lies.

“That would be a good idea, Pearl.” Mabel nodded. “Margaret would probably be grateful for the assistance.”

“Oh yes.” Rose smiled. “A very good idea, Pearl. The poor thing does need all the help she can get. Just,...do try and be kind.”

“Of course I’ll be kind!” Pearl snapped. “The poor thing does need some help is all. I know she is relatively new here!”

As the sun moved higher in the sky, the three of them continued to sit patiently. Soon, it would be time to go inside for dinner. Tomorrow will be another day, another coffee “klatch”.

They will wait, they're quite used to that.
© Copyright 2007 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1297459-They-Wait