*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1302977-Elsie-Dreams-in-Color
by Astrea
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1302977
Elsie has a dream in which she feels more alive than ever.
Elsie’s feet quietly found their way to the cool tile floor. The slight chill sent a ripple of excitement through her and the scent of the early morning coaxed her towards the first rays of the dawn of a new day. Tying on her shoes quickly, she sneaked out the room before waking the sleeping form next to her.
Outside the cottage, the birds chirped and the pre dawn mist was clearing, giving way to what promised to be a brilliant day. The flowers were still clinging to the jewels of dew on their delicate petals. The ocean, steady as always, kept beating on the abandoned beach. This was the way Elsie liked it; it was hers to own. She set off on her usual path along the shore line, slowly at first, then giving way to the joy of living. Her legs pumped steadily, kicking sand up in little clumps that dove into the waves. Her heart began to beat along with the rhythm of the sea, the sound of her footsteps and the flapping of the wings of the seagulls overhead. With every step, her breathing cleared her mind and she was able to feel only the beauty of the morning.

The sand of the beach began to fade as she neared the rocky part of the shoreline. She felt the warmth of the sun’s rays and the warmth of her own body mingling with the cool mist. She slowed slightly as she began to climb, feeling her soul lift as she climbed ever higher. The day seemed to beat with her in a never before heard symphony that reached its crescendo as she skidded to a stop at the top of the cliff overlooking the coastline.

Overwhelmed with the feeling of simply being alive, Elsie stood and flung her arms wide to welcome the rays of the sun as it rose and bathed her face in its comforting rays. With her eyes closed, Elsie could feel the ocean’s pulse of life beating below her as it crashed against rocks that seemed so big until they were hit with the force of a wave. The water leaped high as if celebrating with Elsie.

The joy of life bubbled up inside of her and Elsie laughed. It was a deep and cleansing laugh, like that of a small child. She felt like a child, discovering the wonders of the world as if for the first time. Taking a deep breath, as if to inhale the scents, the sights, and even the moment itself to keep it forever inside of her, Elsie turned and slowly walked down the hill. Once on the soft sand, she took off her shoes to dig her toes into it. She took her time winding her way back to the small cottage by the beach.

He was standing in the doorway, with that cocky smile, his hair still tousled by the night’s sleep, waiting for her to return.

“Happy Birthday Elsie,” he said simply.
© Copyright 2007 Astrea (astrea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1302977-Elsie-Dreams-in-Color