*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1299707-Vincent-Part-Two-of-Two
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1299707
A vampire, a lost love, a gained love. (Part Two of Two)
6. Library.


         Weeks had passed after that. Her wound was fully healed. The two of us took many walks in the garden, followed by tea in the parlor. It was currently just after midnight as I crept out of my room and into Angel’s. I had frequently done this without her knowledge. I snuck into her room and glided over to her bedside and touched her cheek. Then I sat down on the other side of the room and watched her silently, listening to her mumbling.
         “Vincent… Pierce, don’t…” She turned in her sleep, tangling the sheets. “V…” She rolled over again. “Vampire.” She said breathlessly. My eyes widened. She must know. Tomorrow, she would probably run…
         My eyebrows furrowed in frustration. I had finally gotten my blood lust under control and she was about to leave. I waited for the Old Vincent to come. But he didn’t. I had my mind to myself it seemed. I thought for sure he would come and tell me to kill her to save myself trouble later on. I could never do that. I shook my head. I didn’t want to think about it. I moved silently from my spot and out the door. I walked upstairs and glided through the ballroom to my study.
         I shut the door behind me, and walked over to the desk. I picked up the black book, Julianna’s favorite. It was never published, but I dedicated it to her. The dedication read: “For my eternal love, Julianna.” I flipped the pages quickly and opened up to another page. I skimmed through it and read a paragraph:

         Triston handed Nicolette the dark rose that would soon wither into nothing. She glanced up at him with a look of either pity or gratitude; he could not sense which reaction. She then started to back away from Triston, who was still not sure of what was coming. He reached for Nicolette's hand and she took it. He smiled, and then she placed the dying rose in his hands before continuing to back away.          

         I shut the book with a snap. I had never named the book, but Julianna had always called it “The black covered one about Triston and Nicolette”. I laughed softly and looked towards the door.
         “This should go with the others…” I walked down to my first floor, through the parlor, and past the cellar door to the library. I opened the double doors and entered the massive room. There were many towering bookshelves creating a maze of books, the floor was black and white checkerboard. I walked to the very back of the room where the desk was; behind the desk was a bookshelf pitifully filled with books, my books. I put the book with the others and sat down at the desk.
         What was I supposed to do with Miss Angelique? She subconsciously knew what I was. Sooner or later she was going to see me in action. She already had, in the ballroom, and if she were awake, when I first saw her. Twice was too many. I’m surprised Angelique hadn’t fled already. But, then again, it’s the vampire, or the abusive fiancée.
         I glanced at one of the tall windows. It was dawn already. I stood from my chair and walked to a shelf. I looked up and saw the book that I wanted. It was at the very top of the ceiling high shelf. I sighed and clawed my way up and retrieved the book. I sat down at the desk again. I read the silver lettered title, “Pieces of Diamonds”. I propped up my legs on the table and flicked open the book. I had read it before many years ago. It was about a man hopelessly in love with a woman he could not have. In the end, she died without warning. So the man grew mad, and shut himself away for years until he died alone always thinking of the woman he loved always holding the broken diamond necklace she wore.
         “That sounds a little like you.” The Old Vincent said.
         “Where have you been?” I kept my eyes on the white pages.
         “Did you miss me, dear Vincent?”
         “No.”
         “Well! How are things with Angel?” He asked mockingly.
         “Must you always be this way? Why do you dislike her? She’s done nothing to you.”
         “You’re forgetting Julianna, my love. You killed her. I’ll never forgive that. Maybe I’ll repay the favor.”
         “I’ll never let you. I’m in control of this body now. You had your chance; you let this happen. You let me happen, the vampire. And I won’t let you kill her. This is my chance to love.” I said firmly. Sometime before I finished, I heard the door open and the Old Vincent vanish. I stayed where I was as I heard the clacking of Angelique’s shoes against the floor.
         Finally she made her way to the very back and found me lazily sitting reading a book. “Oh, why hello.”
         “Hello yourself.” I said without taking my eyes off of the text. “So how did you know I was here?”
         “I didn’t. I was just exploring.” She paused. “What are you reading?” She asked. I looked up and met her eyes. I quickly looked over her, and then brought my eyes to hers again. She was wearing a red corset, her pale shoulders exposed; her long hair was flowing down her back. With the rose I gave her, slightly wilted, in her hair.
         “It’s called Pieces of Diamonds.” I went back to reading.
         “That’s an interesting title.” She fell silent. Without taking my eyes off of the page I motioned for her to sit in the chair next to me. She did wordlessly.
         “What do you think of my library?” I asked.
         “Oh, it’s wonderful! It’s so big! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one so enormous.” I chuckled.
         “Feel free to take any book you wish.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw her look to the shelf with my books on them. She got up and searched the collection. She picked out the book I had just put there. Julianna’s favorite.
         “What are all these?” She said gesturing to my books.
         “I wrote those over the years.” I said nonchalantly. She sat back down, and opened the book.
         “What’s this one called?”
         “I don’t know. I never gave it a name.”
         “Oh.” She opened to the dedication. “For my eternal love, Julianna…” Her voice dropped.
         “That was her favorite. She read it many times.”
         “May I read it?” I looked up from my book.
         “Of course. Enjoy.” I went back to the white pages as she began to read.

