*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307299-The-New-Kid
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1307299
I think I'm done with this for now!
"Good morning everyone!" Mrs. Robinson greets her high school class. "Before we go over last nights homework, I would like to introduce our new student. David Davidson, would you please stand up and tell us a little about yourself?"

All heads tun as David stands from his seat in the back of the room. His blue eyes scan the room, taking in his surroundings. The white streak in his dark hair pulls the attention away from his face. His short hair is gelled back perfectly. Nothing out of place. He flashes a smile showing off his straight, pearly white teeth. All the girls' hearts skip a beat. "Thank you Mrs. Robinson. My name is David Davidson." His voice is low and mesmerizing. "I just moved here, Garland City, last week. I was living in Canada, so moving to the states is a little different." With that he takes his seat, flashing another smile.

"Thank you David." Mrs. Robinson gives him a little smile before turning her attention to the rest of the class. "Please take out last nights assignment."

"Weirdo." Someone from the middle of the room calls out, making the rest of the students laugh.

"Brad Mathews! I will not have that in my class room. One more outburst like that and you will find yourself in detention." Mrs. Robinson says pointing a stubby finger at him.

Brad, trying to keep the laughter from his voice, "Yes, it will not happen again." He snickers and receives a high five as soon as Mrs. Robinson turns her back to him. He turns to David with laughter in his eyes. David gives him a little smile in return and winks at him. The laughter vanishes and confusion takes over as Brad wonders what the new kid is up to. He sees something flash in David's eyes and fear starts to form in the pit of his stomach.

"Hey Brad. Brad! Did you do the homework?" Eric Johnson asked his friend.

Brad turns to face him,"I..." His face turns white and his eyes widen.

"Brad, whats wrong?" Eric said with a worried look.

"Sp-Sp-Spiders!! They're all over you." Brad jumps out of his seat.

Eric looks around, "Brad there are no spiders."

"Brad, what on earth?" Mrs. Robinson comes towards him.

"No! Get away from me!" He looks straight at her. "They are on you too!"

"Brad, knock it off. There are no spiders. Stop playing around." Eric says getting out of his seat.

Brad looks at everyone else in the room with confusion. He sees that everyone is covered with spiders, but no one seems to notice. "Why isn't anyone doing anything?" Brad screams. "They're all over everyone. Can't you feel them crawling on your skin?"

"Brad, dude. You're freaking out." Eric tries to calm him down.

"No! Don't come near me. I hate spiders. I don't want them anywhere near me." He backs himself into a corner.

"Brad. Brad, snap out of it." Mrs. Robinson tries to get his attention one more time.

Brad doesn't listen. He sits on the floor, wrapping his arms around himself. "Spiders. Spiders everywhere." He starts rocking back and forth. His face is still white, and his pupils are dilated. "Spiders. Spiders everywhere." He repeats, his voice is just a soft whisper now.

Someone get the nurse. Now!" Mrs. Robinson yells to no one in particular. Eric runs to get the nurse, while everyone else gather around Brad. They have no idea what is going on with him.

"Spiders. Spiders everywhere." Brad repeats.

The nurse enters with the principal right behind her. The students move aside as they make their way to him. "Oh my!" The nurse rushes to Brad's side. She shakes him, trying to get his attention. Nothing.

"Spiders. Spiders everywhere."

"Mrs. Robinson, escort your students to the cafeteria. Nurse Julie, can you do anything to snap him out of it?" Principal Albert says and takes control of the situation.

"No," Nurse Julie sighs. "He is too far gone. Call 911, we need to get him to a hospital. There is nothing I can do for him here."

"Spiders. Spider everywhere."

They look down at him, confusion and worry on their face. "What the hell happened?" Principal Albert asked. Not waiting for an answer, he goes to meet the ambulance outside. Mrs. Robinson leads her students to the cafeteria, and goes back to Brad's side.

In the cafeteria the students gather around each other, talking non stop.

