*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1301935-No-title-yet
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1301935
This is a sample of the first few segments of a story I wrote while trying to fall asleep.
The first things I saw were eyes. Large liquid drops of deep blue perused me from head to bare foot. Refusing to acknowledge my dismal state, I stared steadily back. At least I did, 'til it stepped into the light. 
  A mass of corded muscle, gigantic teeth, and razor-sharp spikes towered in full glory above me. The crowd roared in gleeful anticipation as my heart dropped to the floor. My poor heart seemed to beat weakly before shriveling up in the dust at my feet. I stumbled and dearly wished I could flee as easily as my wits had. I was pretty sure they had scattered and would continue to flee, screaming, until they fell off the edge of the earth. Considering my current situation, I would be joining them shortly.
  I turned and ran. This was completely futile, of course. There was no way to escape the stadium, but the will to live is stronger than logic. Needless to say, the beast caught me and I died.  I had just enough time to think "At least it couldn’t get any worse." and everything went black.

Let's say that you just died. Morbid, I know, but work with me a bit. What would you be expecting? . . . Heaven? . . .Hell? . . . The light at the end of the tunnel? To set that all straight, there’s a line. A really . . . long . . . waiting . . . line.
I found myself behind some old lady who was behind some old guy who was behind some small child who was behind another old guy who was behind. . . well you get the picture. I turned to the lady in front of me.
  “Where are we going?”
  “Up there,” she waved her withered hand at the line that disappeared into the distance.
  “What’s up there?” I asked.
  “Who knows?”
  “So why are we waiting?”
  “What? Do you have something better to do?” She turned her back on me. I guess she had a point. It wasn’t like we had to go anywhere. Somehow I thought that there would be no waiting after death. After all, everything’s over. Instead, it was the end-of-the-line, so to speak.

After a very long time, I can’t say exactly how long being as there were no nights or days just a continuously moving line, I was nearing the front. The first sign was a small bump on the horizon. A while later it became a golden band. The closer we got the higher the golden band grew. It was like watching the sun rise, except instead of the sun rising, it was a golden gate.

© Copyright 2007 J.C.Stonewell (j23414 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1301935-No-title-yet