7. An Unpleasant Surprise.


         I had retreated to my room with a pile of books, as did Angelique. However, she had a pile of my books. She loved them, every time she saw me, she would comment about whatever book she was reading. Soon, she had gone through my whole collection. She then, of course, started over.
         I was reading in my room quietly when I head a soft knock at my door. “Come.” I replied. Angelique stepped through the door, pretty as ever and sat on my bed next to me. I smiled, “What would you like, my dear?”
         "Vincent…”
          I looked from my book and gazed into her blue eyes. “Yes?”
         “How long am I permitted to stay here? You said before until I was healed, but I have been for some time. But you’ve said nothing about me leaving.”
         “Angel, you may stay as long as you like. I know what I said before, but that doesn’t matter now. Other things I said still hold, however; being cautious around me, knocking. But you’ve followed those nicely, so there’s no worry.” I said.
         “Thank you.” She said quietly. I went back to reading. The silence grew for a long while before Angelique said,
         “I’m going to go make some tea. Would you care for some?”
         “Yes, thank you. I’ll be down in a little bit.” I smiled at her as she rose from the bed, and glided to the door. She opened it silently and closed it. I heard her footsteps going down the stairs, and enter the kitchen. I sighed and went back to my book.
         When I had finally gotten down there, Angelique was sitting in the parlor reading another of my books. My angel tea set was on a tray next to her. I entered the room cleared my throat. She looked up from the book and smiled. I walked over and bowed slightly, and then I sat down and poured myself some tea. “Enjoying the book?”
         “Yes. I love this one.”
         “And which one would that be, my dear?” I took a sip of the tea.
         “The one with Triston and Nicolette. It’s so well written, and it just captures my interest with every sentence. I can’t put it down.” She laughed. “You’re an excellent writer, Vincent.”
         “Thank you.” I answered.
         “I would like to read any n-“ There was a knock on my front doors, almost a banging.
         “Excuse me.” I walked into the entry room, and opened the doors. A man was standing there. He had dark green eyes, and short blonde hair. He was tall, but shorter than me. “Can I help you?”
         “Yes. I’m looking for a woman by the name of Angelique Cherai.”
         “And who might you be?”
         “Pierce…?” Angelique was standing behind me holding my arm.
         “Angelique! This is where you have been!” He stepped inside and tried to hug her, but she buried her face in my arm. I glared at him.
         “What do you want?” I asked icily.
         “I want my fiancée back. She ran from the altar. I’ve searched everywhere for you, Angelique. Please, come back with me.”
         “…No… never again. I trusted you, I thought you loved me.” I pulled my arm out from her grasp, put it around her, and pulled her close to me. A flash of jealousy appeared in Pierce’s eyes. I only tightened my hold on her.
         “Angelique, I do love you.” He pleaded trying to ignore me.
         “Only for my inheritance.” Her arms flew around my waist as she began to cry. I glared at him more.
         “Angelique…”
         “Enough.” I said firmly. “She doesn’t want you anymore. You broke her heart, and would you care to explain what happened to her shoulder?”
         “I…I-“
         “You hurt her. Leave.” I said calmly.
         “Angelique… do you love this man?” Pierce asked, the jealousy growing and alongside it anger. Angelique didn’t answer only buried her head in my chest.
         “Leave.” I restated. He left irritably, and walked down the cobblestone path back to the city. I shut the door, and held Angel as she cried into my chest. I stroked her hair gently. “I’m sorry Angelique. Come with me.” I walked her into the living room and sat down on the couch with her. I pulled her close and let her weep.

