*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1305761-Captain-Ostwalds-Dream
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #1305761
Know the Salvation Army to get all of it, know the church to get some of it, otherwise ...
CAPTAIN OSTWALDS DREAM


Captain Ostwald dreamt of pews and a pulpit. He dreamt of offering plates heavy with tithe, he dreamt of crowded mercy seats, he dreamt of a recovered alcoholic who gave stirring testimonies, he dreamt of a first cornet player who always nailed his solos. He dreamt of a drama and dance group that would move his congregation with panicked stares and crucifixion poses. He dreamt of PowerPoint where the right words always came up. He dreamt of a front row full of teenage girls and a backseat full of teenage boys, and in between mothers with babies who didn't cry during his sermon. He dreamt of a Sunday school in the room next door that never disrupted the meeting except for when singing a rowdy and passionate version of "Girls wont you help us, boys wont you help us". He dreamt of a wife that would sit by him and laugh at all his jokes, he dreamt they would need to bring in the plastic chairs from the storage room to seat the overflow. He dreamt of a drummer who never drummed too loud and a pianist who always started playing just as his sermon concluded, he dreamt of a window that would drag the sun in and have it shed warm light on the big wooden cross hung at the back of the hall. He dreamt of a post service morning tea where the coffee was rich and the cordial was mixed just right, he dreamt of herbal teas full of anti-oxidants that would be fighting for his congregation's health long after Sunday had passed.

He dreamt his heart full of love, his soul full of spirit, he dreamt of the fruits spilling out of him, he dreamt of the hungry getting food, and the homeless getting shelter, he dreamt of leading a broken man to the restoring arms of the Lord, and in his dreams he found a prayer then grace then peace.
© Copyright 2007 FARTHING (farthing at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1305761-Captain-Ostwalds-Dream