"What happened to Brad?"

"Is he going to be alright?"

"Everyone knows he is scared to death of spiders."

"But, there wasn't any spiders. Its freakin' winter!"

"Padded cell and straight jacket is where he is gong to end up."

"Don't say that!"

"Yep, that is what it looks like."

"Shut up. How can you say that?"

"Were you in the same room we were?"

Sitting at a table alone, David listens to the other kids talking. A smile forms and light flashes in his eyes. Laughter starts to bubble up, and he tries to hold it in. Unable to hold it any longer, he lets out an evil laugh.

Three Months Later...

David walked into a small room. The walls were covered in white, making the room seem brighter than it actually was. In the corner of the room, a small figure was sitter rocking back and forth, repeating the same thing over and over. "Spiders. Spiders everywhere." David walked up to him, stopping just inches away. "I have a little present for you Brad." He said as he took a small toy spider from his pocket and held it up for Brad to see. Brad's eyes went wide and his body started to shake in fear. David placed the spider on the floor directly in front of Brad, who's eyes followed the spider's decent to the floor. David took a look at Brad's face and started laughing. "Don't worry. It won't bite.... Yet."

David started pacing around the room, talking to himself more than to Brad. "Did you think I would let you insult me and get away with it?" Rage burned through his body as he continued. "There was a reason why I moved to your piece of shit town, I had no where else to go. My parents, heaven help them, thought it would be for the best to start over ever since the little accident at my last school." He let out an evil laugh. "Those idiots thought that because I was different that they could insult me. Well, I taught them a lesson they would never forget." He quickly turned and walked up to Brad, bending down until they were nose to nose. "They will never forget the ones that lost their lives in that fire. The quarterback of the football team, the head cheerleader, and all their little friends who thought they were better than me. Do you think your better than me, Brad?" He stared into Brad's eyes for a long time, as if he could see into his mind. Snapping out of the trance David turned around and headed for the door. With out looking back at Brad, he called out in a low voice, "Brad, it's time for you to learn your lesson." As he closed the door behind him he could hear Brad scream in terror as the toy spider came to life.

Walking out of the hospital, David breathed in the fresh spring air. He could hear the birds singing as they welcome the start of another season. He rubbed his hands together in anticipation of what the new season would bring. Noticing a group of kids from school across the street, he smiled at them. They quickly turned away and walked in the other direction. A glint came to David's eyes as he thought of how much they were afraid of him. No one has said it to his face, but he heard the rumors. "David Davidson had to of had something to do with what happened to Brad." "He is a strange one. He has some kind of brainwashing power." And so on and so on. They were scared of him, and because of that he owned them. As long as no one made him upset, there wouldn't be another fire like at his last school. A smirk came to his face as he thought about the fire. Putting his hands in back pockets, he made his way home. Watching as everyone he came across moved to the other side of the street as he made his way pass.

Back in the hospital room the guards walked into Brad's room. They found him laying on the floor, his skin white as a sheet. "Get the doctor!" One of them yelled as he checked for a pulse.

"What happened in here?" The doctor asked as he knelt down by Brad's body.

"We don't know." A guard replied. "We were doing checks and found him like this."

"He looks like he went into shock." The doctor took the stethoscope from around his neck and tried to find Brad's heart beat. He shook his head. "I'm afraid that his heart has stopped. From the look at it, it stopped about ten minutes ago." He lowered his head as he placed the stethoscope back around his neck. "There is nothing else to be done. He's dead." He looked up at the two guards. "Has anyone been here to see him?"

The guards shook their heads. "His parents came early this morning, but no one has been in or out of this room since." One guard replied. The other guard went out of the room, then came back in quickly with a blanket. He cover Brad's body up and then the left the room with the doctor and the other guard.

"I'll notify his parents." The doctor said. "Then after finding out what they want to do, I'll call and have somebody pick up the body. In the meantime I need you two to get the nurse. She'll have to clean the body up and place him in the morgue." With a sad look on his face he shook his head. "Such a young boy. What a waste." He turned and walked to his office.