8. The Demon Inside.


         The soft sobs soon quieted leaving silent tears streaming down her face. We sat for a while just looking out the window where it was raining outside. I sighed dejectedly. She pulled up her tearstained cheeks to look at me. She looked startled and pulled away. “I’m so sorry, Vincent.” I looked over at her bewildered.
         “No need. Cry all you need to.”
         “You must think I’m some petty weak little girl for crying so much…” She looked down at the floor.
         “Not at all, love. Standing up for yourself was brilliant! You’re not weak at all. I would never think such a thing.” She sniffed a little.
         “Thank you, Vincent, but I think I should go up to my room for a little while.” She got up and walked away. I sighed again and looked out at the rain again.
         He had better not come for her again. I thought to myself.
         Or you’ll do what, exactly? Came the Old Vincent’s voice.
         I thought you left…
         Oh Vincent, you know I can’t leave. He chuckled.
         Well, why don’t you leave? I asked in my mind.
         Because it’s fun to be around when you don’t want me. I just sighed.
         Then I’m not talking to you until you leave. I stated firmly.
         Vincent? Vincent…? Oh bugger. Fine. And with that, he left. I laughed. That was just a little too easy really. Throughout the day I felt many things. Anger for Pierce hurting Angelique, sadness from, well, Julianna and for Angelique; love for both of those women. My emotions were running at an all time high, and I didn’t know what I could do. I figured that he would come back for her. I sighed.
         I also had the unexpected problem of myself to deal with. I had always thought that other side my better half. But that theory was being proven wrong. It wasn’t I that was the demon, but my former human self that had the wretched heart. Now, the matter at hand was of this Pierce fellow. I didn’t like him one bit and he seemed to have an evil sense about him. And poor Angelique, the sorrow I felt for her grew so much on this day. As well as those other annoying emotions of compassion, guilt, anger, and worst of all… love. Feelings I hadn’t felt in ages, as when you’re alone for years upon years you tend to lose emotions and become completely apathetic. Angelique is making me human once again.
         Those thoughts of Angelique finding out what I really was came flooding back to me. Would she leave now that Pierce knew she was here? Then again where could she go? If she did indeed know what I was, then she would know that if I truly thirsted for her blood that she could never run from me. And Pierce knew she was here and he seemed to really want her inheritance. He most likely had my home being watched. In all actuality, Angel had no where to run. She was stuck in something that she could never escape from.
         I didn't know if I have the strong enough will to stay by Angelique’s side and not feast upon her. At that moment I was simply going on the sense that I could; whether that notion was true or not had yet to be discovered. I could only hope that nothing ill befall her by my hands, or anyone else.
         You know that no matter where she goes she will die, Vincent.
         “No, Demon…” I replied.
         Demon? The old Vincent chuckled. Ah, I rather like that name. You should listen to me more often. You’re letting those human emotions get the better of you. Why not be the way you once were? Uncaring, vicious, coldhearted…
         “Quiet, wretched Demon! I’m finished being that way! I’ve grown cold over the years, but the way I am now… filled with emotions because of her. I’m happier…”
         Happier? And will you be this happy when you kill her? Or when that nasty little fiancée of hers kills her? You’ll be alone again. I’m betting that Pierce won’t be the one to kill her; but you… Just like you did my beloved Julianna. You’ll kill Angelique and then spiral into that deep depression again. And then what will you do? You’ll sulk like you did before…
         I put my hands over my ears trying to drive him out.{i] Vincent, I’ll never leave you alone. I’m you… You’ll never escape me. Just like Angelique can’t escape her fate. You’re doomed to this eternity with me.
         “No…” I cried out. I looked past the rain sheeting on the window and saw a figure lurking around in the foliage of my yard. That Demon’s voice was buzzing in my head but I was trying to ignore it.  The figure seemed to be walking around my mansion looking in the windows; or at least attempting to. What a thing to sink down to; wandering around outside a man’s home just for some money? Honestly.
         I sighed and got up from my seat and went up the stairs as quietly as I could. Angelique had most likely cried herself to sleep, the poor girl. But, with my new found love, I had to check on her. So with that I went up and paused at her door. I was about to knock lightly on her door when my vision blurred abruptly. I put my hand up to my head as I fell against the wall. My vision was turning slightly red and I ran my hand through my hair only to feel that wet, sticky feeling. I pulled my hand back and saw that dreadful blood stained hand of mine. My eyes widened and I blinked again and again to try and get that vision out of my mind. Finally it disappeared but that certainly didn’t stop my swirling head. My vision went from black to red to normal and all over again.
         As I tried to stay conscious I heard her angelic voice calling out to me.          “Vincent!” Her voice was being overpowered by loud ear piercing screams.
         “Don’t you hear it?” I yelled trying to get my voice over the screams.
         “Vincent, hear what?” I was in Angelique’s arms and she was stroking my hair. My vision was going in and out and it was getting harder to stay conscious.
         “The… screams…” I managed to say before everything went black.

