*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1308614-Consternation-Cataclysm
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1308614
A past horrible tragedy is brought back to haunt one woman.
Part One: Past Reopened

Jade grabbed a stack of mail from the mail box. She sat the stack of many envelopes on the table. She began rummaging throught the mail. She stopped when she came across a letter. It was sent from the jail house. She couldn't think of anyone in jail who would want to contact her.

She reluctantly open the envelope to pull out a neatly folded piece of paper. She opened it and across the top stated "To Jade". She decided to read on.

To Jade:

I'm writing you this letter as a fair warning, more as a plea. A plea for your forgiveness. I know you hate me and wish me to just to rot away. I mean for what I did to you. I admit that I hurt you and got great pleasure from it at the time, but now I'm thwarted with myself, what a selfish disgusting human being I was. I never forgave myself or been able to get past what I did to you.

Next month I get released from prison, which I want you to know I'm going to search for my daughter Dana which I left behind and hope I can put this behind me and become a better person. The past twenty two years have changed me. The scars I have caused you may never heal but you must know that I'm truely sorrya nd maybe one day you'll forgive me.

Michael Blake


Jade suffered through reading it. Her face was pale and she was near saline. The image of Michael all those years ago began to resurface. She could remember his dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. He was so much bigger then she was. She remember walking through the park and he grabbed her. The screams and the fear was rushing back.

Suddenly the front door opened and her husband Ivan walked in. Jade didn't know it was him so she grabbed a vase and through it at him. It hit him in the face.

"I'm so sorry Ivan." she cried finally realising she had attack her husband. "I thought you were someone else." she ran to him. Blood was rushing down the side of his face. A piece of the vase was sticking out the side of his face. He dropped the stuff her was holding and sat down on the wicker seating. He was touching his face looking at the sweaty blood coming from it. He was staring from the floor up to Jade.

"Ivan, I didn't mean to, please say something." Jade said.

"Jade, it is okay." he replied agonizingly.

"We need to get you to the hospital."

"I'll be okay honey." he paused. "Who did you think I was."

"I thought you were someone breaking in." she lied.

"Someone must have been wandering around. Anyway I need to clean up." he go tup and went to the bathroom where Jade followed. He yanked out the piece of glass. Blood began to pur out. Jade quickly grabbed a facecloth and held it againts his face. He unenthusiastically let her. He was gasping with pain. The bleeding soon stopped.

It was 11pm before Ivan and Jade settled down to go to bed, she had put their daughter to bed hours previous. It didn't take Ivan long to fall asleep. Jade just layed their unable to fall asleep. When her clock rand midnight she got up and went to sit in the kitchen where she pulled out the letter. She began to read over it over again and again before she picked up a cup that was on the table and through it againts the wall and it shattered into a million pieces.

"YOU WILL NEVER HURT ME." Jade cried loudly. She took the letter and shoved it behind the stove. Ivan came running to the kitchen followed by Crystal.

"What is wrong mommy?" she asked.

"I was just watching a scary movie when I dropped the cup." she made up a excuse.

"Crystal, why don't you go upstairs to bed while your mom and I talk." Crystal nodded and went upstairs. When they were sure she was in bed Ivan proceeded.

"What is wrong Jade?"

"It is nothing, I thought I saw someone." she said.

"I'm going outside to see if anyone is lurking around."

Before Jade could say anything Ivan had went outside to search. HE came in a few minutes later.

"There is no one out there. Why don't you come back to bed and try to get some sleep."

"Okay!" Jade said.

She finally managed to fall asleep. She woke up the next day at around 10am. She remembered the letter and hurried downstairs to the kitchen hoping it was all just a nightmare. She looked and picked up the crumpled piece of paper. She put it back when she heard Ivan and Crystal coming down.

"You better get dressed honey, Brandon is coming around today." Ivan said.

"Okay!" Jade said getting up heading for her bedroom. She changed into a t-shirt and jeans. She went over to her dresser and pulled out a picture of her son Brandon out of her drawyer and held it.

"You are my baby Brandon, and their is no way your father Michael is going to ever going to know that your his son. You aren't going to know you were the product of rape." she told her self quietly

She put it back and went back downstairs. She made brunch for her family and sat down. At around 1am Brandon arrived.

"Hi mom, I heared about you seeing someone yesterday."

"It was nothing. So how are you sweetheart?" she asked

"I got a day off of work today, so I thought I'd come over and visit you."

"I'm glad you come over and visit." she said. She looked at her son, then became distant. It didn't appear to her until now that her son was a split image of him except that his eyes are brown and his hair is a darker brown like her mothers. She looked out the window and began to remember Michael holding a knofe up to her knofe and pushing her into a van. She began to pant and the memory began to play over and over again in her mind. She saw Brandon coming over towards her.

"Don't hurt me." she cried. She grabbed a knife from nearby and was swinging at him.

"You can't hurt me, I won't allow you." she cried.

