*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1302471-I-Continue-To-Rise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Poetry · Emotional · #1302471
Learning to accept life on life's terms is essential to overcoming any kind of addiction
Butt-naked, kicking and screaming...I came into this world
With two strikes against me...born black and born a girl.
Born to a 14 year old mother and a 16 year old dad
And the saddest part about it was...I was the second child my folks had.

Born into a life full of poverty, adversity and shame
Too young to know the source or exactly where to place the blame.
But the source of the blame seemed to point right at me...
Not only a burden to my parents but also to society.

Or so the world thought but little did the world know...
That on this day...a true solider was born.

Through childhood years, molestation and devastation...I rose
Through the adolescent years, just me and my fears...I rose.
Through the birth and the death of a child at the age of 14...I stood up tall & high
Through the teen-aged years, responsible for paying my own bills...I lifted my head to the sky.

Through bad relationships, being used and abused...I wouldn't back down.
Through drug addiction, prostitution and institutions...I was victory bound.
My mind still intact, blood flowing through my veins...
I stood up and overcame the negativity and shame as I realized the potential
in the reason of my existence...I rose to the occasion.

No matter what I'd done , who I was or where I'd been , I defeat the enemy daily with retaliation out of dedication to a God who created me out of love and affection...
For He has given me a divine purpose in this life and I accept my position with dignity and pride....

Everyday, I continue to rise.

© Copyright 2007 Shadeerah (shadeerah04 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1302471-I-Continue-To-Rise