         There was a soft touch on my cheek when I woke up. It was cold, and gentle. My eyes fluttered open and met with those beautiful pale blue eyes of my angel.          “Vincent!” She flung herself over the bed and onto me. I grunted softly and she buried her head in my chest.
         I wrapped my arm around her while my eyes were still adjusting to the light. “Didn’t you hear it?” I asked quietly, looking at my pale hand. There wasn’t a trace of blood or anything on them. She pulled her head up.
         “Vincent, what are you talking about?” Angelique brought herself up and leaned against the headboard of the bed. I looked up at her.
         “The screaming. Couldn’t you hear it? It was loud, and horrible to my ears.” I said. Horror filled my eyes as I recalled the terrible sound.
         “Vincent, there wasn’t any screaming. You were just imagining it.” She said softly. She ran her fingers through my hair gently.
         Imagining it? Was I? Was the very vivid blood on my hands and the screaming burning into my mind my imagination? It didn’t seem that way at all. It was so real to me, it was horrifying. I laughed a bit. “It was so real though. The screaming, it was… blood curdling.”
         “Vincent.” She cooed still while stroking my hair. She sighed. “It was nothing. You were imagining it. As far as you blacking out, well I don’t know.” It was my turn to sigh as I closed my eyes again.
         “Thank you.” I said before my mind drifted far from her reach, and thankfully, the Demon’s too.