"Mom, what are you doing?" he asked

"You know what you did? You can't deny it Michael." she yelled. Ivan came running when he heard the yelling. He had just set up a computer game for Crystal. He ran and snatched the knife from Jade

He held the struggling Jade until she finally calmed down.

"Someone was breaking in?"

"You almost stabbed your son." Ivan said concerned. Not realising she was attacking her son got all offensive.

"I would never attack my baby."

"I don't think you deliberately did."

"What do you mean Ivan?" she bellow

"I heared you saying you say I know hat you did and you can't deny it Michael? Who the hell is Michael?"

"I don't know who you are talkimg about." she lied. She got up culpable and ran out of the room. Brandon stood their confused.

"What is wrong with her?" he asked

"She had been acting weird since yesterday. Firat she through a vase at me saying she thought it was someone else. I come into the kitchen late last night an d saw she through a cup at the wall and then she attempted to swing you with a knife."

"If she won't say anything, maybe I should try to talk to her." he suggested.

"Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea." he said. Brandon went to find Jade. Soon he returned with no luck.

"My suggestion is go talk to her parents. Maybe they have a idea who Michael is? We need to know before things get any worst."

"Do you have a name?"

"Lilly Kirk, it can't be that hard to find an address in the phonebook. If we can't find any answer we will have to call the psych ward" Brandon said. Ivan grabbed a phonebook and searched. They're was two.

"They're is mine and this one. This one must be the one. Maybe I can find out who my father is too."

Ivan went upstairs.

"Brandon, Crystal and I are going to the park so you can get some sleep. Call me if anything happens."

"Okay, I will. Tell Brandon I'm sorry. Maybe it is just the heat gettign me or I'm catching something."

"Maybe, just rest and hope you feel better." he said.

"Pick up some eggs and flour while your out so I can make some cookies." Jade demanded.

"I will." he said.

Soon the three of them left. They found the house belonging to Jade's parents . It was in a dingey part of town.

Ivan led Crystal up to the house followed by Brandon. Ivan knocked on the door. A older lady opened the door. She was shocked at the sight of Brandon.

"How dare you come here in the name of Michael Blake." she said. Her husband came running and saw him.

"Mam, we don't know a Michael Blake. Is this guy some how related to Jade."

"Where is Jade, what did you do with my baby?" Lilly cried

"My mommy is home sleeping." Crystal said.

"Calmed down for a second." the man todl Lilly.

"These people have our daughter."

"These people wouldn't show up here for no reason. Lets find out what they want."

"Okay, first I want to know who they are." she said. Brandon pulled out his driver license.

"I'm Jade's son." he handed the driver's license towards her. "There proof that I have her maiden name." Brandon stated. Lilly took it from hima dn was shocked to see it was right.

"I'm sorry Brandon for accusing you. I was just mistaking you as someone else."

"No problem, this over here is Crystal my sister and my moms husband Ivan."

"Why don't you come in and talk for a while."

They came inside and sat on their couch. Ivan saw a picture on the wall and realised it was a picture of Jade who was a teenager at the time.

"Hello Ivan, what brings you to see us?" Jade's husband asked

"I think you can help us. Who is Michael?" he asked.

"You mean Brandon's father."

"No, his father is named George. Aleast that is waht Jade claims."

"No his name is Michael. She had a problem with him in the past."

"Why would she lie about him?" he asked.

"How exactly did the name come up?" she asked

"That is the problem, since yesterday Jade has been acting weird. She through a vase at me, and almost stabbed her own son saying that some Michael guy can't hurt her. She is not delusional."

"Oh that is no delusion. It is very real. Go be with her. I can't talk about it anymore. I'm sorry."

"Thanks for your time, but I think we need to get going."

Just as they were to leave Jade came up the stairs. Her parents came to the door.

"Hello mom, hello dad." she said then looked at her husband. "What are you doing here?

"You followed me?"

"You forgot Crystals running shoes." she said. "SO why you lie to me, and come to the one place I never wanted to return to."

"Why we are talking about lying, why don't you tell me who George is?" he said. Jade knew she was stuck. She began to swallow.

"George is the nickname I gave Brandon's father. I don't exactly like him so instead of using the name Michael which of course is his real name I use the name George." she lied.

"Jade, tell him the truth. If you don't I will." her father said.

"Their is nothing wrong. MIchael is the past he is." she said and then she looked at the window and then she became distant while she was crumpling a piece of paper in her pocket. It was the letter that Micahel sent her.

"You can't hurt me Michael you can't." she broked down. "You can't force yourself on me. I hate you and I want my life back." she cried. After a few minutes she calmed down

"My son is a product of rape." she cried. " You got your wish now you got your wish."

Brandon sat their shocked. Her husband sat their shocked as long with the rest of her family.

"He is getting out of jail."

"How do you know this?" he asked

"He sent me a letter in the mail." she said handing Ivan the letter. He read it out loud. Jade's father yelled.

"How dare he try and get sympathy."