The guards went to find the nurse. On the way one of them asked, "You think that boy had anything to do with this?" Referring to David and the rumors spreading in town.

"I don't know. We didn't see him come in or out of the building. How could he?" The other guard replied.

"Well, you know what they are saying about him? That he has some kind of mind control." The guard said with disgust. "I wouldn't put it pass him."

The other guard just shook his head, not knowing what to think. "Guess we will never find out." The first guard nodded in agreement and left it at that.

The next day David woke with a sense that something was wrong. "Mom!" He called out, but got no answer. "Dad!" No answer. He climbed out of bed and headed down stairs. Goosebumps cover his arms as he made his way into his parents bedroom. It was empty. His parents were not there. All their cloths and personal items were gone. "What the hell?" He says out loud, his temper rising. He ran through the first and second story house searching for them, not bothering to look in the basement. He couldn't find them. They had left him. That thought rang through his mind, has he settled in a chair in the living room. Silently cursing his parents he didn't hear the car pull up in front of the house. He didn't notice a man in a black suit walk up to the house. A loud knock on the door startled David. He jumped up to his feet and answered the door.

The man in the black suit stared at David, his black eyes taking in the situation. He has a large pink scar that ran from the corner of his left eye down to the bottom of his chin. "Hello David." He said.

David didn't know what to think. He knows he seen this man before, but he couldn't remember where. "Hello." David answered. "My parents aren't home right now." Thinking this man had to come to see his parents.

"I know David." The man replied. "I'm here to see you." The man looked David up and down before continuing. "You don't remember me, do you David?"

David was silent for a couple of minutes taking in the man's face. He stared hard at the man's scar before recognition set in. "Shit!" He tried to shut the door, but the man pushed his way through. He backed away from the door, "What do you want?" His voice sounded like it was between rage and fear.

"What do I want?" The man's eyes turned deadly. "I want my daughter back! I want my life back!" The man closed in on David. Pinning him to the wall, the man placed his hands around David's neck. "I want you to suffer like my little girl did!" The veins in the man's neck pushed through his skin as his rage overcame him. "I want you to die!"

David's face started to turn purple as the man placed more presser around his neck. He stared in the man's eyes as his rage bubbled to the surface. His eyes turned black and then quickly turned to red. Smoke filled the air causing the man to cough uncontrollable. Flames shot up around them.

The man ignored the flames and keep his focus on David. "You want to know why your parents are not here?" He coughed before he continued. "They left in the middle of the night. They couldn't bear having a son like you any longer." He coughed some more. The flames rose along with the temperature, making them both sweat profusely. "They knew I was looking for you. They called me and told me they had enough of the rumors. Enough of moving because you couldn't keep you temper in check." His voice grew stronger and louder to be heard of the roar of the flames. " Enough of people dying!"

David, still staring at the man's eyes, could tell he was lying about his parents. He knew they were dead, where ever they where. "I'm not the one who is going to die." He coughed, "You are!" His eyes widen as the flames grew larger and quickly devoured them.

Outside the neighbors gathered around as they watch the house go up in flames. In the distance the fire sirens could be heard making their way towards the seine. Through the roar of the flames they heard screams as the fire raged it way through the house. In the background a lone figure stood, badly burnt. Staring as the house collapsed, a single tear ran down his face. He had a small smile on his face as he turn and walked away.

As firefighters and the medical examiner made their way through the demolished house, they found three bodies. An older male was found in the living room. According to the medical examiner it seemed as that he was alive when the fire broke out. In the basement, the bodies of an older male and an older female were found. Their heads looked to be crushed in, and were more than likely dead before the fire started. The neighbors identified Mr. and Mrs. Davidson, but no one was able to identify the other man. David was no where to be seen.
© Copyright 2007 astacey (astacey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307299-The-New-Kid