9. Visits.


         She was more than I ever dreamt of, that Angelique. She had this sense about her, a calming, dignified sense that was scared like a child at the same time. I found it odd that she took an interest in me as I have her. But as a vampire, I have a certain charm about me. Although Julianna had once said, “Oh Vincent, you’re quite the charmer.” As she then proceeded to giggle lightly.
         Julianna… Forgive me. I never meant to harm you, but myself I cannot control. The demon inside me is what lurks outside as well… Tell me dear, will I ever find peace in my dark life? I said inside my head.
         Vincent, you were always a good man. A voice not of the demon’s rung softly in my ears. It was a sweet, melodic voice that of the angels, it was the voice of Julianna.
         I never once blamed you for what happened. But know this, that ‘demon’ is simply what you were before. He is essentially you yourself Vincent. And essentially he does not exist if you wish it. My love, you hold all the power here. But use it wisely.
         I listened to her words as carefully as my dazed mind could comprehend. Then I felt a soft cold touch on my forehead, brushing back my hair. It almost felt ghostlike.
         Vincent, there are some things that we are never meant to have. Something we have to learn in our life is to just realize that. Open your eyes.
         I did exactly as I was told and I found that that ghostly touch was not of Julianna, but Angelique’s. She gave me a pale smile and flicked her hair behind her ear. My eyes darted around the room and took in my surroundings. I was still in my room on my soft, luxurious bed. Slowly my eyes returned to meet her pale blue gaze. “Are you all right?”
         I sighed, “I’m fine.”
         I sat up and placed my hands over my ears trying to dispose of the distant ringing. I shut my eyes to help a little bit more, but to no avail. I opened my eyes at the touch of her cold porcelain skin on my arm. I looked at her. She looked so frail and I could see the coursing of her blood through her translucent skin. I swallowed hard, and I could feel my fangs growing slightly.
         I staggered my breath. She gave me a worried look. My breathing evened out into slow, calming breaths. Thoughts raced through my head as always. I was contemplating on whether to tell Angel that I was a sick, twisted, blood-thirsty vampire. I could envision it now:
         “Angelique…” I paused. “There’s something about me that you should know…” She blinked a few times before answering.
         “What do you mean?” I let the thirst for her hot blood take over and let my fangs grow. My nails grew as well, and I let my eyes change to the color they always want to be, bloody crimson red. She gasped lightly. “Vincent… what…”
         “I’m a vampire, my dear.” The Demon had twisted my soft voice to that of his own; wicked. The Demon chuckled at the silly girl. Her pale eyes widened and the Demon grabbed her hand when she attempted to flee. Angelique fought with him, but in the end, she fell limp in the devilish Demon’s arm with two small holes surrounded by a bloody mess on her neck. Angelique was gone…

         No! I couldn’t tell her… could I? She had spent over two months with me, and she and I have grown very close with each other. She would understand right? She would understand that I didn’t want to kill her and that… I loved her. I loved her? Was the Demon actually right? Yes, I did love her. But would that fact change her reaction. Would she flee like all the others? Would I ever even find out? The answers to those questions weren’t far, but I dare not ask, nor did I want to find out.
         “Vincent…?” Her soft voice called to me. My eyes flicked up from staring at the wall, and met with concerned eyes. “What’s the matter?” Angel asked gently. That’s it. This ends right now, one way or another right now. Either I tell her, and she runs, or she faces her fate…
         “Angelique… I’m…” Deep breaths, deep breaths; that’s all I need. “I’m a…” I gulped. This was harder than I thought. “Vamp-“ There was a loud crashing on the first floor and both our eyes widened. I sat up quickly, and raced down stars with Angelique in tow.
         There was some loud cursing by a horrifyingly familiar voice followed by louder crashing. When we finally reached my parlor room we were met with a fully drunken Pierce.