"He will never touch Jade as long as I'm alive" Ivan said.

"I just want to go home."
__________________________________________________________________

Part 2 Forgive but not forget

They went back to their house. Brandon sat in the backseat looking out the window. Crystal was sitting beside Brandon.

"Brandon, can you take me to the park?" she asked

"You got to ask your mom or dad first." he said

"Mommy, I want to go to the park." she screamed.

"If it is okay with Brandon then you can go." she said

They soon arrived home. Brandon took Crystal and headed down the street to the park. Ivan took Jade into the house.

"I'm sorry Jade." Ivan hissed.

"What are you sorry for, I didn't tell you about my son's father. I still didn't tell you the whole story." she said.

"He raped you, no wander you didn't want to talk about it."

"That is the main reason it took so long for us to get together." she said.

"You are strong Jade, you really are. Nothing is going to get in the way of that."

"I think you need to know the whole story." she said.

"So does your son, I think we shall wait so he can hear honey."

"I never wanted him to find out the truth."

"He allready knows part of it." he said.

Jade went to call for a temporary babysitter to watch Crystal. Soon Brandon showed up with Crystal. He was about to leave again when Jade said.

"I need you to come and sit and listen to me."

He reluctantly agreed and came and sat down on the couch. Soon the babysitter came and took Crystal out to get some ice cream.

"What do you want mom?" he sneered.

"Don't give me that attitude young man. I'm still your mother and I demand respect."

"I'm sorry, my life just cahnged in a blink of a second."

"About that Brandon, I want you to know the whole truth."

"What do you mean the whole truth. You were raped and I was concieved."

"That is only part of it sweetheart." she said.

"I always wandered what happened in your past."

"I just want you to know, that having you made the tragedy so much better. I'd never go back and change things because I love you."

"I love you too mom." Brandon said

"Enough time stalling, I need to get this out."

"Take your time honey." Ivan said

"I was heading home from school at lunch time. I heared someone in the bush. He came over towards me. I began to move forward. He pretended to need directions." Jade paused.

"Why did I listen to him." she cried. "I listen to him, he came and pulled out a knife. He whispered if I scream he was going to kill me. I did what he said. He motioned me towards his van. Of course I had no choice." Jade stopped to cry.

"You don't have to continue." Brandon suggested.

"I'm going to tell the rest ." she shouted taking a deep breath before continuing. "He took me to some barnyard. He forced him self on me. I begged him to let me go, he laughed at me and ripped my clothes off of me." she stopped and began screaming. "YOU DID THIS TO ME." she finally calmed down.

"He raped me, I used my phone to save me. A few months later after he was convicted I found out I was pregnant. I have to admit that I thought about having an abortion, but didn't because I felt a bond with you. My mom tried to get me to have one. She said that I needed to concentrate on my future. I said that I wasn't going to kill my baby because you were my future. I told her that she couldn't force me to have an abortion. Months went by and it was early in the morning I was going to into labor. My brother Hibe was there. He was going to drive me to the hospital. He apparently had too much to drink and was swerving all over the road and lost control and hit another car. I began to cramp up. I made it to the hospital and they managed to save you. It was a close call, but the girl in the other car was not so lucky. My brother was arrested with drunk driving causing death. I could never forgive him, he almost killed mea nd my baby. My parents disagree with my hatered for him. My mother was also trying to take over taking care for you. One day I had enough when she threatened to take away my baby. She took you out without my permission and thats when I moved out. I went to live with a friend for a few weeks before I found a cheap apartment so we moved in and my mother once again became to come over trying to take over when I finally said, leave or I'll call the police for trespassing. She got mad and I haven't seen her since. I don't care because this is my life. I worked up to three jobs at one tiem to make enough money, when I found you Ivan and Brandon and my life changed forever." Jade said.

"So you did all this for me mom?" Brandon asked

"Yes, I would do it over and over again a million times again if I had too."

"I hate the guy."

"You mean your father."

"He is not my father he is a sperm donor and that is the way I see him."

Brandon soon left and I soon to get my life back on track.

A couple weeks past when Jade learned it was the day Michael was being released. Brandon said he wanted to meet his father and Jade said its his choice, but then she said she wanted to go with him. So here they are standing outside the police station surrounded by a camera crew. They saw a man walking out. Jade knew it was him even know his hair was beginning to grey and he was a bit skinnier then he was. She saw him for what he was. She began to shake in fear.

"Brandon I can't do this." Jade cried.

"I'll go." Brandon said and got up before Jade could say anything. Brandon approached the man.

"Who are you?" Michael asked Brandon.

"Brandon Kirk!" Brandon replied.

"Kirk! That name. You related to Jade Kirk. What do you want?" he asked

"I'm her son."

"Just tell her I'm sorry. I got to go."

"Why don't you tell her your sorry yourself." he said. Jade got up and came

© Copyright 2007 hi~my dead line is coming up (tuscany123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1308614-Consternation-Cataclysm