*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1306660-hectic-trip-to-greenwhich
by orwell
Rated: E · Essay · History · #1306660
The simply wonderful Tudor palace of Placentia crafted in a classic Palladian
The simply wonderful Tudor palace of Placentia crafted in a classic Palladian style catch your glimpse from the docking ship. It is just irresistible for the eyes and when you discover that has been the residence of the royal family which shaped Britain and the world as it is today, you are absolutely shocked.
Well preserved almost intact, started in 1427 and completed by the great designer Inigo Jones, the Tudor palace of Placentia remain even today what it was for 2 centuries (16th and 17th ) one of the best royal palaces in the world I felt the same emotions which the royal toddlers should have felt watching from the garden the banks across the river.
The white-marble colonnade reflect the sun during the shining daylight and it is just a coincidence that today is the only Historical villa divided in 2 equal part by the "Prime meridian" in fact the Royal observatory of Greenwich is only 50 meter behind the once powerful Placentia palace Eventually we can say that this historical building, like the Royal family who lived there have done, divide our world yesterday and today.
It is a fact that the world is divided between east and west by the Greenwich meridian and that we are still divided by religions and by the Imperialism.

The history says: Henry the 8th was a powerful king, his family, the Tudors, ruled and shaped Britain, ineluctably the world. What we know is that today we may see the effects of theirs presence, what we do not know is what could have been the world nowadays without a new revolutionary system to calculate the longitudinal position which is still in use: G. M. T. = the Greenwich Mean Time
© Copyright 2007 orwell (andreasperelli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1306660-hectic-trip-to-greenwhich