10. The End.


         He was surrounded by ruins of my finest porcelain. Angelique stood behind me, eyes wide with fear, latched onto my arm. I cleared my throat and gave an ice cold stare towards the drunken man. He looked up at me, blonde hair ragged and eyes glazed over from alcohol. Pierce scowled at the cringing Angelique behind me. I glared coldly.
         “Any reason you’re in my home, inebriated no less?” I asked coldly. He took a clumsy step forward, and the bottle of liquor clasped in his fist fell to the floor and blood red liquid spilled onto the carpet. A gurgle erupted from his throat as he raised an arm shakily and pointed to Angelique.
         “Her…” He managed. I glared sharp, piercing daggers at him.
         “What do you want from her anyway?” I asked. Angel’s hands were shaking. She really was afraid.
         “I…” He burped. “Want her!” He stepped forward further and attempted to lunge behind me towards Angelique.  Before he could even reach us, I flew forward, grabbed his wrist and twisted. He shrieked in pain, and tried to wriggle out of my iron grasp. But the more he squirmed the harder I squeezed. I heard Angelique whimper behind me.
         “Vincent… stop.” Her voice was soft, yet filled with authority. I paused and looked over my shoulder at her. Her tearstained cheeks were red and traces of eye makeup smeared her face; her eyes dripping with soft tears, ready to drop at a moments notice. 
         “What…?” I breathed out.
         Angelique opened her mouth to say something but was cut of by a fist that came slamming into the side of my face. Angel gasped, and I could hear the crunching of bone in both my face, and his fist. I winced at both the sound, and pain. I let go of his wrist and put my hand on the side of my now slightly indented face. I swallowed hard as the pain increased and the bones replaced themselves correctly. I felt the side of my face, it wasn’t indented anymore, and the pain was gone. I snarled and slashed at him with my claws. They had come out when the healing process began.
         Even in his drunken state, Pierce looked shocked at my new appearance, and the fact that his suit was torn revealing four bloody gashes across his chest. The scent of blood stimulated me more and I drove my claws into his chest. Angelique screamed and ran over. She carefully put her arms around my waist. I grimaced at her… The Demon had taken over…
         A low growl erupted deep from my chest involuntarily. Everything I did now was under the Demon’s control. Through slightly red vision I saw her arms around my waist and my arms pulled out from his chest and clasped her arms. I heard and felt her wince in pain as the claws pierced her skin. Stop! I screamed in my head. For now, I was the voice inside one’s head.
         “You’ve let your guard down Vincent. I’m taking over now.” The Demon spoke devilishly. Pierce had picked up the now empty bottle and smashed it over my head. The Demon spoke, “Fool.” My arms flew up to his neck, and broke it. Still alive, my teeth sunk into his skin and warm blood flowed into my mouth. Pierce screamed out in pain, and then slipped into the forever darkness. Angelique was in total shock, eyes wide, erratic breathing. My vision turned from Pierce’s limp body over to Angel.
         No! Stop it! Don’t you touch her! I screamed inside my head. The Demon laughed and pulled Angelique into him.
         “Goodbye…” Her eyes widened and just before my teeth pierced her skin, the Demon switched so that I was forefront now. I… bit down and drank her blood. Once I tasted it, I couldn’t stop. Her eyes were locked in my apologetic gaze. I pulled away, realized what I just did.
         “Angelique…” I pulled her close to me, the tears streaming. “I’m so sorry. Forgive me…” She took in a ragged breath, and whispered one word:
         “Vampire…” Her eyes fell shut, and her body went limp. I buried my face in her hair and cried.
         “I’ve lost another…” I looked at my hands. They were bloody, just like I had envisioned before, but now, the blood wouldn’t go away. I could never wash off this stain.

11. Epilogue.


         On that dark day that Angelique, my most recent love, left me, I buried her in my garden by the moss covered bench. I gave her a tombstone with the engraving: Angelique Julianna Cherai. May 25, 1831- June 27 1855. May my love rest in peace. Beside her grave, was another tombstone. It read: Vincent James Morvant. December 19, 1629- February 9, 1654. He lives a cruel fate.
         I walked outside to the graves and placed roses at her resting place. The Demon never showed up in my mind again after Angelique died. Tears fell from my eyes, and stained the ground. “Angelique… you ended up exactly like Julianna. Never again will I allow myself to suffer another tragedy such as this.”
         “Excuse me… Sir?” A woman’s voice called to me. I stood up with my back still to her and growled. Her voice was sweet, and inviting. “There’s been a murder in town and we were wondering if-“I flung around and saw her perfect form; her golden hair fell freely down her back. I lunged silently at the beauty and killed her, letting her body fall to the ground. She made no sound other than the soft thud of falling.
         “Never again…”

The End.
© Copyright 2007 MoonxWolf (moonxwolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1299707-Vincent-Part-Two-of-Two