*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1310727-Can---Can
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1310727
A man is about to cheat on his wife.
"What are you thinking about?" she askes, sensing that he wasn't totally with her
He pauses for a moment before answering.
"I was just thinking of someone doing the Can - Can"
Oh,” she said, reassured.
“For a moment I was afraid you were thinking of your wife.”
He forced a chuckle. They didn’t speak for the rest of the ride. Him too uncomfortable, afraid of what he might say. She glanced at him from time to time in the car, unsure of how to act now that they were on their way. She tried to think of what attracted her to him in the first place. Was it his piercing eyes, the way the seemed to shine, or maybe it was his kind nature. The more she thought about it, the more if became apparent that it was just the fact that he wasn’t her husband.
They finally reached the summer cottage. It was beautiful. They could hear the water crashing from the beach not far off. The sun shined down on them making them have to squint a little.
“So, this is it,” he finally says after what felt like eternity.
“It’s gorgeous isn’t it?” she asked looking him in the eye.
They walked toward the house. He took the key out of his pocket and opened the door. It was bigger than it had looked from outside. The sunlight shined inside from all the windows, making it bright. It was sort of breathtaking he thought. Something his wife would have liked to see. She would have loved it here.
Just then Sarah puts her arms around him. He suddenly becomes uncomfortably aware of who he is here with, forgetting for that brief moment. He needed to get out of there, he needed to think. What am I doing here? He thought to himself.
“I’m going to the store up the road, is there anything you want?”
She was taken back. She pauses a moment before answering.
“Some wine would be nice,”
He left the house. As he drove in the car to the store, he thought of his wife at home with his kids.
“What am I doing?” he said out loud to the empty car.
He reaches the store. Chimes moved about making a melody as he opened the door. An older man was sitting behind the counter.
“Is there anything I can help you with?” he asks.
He realized that there wasn’t anything he wanted from the store. He just needed to get out of the house. He just needed time to collect his thoughts.
“Do you have any wine?” he asks now
“Yes, yes of course. Any kind in particular you’re looking for?”
This threw him off. She hadn’t said and he didn’t ask. He thought of his wife’s favorite wine. He stood there thinking of last New Year as she danced about, smiling. He remembered thinking how beautiful she looked, that was when she got pregnant again.
The old man behind the counter studied him.
“Sir?” the old man prompted.
He looked at the old man now but still didn’t respond
“Can’t remember what kind your wife likes?” the old man asks now, half smiling.
“Uh…” he starts and then as if changing his mind he stopps.
The old man looked him in the eye now. Looking at him almost as if he could read his mind, see right through him.
“My wife and I haven’t been together for years now but, that’s one thing I never forgot. You never appreciate what you have until it’s gone,” The old man said with this look of regret of his face.
And then as if having this epiphany,he knew.
“Your best red wine please,” he finally says.
As he drove, he looked at the wine bottle in the passenger seat. He smiled to himself. Anticipating what was to come, he could hardly wait.
When he finally reached, he opened the door and saw his wife in the kitchen doing the dishes. She smiled brightly at him.
“How was your drive?” she asks
“Great,” he replied holding up the bottle of wine.
Her eyes sparkled. She wiped her hands on the kitchen towel as he walked over to her.
He looked her right is the eyes now.
“Why don’t you come show me that dance again,” he said leading her out of the kitchen.
© Copyright 2007 Cathy The Destroyer (indiecat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1310727-Can---Can