*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1299332-Conflicting-morals
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1299332
A short fantasy story with an unexpected revelation in its finale.
I make new friends easily. I don't really know how I do it, I simply come toward a complete stranger and after a while we talk - well, that is, he talks - about things he would probably prefer to keep for himself.

May be it's because of this ability that Commander decided to choose me. Commander... Great man. Wise, couragous, patient...

Yesterday we finally reached the town. Right after the lunch the Commander sent me to "sniff", as he calls it. I don't object against that expression - it's not what he says, it's the respect I sense in his voice when he gives that order. And respect, that I hear in his voice loud and clear. The Commander is bright-minded, while I hear every whisper.

I came back after sunset with good idea of the town's locations and having made some new friends that will tell me in the morning if they see something.

The Commander took me to a dinner. While we were hungrily filling our starving stomachs, the door opened and She entered the inn. My heart stopped - she was beautiful! Unable to eat I just stared at her. From her every move a grace was felt, which, along with the pride in her expression and the way she held her body, could only mean one thing - she was noble. With sadness, I looked over my body - dark spots on the skin, dozens of scars, one of the mob. I swore that if there was anything I could do for her - anything that would make her look at me for a little while, I'd gladly do it. For her, the beautiful, the noble.

Later that night, the Commander was trying to explain his plan to me, but I couldn't understand it. But I didn't really care - the Commander knew I wasn't the brightest one and in the past he always reminded me what to do exactly. We went to sleep.

The next day was tiresome. We were rushing through the town, together inquiring plenty of people; I caused a lot of pain and dodged many a strike... It was tiring, but at the same time exciting - we knew we were getting close. And then, right before sunset, a beggar gave up under the Commander's questioning and told us what we needed to hear at last. As a reward, the Commander cut off his head.

****

We're in a forest - the one where our enemy hides. I know whom to look for - we've learnt enough from the beggar. The Commander sent me deep into the forest with several hired hunters, meanwhile preparing some more complex part of the plan at the forest's edge.

What's happening?! Oh, the cowards! The other hunters who went with me say they can't go further. That they are scared. Ah, to hell with them! Get out! But don't think you'll get anything from the reward, you cowards! I'll go on alone!

I see something moving behind the bush - gotta shout loudly so that the Commander hears me and makes haste hereto. "Hey! Here! I found him! Hurry!" Good, that would be it, and now all I have to do is prohibit the enemy from fleeing the other side!

I run around the bush and -

- oh! My lady?! What are you doing here?
She's standing right before me, as noble as that evening in the inn, but this time she gifts me with a look, and not a short one. She looks me right in the eyes. But what shall I do now? I've got my orders from the Commander, but the laws of my ancestors are clear: Under any circumstance we have to protect our noble ones.

I hear the Commander and his helpers getting closer. Soon they will be here... And She looks at me... My head starts aching, as the two contradicting orders argue in it... Apprehend-Protect-Enemy-Noble-TooDangerous-TheBestOfUs.

She proudly takes a step towards me... and I backened - at the very same moment that the Commander's head appeared over a terrain wave and he saw us. He saw it! He saw that I let her walk around me. But I couldn't do otherwise! She's noble!

Her walk turns into a run - even her running is gracious... And with the same grace she falls to the ground, hit by the one lucky out of dozens of released arrows.

Without moving, I stand there and wait. The Commander comes to me and shouts at me with anger. I don't really know the meaning of th words he curses me with. I try to explain that the codes my parents taught me when I was young prohibit me from endangering a noble one, but he doesn't understnad. He kicks me off ballance and I fall to the ground, humbly. Let's finish this - I failed him.

A sword drawn... An arm raised... And a strong pain in my side.

My life seems to fly in images before my eyes - backwards... The last image that I see is the breasts of my mother... and my six puppy siblings, drinking from them...
© Copyright 2007 Alcator (alcator at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1299332-Conflicting-morals