*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298770-How-to-Guide-for-High-School-Drop-outs
Rated: E · Other · Satire · #1298770
Guide to dropping out
Turn in your books, sign your release papers and you are on your way. Congratulations on being a high school drop out. Waking at six a.m. to catch a bus, being told when to eat lunch and use the bathroom isn't appealing to you anymore. You're ready to begin your new life. This small guide should be helpful through this new start.

Assuming you still live with your parents, you'll want to avoid the disappointment they are feeling. They'll eventually get over it. The first step is to get a job, fast food and retail won't cut it. You'll want to target jobs in manufacturing or landscaping as these provide long hours to keep you out of the house and your parents off your back. You will also want to save your money to move out as soon as possible, after all your an adult now and don't need to live by their rules.First lets discuss jobs.

Local newspaper classifieds or job listings is a good start. Look for jobs with headings such as "entry level", "laborer wanted", or "no experience necessary". These will usually provide quick results. Circle all possible jobs in pen, call and schedule interviews. Leave the circled classifieds where your parents can see it, this should keep them off your back while you look for work.Once you have found work these tips can be helpful.

Show up on time, which means you'll probably have to get up for six a.m. still, but at least you're getting paid for it. Pack your own lunch. Mom may be willing to do this for you, still feeling guilty for not trying harder to keep you in school. Avoid the lunch wagon they're expensive. Most will allow you to run a tab until weeks end, this could cost you up to forty five dollars.You're trying to save money remember. Unfortunately you'll still be told when to have lunch and for how long, but remember you're getting paid for it. Wait to wash up from work until you get home, coming home tired and dirty may produce a feeling of sympathy from your folks. This will buy you time until you get a place for yourself. Which we will talk about next.

Being on your own setting your own boundries thats what it's all about. Again look to your local classifieds for an apartment. You will need a security deposit to cover any damages that may ensue, usually one months rent. You will also need the first and last months rent as well, unless otherwise stated. Some apartments offer weekly rents, these are your best bets. You will be able to pay the rent on the day you get paid. Many of these are one room or studio apartments, but it's only you and it's a start. These are usually located in the downtown area's, shopping and bus routes are generally close. This is good if you don't have a car or can't afford gas or repairs. Also look for "All Utilities Included" this way you won't have to juggle multiple bills. After all you did take the easy road..

Now that you're settled in your own place, working eight to ten hours a day, I'll pass a few quick tips to you. Tuna, cup o' noodles soup, hamburger helper and hot dogs are some inexpensive ways to food shop. Peanut butter and jelly and bologna packs well for work, stock up on these items as they are your mainstay. If you get sick and call out of work, you probably won't be paid for it and will still have food in your home.

Clothes shopping, with the exception of undergarments, the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store offers clothing for pennies on the dollar. You should be able to put together a few ensambles to get you through. It's not like you're going to go anywhere fancy, right. You'll also find dishes, cups and utensils at a discounted rate. You'll also need a decent radio, with television broadcast signals disappearing and cable getting expensive you will need some type entertainment while you're home.

Well you have arrived, you are on your own. You work eight to ten hours a day to make ends meet.You decided you don't need anymore summer vacations, you lost all the friends you had at school. You can't afford a decent car or clothes. You struggle to pay the bills and are one paycheck away from moving back home with your folks. You have succesfully become a high school drop out. On the easy road to life. Congratulations!

Please subscribe to our newsletter where we will discuss other topics such as: Your neighbors cable; Is it really stealing? How to extend a disconnect notice two more weeks. Make your own laundry detergent from a bar of soap. How to safely light your home with candles, and our favorite Why you should have stayed in high school. Good luck.







© Copyright 2007 A.J. Garofalo (anthonyjoesph at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298770-How-to-Guide-for-High-School-Drop-outs